Travel for business after surgery????

MS Miller
on 8/22/11 7:25 am - Nepean, Canada
Hi,

I have a question, I am having mu Surgery Sept 13th, I have a work meeting in the US that would require 2 flights and 5hrs travel time, it would be on the 26th for 3 days, do you think if all goes well I could physically handle it?

Thanks Sue

Surgery Sept 13th 2011 Dr. Hagen 
(deactivated member)
on 8/22/11 7:28 am - Guelph, Canada
 OUCH that would be cutting it close... I am pre op but I would not risk it 13 days post op unless cleared with your doctors
MS Miller
on 8/22/11 7:30 am - Nepean, Canada
Hi,

I did ask him, he said he did not see a problem, go figuire.

Surgery Sept 13th 2011 Dr. Hagen 
(deactivated member)
on 8/22/11 7:32 am - Guelph, Canada
 wow go for it then!.. just make sure you have your ducks in a row so that you can bring your liquid diet with you in your carry on .. find out fron the GTAA and other airports what you need so they wont refuse you boarding
Ready-for-change
on 8/22/11 8:02 am - Hamilton, Canada
Hi Sue,

I'm not having RNY surgery until Sept 14th so I can't speak from experience.   I do know that I don't bounce back too quickly from surgery so I wouldn't travel out of country that soon.  You'll probably laugh, but I even thought twice about booking a 3 day conference at the end of October and then decided I should be fit as a fiddle by then.   Have you had surgery before and do you recover quickly?

cynci
on 8/22/11 8:25 am - Canada
I would check for sure and was told no air travel until 6 weeks after.  Even then, I was so swollen from the plane I had to get new shoes as the old ones wouldn't fit.  When I returned, the doctor said that it's due to post-op swelling which the plan aggravates.

I would say no but see what your doctor's policy is on it depending on the type of surgery he's doing.  I had an open DS.

Robin H.
on 8/22/11 2:12 pm - Thunder Bay, Canada
 Thunder bay people and North western ontario have to air travel within days of surgery or endure 18 hr car ride and the medical profession says please fly!

sam1am
on 8/22/11 10:02 am
Hi Sue,

It would have been no problem for me.  I was back to work in a week (desk job) and had no problem other than being a bit more tired than usual.  Everyone is different, it's hard to say.  Have you had other surgeries and how was your recovery?

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

JJ_
on 8/22/11 11:26 am
 I am thinking about another angle - medical insurance.  If you have any complications and need to see a doctor, this would be considered a pre-existing condition and would not be covered by my extended health care.  

Please look into this before something happens and you are staring at big bills from the States.

joanne_1970
on 8/22/11 12:26 pm - Harriston, Canada
Shows you the difference in centers.  I had a work trip scheduled for last week of Oct and having surgery Sept 1st and was told I couldn't travel for 3 months.  So my options were cancel the trip or postpone the surgery.  I cancelled the trip

Most Active
Recent Topics