Back on track, where do I start?

maggs101
on 1/22/17 8:14 am, edited 1/22/17 4:43 pm

I had gastric bypass surgery 5 years ago and lost 200 pounds.  I put 100 back on.  I had a lot of issues going on.  Along with moving from a big city to a small town to the biggest and most depressing and heart breaking one was losing my mother last year.  It has been almost a year and it is time to start living again.  I have been mourning the lost of my mother and eating like there was no tomorrow.  I am ready now to get back on track.  I have to lose the weight but I don't know where to start.  I don't know what to eat.  Do I start all over again with liquids and then puree foods, and solids?  I still have problems with food.  I can tolerate junk food but I cannot eat vegetables, meat, salads, etc.  I end up vomiting.  I saw a surgeon last week and he is doing tests on me before any revision is done.  Also he wants me to meet with a psychiatrist to deal with the death of my mother.  I just need help as to what to eat.   Please any advise where to start.  thanks

ddkVSG
on 1/22/17 2:09 pm
VSG on 12/27/16

I'm sorry for your struggles. Does your surgeon have a nutritionist on staff or that they could recommend?  A few visits would help you get back on track. 

Take care

HW 374 SW 339 CW 309GW 195 Surgery 12/27/16

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 1/22/17 5:49 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I'd start with a set of labs just to be sure you're ok nutrition wise, & to get a baseline so you can keep track. 

Go to the rny forum & check out the What are you eating threads. It can give you any idea what your fellow rny'rs are eating.

Forget about the starting with liquids & going through the stages. You have a fully matured pouch, doing that again is really more of a mental reset, to me its torture. You couldn't pay me to go back to liquids.

Log everything you're eating in an app like My Fitness Pal, to get at least a baseline of what you're eating now & move forward from there.

My plan has me getting 80oz of water, 80oz of protein, along with vitamins. My plan didn't originally have me counting carbs or calories but I still keep track anyway. Mostly carbs around 50, I aim for 30 when in weight loss mode. Calories 1200, or between 800-1000 when in weight loss mode.

My deepest condolences on the passing of your mom. I lost my Dad years ago & I miss him everyday.

Look into therapy also, so the next time you experience such a terrible loss, you won't turn to food to cope.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

maggs101
on 1/22/17 7:19 pm

thanks so much for your advise.  I will try what you said.  I  am sorry about you dad.  I know it hurts so much.  thanks again.

DubfromBP
on 1/31/17 12:52 pm
VSG on 10/13/15

Sorry for your struggles.

The first thing I"d do is to subscribe to the belief that There is NO Comfort in Food.  None.  

Flip the switch and turn to exercise and healthy outlets.  You'll feel much better.  The endorphin rush alone will lift your spirits. The return to losing the weight will make you feel so much better and more confident in the your future.

Maybe you can kickstart things with a 7 day or 14 day liquid diet....low carb protein shakes and vitamins.  Get squarely in ketosis and ride the low carb wave as you resume solid foods.  Stay in ketosis and lose, lose, lose.   Track your calorie intake.  Track your exercise and calorie burn.

Track and plot your new course.

Keep things simple.  

Live, love and make the most out of what your surgeon has done for you...........live your life without excuses and without regrets.

stacey1273
on 2/5/17 8:36 am - Belleville, MI

I am so sorry to hear about your loss.  I'm doing a diet myself since I've regained.  I am doing between 1500 - 2000 calories a day (which was very low to what I got myself up to eating).  And,,,,i work out 5 times a week.  I started slow and I do only what I can.  I'm only in competition with myself.  Like you, I got to the point where I was constantly sick, but it was due to regain, and caused a bunch of stomach problems.   Try eating smaller portions of what you are used to.  When you start out, try eating a half chicken breast, the stop yourself, and don't drink anything with it.  You will feel really hungry after that, but then after about 20 minutes, you will feel full.  You may be getting sick, like I did, because I was grossly overeating....hurting myself.  I had to stop.  This is how it worked for me.   Talking to someone about your mom will help too.  I lost mine and it caused a lot of anxiety too,  that can also make you sick.   I wish you the best of luck with everything.  Hang in there.  message me if you need to talk to someone, that's what we are here for, support.

Stacey Elliott

maggs101
on 2/5/17 2:17 pm

thanks Stacy for the reply.  Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it.  I am getting some help for the loss of my mom.  I am just waiting for the surgeon to set up an appointment with a psychologist and a nutritionist. I am also waiting for my appointment to have my tests done by the surgeon.  I am just taking one day at a time right now.  I am trying to join activities in the community like mall walking.  There is not much here since I moved from Toronto to a small town.  I really appreciate offering to talk, thank you so much. Maggie 

stacey1273
on 2/11/17 5:32 pm - Belleville, MI

You're very welcome.  Sounds like you got a lot on your plate, with moving, your loss, and trying to get your health back in order.  One day a time is all you can do.  I'm happy to hear you are trying to join activities.  Sometimes it's best when we do that, keeps our mind in order too.   Good luck, and again, message me if you need to talk.

Stacey

mi75
on 2/9/17 7:51 pm
VSG on 06/01/14

WOW- I could have written this post myself. almost to a T!

I lost just about 70 lbs but have regained 30. struggling with a physical move, job relocation, and loss of a parent too. I have not really mourned, I don't think...I find myself overwhelmed with bouts of tears and almost hyperventilating, because the hurt becomes so severe in my heart, but I force myself to divert and think of something else.

I am seeing a new surgeon, and have an appointment with their PSYCH in 2 weeks to start dealing with all this. I feel like all of these changes/losses combined are what pointed me in a downward spiral. I too can tolerate almost ALL sugary junk.

I am very committed to get back on track, and have really tried to research various  things. the information out there is absolutely overwhelming.

spouse  and I were going to try keto, but I keep watching youtube videos to learn how to calculate/track all those macros and i'm becoming more confused by the minute.

going to just try some VERY BASIC bariatric rules: 80g protein, water, drop the soda, decrease the carbs big time, and clean it up. that's my starting point...

good luck to you and my condolences.

Most Active