Can I realy do this!

BrigitteD
on 7/28/11 11:30 am - Sumerstown, Canada

I know you guy's probably herd this before.  I'm usually a very strong and a go getter person but this time I'm really second guessing myself.  Especially with all the fighting I have been doing with my husband, the one person who I taut would support me completely, not so sure anymore! He says he's in this with me and then he would ask me to pick up BERGER KING OR TIM'S COFFEE.

Can I really stop eating junk food? Can I make it threw optifast?  What if I have the surgery and I eat myself to death!  How I'm I suppose to feed a large family of 5 children and eat half a cup of food? I want this so much but so scare at the same time.

Feeling such like a failier right now! So sad!

Highs weigh   241                                      Referal: November, 2010
Before opti     231                                      Surgery date: May 10, 2012
After opti        220                                           

JJ_
on 7/28/11 11:49 am
Brigitte, yes you can do it.  You have 5 children that are depending on you.  What would happen if you didn't look after your health?  Who would look after them then?  What if you had a stroke and were not able to look after yourself, let alone anyone else?

It is time to put Brigitte at the head of the line for looking after yourself.  It is like the demonstration that they do on airplanes.....before you help anyone else, you need to put the oxygen on yourself first OTHERWISE YOU CANNOT HELP ANYONE!!

You can do it.  Continue to read posts here on OH, look for a local support group that you can attend too.

It is possible.

Judy
BrigitteD
on 7/28/11 12:21 pm - Sumerstown, Canada
Thank you so much you are so right when you say it Brigitte time!  I cried reading you're post, it felt so good to see a perfect stranger caring about me like you guy's do. Million thanks for reminding me how important I' m to this family,

Before opti     231                                      Surgery date: May 10, 2012
After opti        220                                           

MAD-Dave
on 7/28/11 11:49 am - Canada
I have failed at weight loss so many times, I share some of your fears. My biggest vice is junk food, my wife hasn't quite wrapped her  head around this all yet, but I am sure that the pressure is on she will help me pull through.

I keep a journal. It helps clear my head. Good Luck!
Orientation: 19 July 2011     Nurse/SW: 17 Oct 2011 Nutrition Class: 22 Nov 2011
Dietician/Psychiatrist: 24 Nov 2011 Surgeon: 9 Jan 2012  PAATS: 1 Mar 2012
Surgery: 23 March 2012
Dave...

BrigitteD
on 7/28/11 12:37 pm - Sumerstown, Canada
I'm sure that when push come to shove my husband will be there to but this is so scary, how I'm I not going to not eat on optifast?  Just hard to imagine.  Thanks for your reply!

After opti        220                                           

Monica M.
on 7/28/11 12:08 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
Brigitte, you can do this.

Fighting is so normal right now. Your husband and family have likely always expected you to do things for them, and this is something you need to do for yourself. They're going to have to make adjustments too.

You have five kids. How old are they? Can they start picking up some of the food preparation responsibilities now, so that you can take care of yourself rather than take care of them all the time.

When my kids were about 14, they started doing some of the cooking (my husband is totally useless in that regard).

if its going to bother you to see them eat more than you, maybe eat by yourself for a while, until you think you can handle it.

You have time now, before surgery, to start preparing your family for the new you, and their new reponsibilities.

You need to be straight up with your husband and tell him that picking up food for him is a problem for you. Unless he's confined to his bed, i dont see why you need to pick food up for him.

It's so very normal to be scared at this stage of the game. It's a huge change that you're making. You're being selfish, but in a good way. You need to be selfish so that you can be the person, the mother, the wife that you deserve to be.

BrigitteD
on 7/28/11 12:33 pm - Sumerstown, Canada
I have one 16 year old son, one 15 year old niece that lives with use cause her mom was on drug's, 0ne 4 year old girl and 2  fifteen month old twin girls. I guess the older ones can do Somme for a change.  My husband can Cooke. Great advice to start those change before surgery to get a feel of what is yet to come.

No more putting myself second.  Thanks for the great advice.
People are not going to be happy!  But I'll be healty.

After opti        220                                           

Monica M.
on 7/28/11 9:28 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
not putting yourself second is the single most difficult thing to do. A lot of what us here have in common is our tendency to take care of others.

Not only is it good practice for them, for the future of your household, but its going to prepare them for life in the big world, when they have to take care of themselves. Why don't you assign each of the teenagers at least one night to cook, and your husband a couple of nights.

I have twins as well, although mine are nearly 20 now. And very responsible, caring girls, who take care of themselves.

your health is paramount in this process. It means you'll be able to be a better person, mother, wife, aunt.

Sher1ock
on 7/28/11 12:15 pm - Canada
 I'm not saying there's not a lot of head work to be done for all of us, but one thing I keep telling myself when I ask questions, or even when other people ask "how can I possibly only eat a cup of food?" is that I'm asking that with my old brain and my old stomach.  Your new physiological reality will help with that...there will be a different hormonal mix, different nerve sensations, etc.  I trust the fact that the veterans are telling me that I WILL FEEL FULL, as much as I am incapable of understanding that right now.  Your body will send you the right messages that will make success possible.  You can concentrate on retraining the 'between the ears' stuff, but know that you will not be going into this battle unarmed. This isn't like other weight-loss attempts that rely on willpower alone.

Hang in there!

BrigitteD
on 7/28/11 12:24 pm - Sumerstown, Canada
That makes lot of sense!  Thank you!

After opti        220                                           

Most Active
Recent Topics