Premier Protein Problems

bb3nn3tt89
on 4/19/16 3:48 pm

I am officially 1 week post op from my vsg/gall bladder/hernia surgeries (YAY), and I have been drinking the premier protein shakes for the last 3 weeks now.. in the beginning, I really enjoyed the flavors, but, now.. I am struggling SO hard to drink them. I don't know what the deal is but every sip I take makes me want to throw up. I start my full liquids diet tomorrow and will have to start fitting 60gm of protein in my diet I'm trying to come up with some sort of plan (yes, I'm a planner) that I can follow that's actually achievable for me. I went ahead and made black bean soup and pureed it to death so I know there's a good amount of protein in there, and I have unflavored protein powder to add to any other soup etc that I eat (drink) but as far as the premier goes, is there ANY way to.. I don't know.. add something else to it to make it taste different (better) etc.. what has everyone else done? I'm allowed to venture out and try different sources of protein and I'm working on that but for the moment, I have to be able to drink this stuff somehow. 

Thank you in advance!

dog_hair_dinner
on 4/20/16 5:47 am
RNY on 03/01/16

I'm 7 weeks out and I don't mind the flavours, but the Premier Protein shakes are now making me nauseous for some reason.  I tried mixing whey protein powder in lactose frree skim milk, but I got nauseous.  I think I'm lactose intolerant, because milk with lactose makes me nauseous, but lactose free milk goes down fine.  I'm not sure what will work.  I'm sort of in the same boat.  It's difficult for me to get my 60g of protein in with food still.

I'm thinking I will try a vegan protein supplement to see if the nausea goes away.

Allie16
on 4/22/16 3:29 pm
VSG on 04/14/16

I am about a week out as well and cannot tolerate the sweetness of the shakes either. I did find that if you mix the chocolate with some of the Peanut butter powder(PB2), that helped to curb the sweetness and made them a bit better. Also tried freezing them in little cups and that I could at least get down. I have been doing the broth with powder too to try to get my protein in.

MelodyMay
on 4/29/16 6:49 pm
RNY on 03/01/16

I'm 2 months post op and was in the same situation. What I started doing was cutting them in 1/2 with a unsweetened Coconut milk, some fruit, and a scoop of the unflavored Whey protein powder. To keep the sugar low but add flavor, I use strawberries or blueberries with the vanilla shakes and the PB2 w/ the chocolate shake and ice...they are tasty and change the taste/consistency of the Premier Shakes. I basically use the Premier Shakes as a base, and add things to it. 

(Tip: Buy a Magic Bullet mini. It's the perfect size so you don't end up with left over shake and they are super easy to clean. I use mine everyday. )

Melody

HW: 394 SW: 359 GW: 187

NYMom222
on 5/10/16 9:37 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I know you wrote this severak weeks ago, but one of the things I do is heat it up like a hot chocolate. You just need to stir every minute if doing it in the microwave. Sometimes I add 2tbsp torani or daVinci SF peppermint syrup and a little milk. Delicious.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

jennabee13
on 6/6/16 11:30 am

My tastes changed drastically after surgery, so finding drinks to choke down was a challenge. The chocolate premier drinks and my chai tea latte k-cups (added genepro protein powder) were the only things I could tolerate. Everything else was too sweet, even crystal lite packets. My only advice is to keep experimenting and do not buy in bulk. Eventually, by a process of elimination, you will find things that work for you. It's hard though. Good luck!

Most Active