IT\'S BEEN A YEAR....OMG, WHAT A YEAR IT HAS BEEN!

Cathy_D
on 9/22/11 1:18 pm - Canada

I always see other's posting their one year, and I wasn't going to because I have nothing to say that hasn't already been said by those before me.  I decided I would just to celebrate my success and share how fricken amazing the last year has been...

I started this journey at 308 lbs when a referral was made.  By the time I started Optifast I was at 318lbs, talk about eating my way until the last minute!!!  When I was wheeled into the OR on September 21, 2010 I was down to 300 lbs thanks to three weeks of Optifast.

Surgery was great, felt good, but unfortunately in day two realized something was going on and was brought back to OR for a "look see".  A blood clot was found, removed and I was on the mend in hours.  Never once did I feel worried for my health.  I was in the best hands and the team I had was FANTASTIC.

Some disappointed followed me home, when I stepped on the scale five days after my surgery and I was up to 320 lbs...OMG..WTF.  Obviously that was swelling, and fluids etc....because in no time, did I drop the weight.

Three weeks after surgery I joined out local gym and have gone 3-4 times a week every since last October.  Sometimes I have to push myself but mostly I like it. 

This year has been incredible.  I have done things I haven't in years:  riding a bike; rollar skating; riding rides at Wonderland; wearing a bathsuit to the beach....shall I go on??

One of the things I remember most is when my 7 year old son hugged me and his hands were able to touch behind my back.  He looked at me and said, "Mommy, my hands touch.  You are like a paperdoll".  It is incredible what this surgery has done for me and my family.  We are having fun; i have so much confidence; and i am complimented all the time.  I am being told I have to stop losing weight, as I have none left to lose.  That isn't completely true, but I can see what they mean when I compair my before and after. 

This is going to happen for all of you who are waiting for the surgery.  This has been incredible and i have been lucky as far as eating goes. I occassionally get the foamies, but have never really been sick to date. 

When I started I didn't take my measurements, which I somewhat regret, however some of the stats I do know are below: 

318lbs when started, wearing a 24/26 and a 3X top.  Today I am 175 lbs (YES, that is a loss of 143 lbs in 12 months), wearing a 10/12 and LARGE top.  Sometimes a medium depending the make. 

Anyway, I just wanted to share some of my successes.  There is nothing you haven't heard but for my celebration I wanted to share. 

I'm looking forward to hearing about all your ANNIVERSARY stories!!!! 

Cathy_D
on 9/22/11 1:21 pm - Canada
SORRY...forgot my BMI.  Didn't realize what it was until after I posted and checked..had a happy heart attack. 

I started with a BMI of 52.6 and now at 29.1.  INCREDIBLE eh!!!  I am now considered overweight and no longer the high end of morbidly obese......SO FRICKEN HAPPY!!!!   

Lisa_Toronto
on 9/22/11 9:39 pm - Toronto, Canada
Yay!  well done Cathy.  Congrats on your new life! 

weight loss includes 25 lbs before optifast         
mypita58
on 9/22/11 1:23 pm - Windsor, Canada
 Congrats on a great year! 
Glenda    
Do not pray for an easier life, pray to be stronger.    JFK            
Lorraine M.
on 9/22/11 2:12 pm - Canada

What a terrific motivating story for all us pre-opers.

Thanks for sharing and a big congratulations to you too for all your success.

I can only hope to be where you are in a year.

stewartjackie
on 9/22/11 2:58 pm - Pickering, Canada
What a great post, so inspirational to us all. I'm only 6 weeks out, but it is wonderful how I feel and when I read stories such as yours I just smile. Thanks!
Jackie

Kathy R.
on 9/22/11 4:01 pm - Hamilton, Canada
RNY on 01/27/12
Wow, congratulations Cathy!  You look great in your pic and you are obviously extremely happy!  It gives me hope and helps to get me remotivated when I hear success stories like that!
Kathy         StevesGal (Beth) is my wonderful angel     SURGERY January 27, 2012
HW: 297  Weight at referral: 285  Weight 1st appt: 276  Start of Optifast: 262

JJ_
on 9/22/11 4:26 pm
Congratulations Cathy.  May your journey continue to be successful! 
Leslie W.
on 9/22/11 5:46 pm - Cobourg, Canada
Thanks so much for sharing your story. It is an inspiration as I sit here at 345 am. Just a little over 2 weeks and it will be my turn. Thanks again. Leslie

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Cathy_D
on 9/24/11 12:13 am - Canada
Hi Leslie
Relax and enjoy the ride....is really all i have to say.  It is some incredible stuff I will tell you.  I wish you a speedy recovery and much success.

Most Active
Recent Topics