Humber Hospital check out times???

MS Miller
on 9/1/11 10:12 pm - Nepean, Canada
Hi,

After my useless meeting with the nurse during my PATTS yesterday, she could not answer any of my questions, she just was a information gatherer.

So my question is, after te surgery when you got sprung what time did they spring you, I need to book my flight home, yes I am not staying for a week, Dr Hagen said that since I am from Ottawa and they have surgeons there, I could go home instead of hanging out for 5 extra days. I want to book this weekend during the Porter sale 50% off.

Thanks for your help Sue

Surgery Sept 13th 2011 Dr. Hagen 
Karen M.
on 9/1/11 10:29 pm - Mississauga, Canada
I'm not sure that there *is* a specified check-out time - it seems to be when they feel you're ready to go.  Others may know better than me though! 

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 9/1/11 10:33 pm, edited 9/1/11 10:37 pm - Guelph, Canada
hospitals are not like a hotel.. there are not "booked" check out times... if your doc releases you at 9am consider yourself lucky.. you may not be discharged will 9pm...

it will all depend on how you are feeling and how you are healing... AND when your doc gets into see you while on rounds...

the nurse cant predict when that will happen..

you can do one of a few things... book it for the expected release date in the evening.. OR book it the day after your expected release date to give you a grace time.

remember a hospital is not jail... you dont have to wait for them to release you... you can jump down off the OR table and walk out the door... they will try and talk you out of it but there is a AMA form you will have to sign (its the "against medical advice" release form) .. and in a nut shell it states that if you drop dead or have any complications because you would not sit put till it was safe to be released the hospital and or its staff are not responsible.
jaay
on 9/1/11 10:34 pm - Canada
Hi Sue, 

I am curious as I am going to have my surgery with Dr.Hagen and will be coming from Ottawa did you have to stay in Toronto a few days once you are released from the Hospital or can you go straight home?   I have my appointment to meet Dr.Hagen Sept 7th and hopefully get a surgery date did you get your right away or did they call you?  When is your surgery? 

Thanks

Jaymie

MS Miller
on 9/1/11 10:39 pm - Nepean, Canada
Hi,

Thanks, I know a hospital is not a hotel, but I guess I'm just confused from this useless nurse I met, she gave me a form stating that discharge is 9am.
I am going to make my flight for Friday, that gives me an extra day, I have no choice since I have no one to pick me up before, and taking a 1hr flight is better than a 5 hr train ride with a change of trains.

Thanks S

Surgery Sept 13th 2011 Dr. Hagen 
(deactivated member)
on 9/1/11 10:44 pm - Guelph, Canada
 see if they have insurance or if they are flexable on the booking date... if the flight is typically NOT a packed flight they may allow you some freedom incase you are delayed for some reason
flyingwoman
on 9/1/11 10:59 pm
is Dr Hagen aware that you are flying home immediately?

You might want to be cautious about flying immediately after surgery. The #1 risk in the first few days after surgery is a pulmonary embolism and that risk is made significantly worse by flying, which has an elevated risk of pulmonary embolism due to deep vein thrombosis.

Flight insurance will not cover you for your flight at all, neither will normal travel medical insurance. Most airlines will bar you from travel if you have had a chest or abdominal surgery within 4-6 weeks of the flight.

here's a good article (It's from the UK, but the information is medically valid) http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/Flying-with-Medical-Conditions.htm
Monica M.
on 9/1/11 11:03 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
Ahhh..the best laid plans...

like others have said, there is no specific 'check out' time. You're discharged after the doc sees you. That is usually earlier in the morning than later, but hospitals are unpredictable places. your surgeon may have an emergency to attend to, and can't see you to discharge you until later.

you could have complications, and need to stay in hospital longer than anticipated.

What i would suggest, is booking one night at a hotel, and book your flight for the day after you anticipate being discharged.

Gabygee
on 9/1/11 11:23 pm - Canada
IMO you are spazzing about something that would be better left alone.

I understand that most surgeries are routine these days, but let us not forget that this is still a major disruption in your body, and a lot can happen on the table - and in the days that follow.
My intention is not to scare you off the surgery, but to stress that a seat sale's importance does not compare with your well-being after major surgery.

If the doctor sees you at 8 pm and says you can go home, then tell him about your travel issues.
This stuff can be negotiated.
But walking out of a hospital with holes in your gut because there was a sale on tickets is not a wise decision in my opinion.

brenda65
on 9/1/11 11:39 pm - Ottawa, Canada

well said!
January 14 2011- Orientation at WMC
July 4- Sugery

Most Active
Recent Topics