X-Post : Stevia - bitter aftertaste?

JazzyOne9254
on 9/4/12 7:48 pm

I made the decision this month to switch from Splenda to Stevia as a sweetener, even though I tried it once and didn't like it.

The chemical composition of Splenda really does bother me (chlorine molecule takes it from sucrose to sucralose), so I bit the bullet and bought stevia instead of my susual supply of Splenda.

Does anyone using stevia notice a bitter aftertaste, or is it just my tastebuds?

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

berts4
on 9/5/12 9:41 am - Rock City, IL
Not just you.....me too!  I can't stand it.

Tell someone that you love them!
Dawn
253/223/167/127
HW/SW/CW/GW

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/5/12 3:11 am, edited 9/5/12 3:12 am
It is acquired taste. And you can find some stevia that is less bitter or even non bitter. I use liquid stevia made by NOW. 

You can also try the truvia - that is brand that most people tolerate well.

Also - Starting with a mix splenda and stevia - and slowly decreasing the splenda and increasing the stevia - may work well.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Butterfly117
on 9/18/12 4:38 am - Coram, NY
I use TRUVIA. Take it slowly - add small amounts until you find how much you can tolerate. I stopped using the pink, blue, and yellow packets when I did some investigating and learned that artificial (there's that word!!) sweeteners were derived from INSECTICIDES. Don't take my word for it - do a little research. Then pat yourself on the back for not using them.

Until further notice, Stevia is my drug of choice. It's naturally derived. Like I said, until further notice. I fear they will find some evil side-effect in 5 years.

Can't life be easier for us? LOL!

lani069
on 9/24/12 12:42 pm
 Insecticides ...YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!  I use Truvia also . Don't have to use allot as it is sweet. So far use it in cereal. Haven't had surgery yet.

2Julykids
on 11/26/12 5:25 am - AZ
DS on 11/12/12
The brand definitely matters. I had to try 3 or 4 before I found one I liked. However, my friend likes a different one, so all I can say is that they are NOT all equal in taste. Good luck!
Most Active