Bike shoping for a beginner?

Kenniestrek
on 3/23/06 9:51 am - NY
Hi I am shopping for a used bike, I like the Yamaha Vstars and Honda bikes as well. I want a crusier style only! It will be my first bike so it should not be too big I'm thinking a 650 / 750 / 1100 should be a good starter. Any suggestions guys?? Kenny 282/238/180
Cruise Director Julie
on 3/23/06 11:53 am - Dallas, TX
RNY on 11/15/05 with
Kenny; I've got a VStar 650 Classic. It's a great looking bike, but I find it very heavy for it's size and not very powerful. Now, I haven't ridden it since my surgery, so the last time I was on it I was closer to 250 lbs, but it's not as peppy as I'd hoped. The good thing about a 650 is the insurance is CHEAP! I've had my license less than 2 years and my insurance is about $200/year. If you lived closer, I'd let you take mine for a spin so you could make a judgement for yourself. Heck, my husband would probably try to sell it to you because he doesn't think I ride it enough. (I should remind him about all the "toys" he has that he doesn't use...) Blessings, Jennifer 253 / 187 / ???
Angel J.
on 3/23/06 3:14 pm - Troutdale, OR
My Bike WAS a V Star 650 Classic. They are GREAT starter bikes. They are affordable. Easy to handle, you can build your riding skill and confidence on it. They are great looking and handling. I sold mine and moved up to the Road Star 1700 I LOVE it! I am a dyed in the wool Yamaha Star fan! Angel J
(deactivated member)
on 3/23/06 6:34 pm - Tampa, FL
Kenny, if this is your first bike, go to a couple of dealerships. Sit on some of their bikes, and pick them up. This will give you a better feel for what you can handle size and weight wise. After you see what size and weight you like, then you can either buy from the dealer or look elsewhere for those bikes. Good luck and enjoy. Steve
donnafc
on 3/31/06 2:27 am - Lowell, MA
I just caught your post. We have a store here that carriers all kinds (100's) of bikes. Mostly slightly used. It was a great place to go and sit on different styles. Especially the smaller first bikes that people use and trade up. I was convinced I wanted a Kawasaki and then actually ended up with the Suzuki Marader. Both were beginner bikes (800) but after sitting on them you could feel the difference. donna
nhgunnut
on 4/5/06 8:35 am - West CHesterfield, NH
Hi Kenney I think one of the best buys if you dont mind the retro styling is Kawasaki Vulcan VN750. Very snappy drive train like honda you pretty much have to leave the planet to not be able to get parts, and because of the retro styling they are ususaly priced prettey well. I just picked up a 98 woth less than 8k on it in very nice shape for $2200 for my youngest daughter. One more thing if this is your first bike budget for a good safety course and Helmet. I hate helmet laws but won't ride with out one. Get into the Wind
Most Active
Recent Topics
Spring is coming!
JCDan · 0 replies · 321 views
Spring 2010
Moma V. · 3 replies · 462 views
Should I sell my bike????
Jill W. · 3 replies · 553 views