how does Patts work for out of towners?

Robin H.
on 9/30/11 12:31 am - Thunder Bay, Canada
ok question to those who used an assessment centre to start this process.  Is patts done at surgical hospital or is it done at the local assessment hospital and information forwarded to surgical site.  And if done at surgical site do they do it the day befor surgery to avoid excessive travel?

Robin

mypita58
on 9/30/11 1:26 am - Windsor, Canada
 I am fron Windsor and had to go Aug. 5 to TWH for the surgical consult, Aug. 12 back to TWH for the PATTS and then back to TWH Sept. 2 for surgery. Since my PATTS was at 10:00am, we went up to Toronto the day before and stayed at the Super 8 on Spadina. If you show proof of appointment you can get a room discount if there is a room available.
Glenda    
Do not pray for an easier life, pray to be stronger.    JFK            
Robin H.
on 9/30/11 1:58 am - Thunder Bay, Canada
would work if was in driving distance from Hamilton but being 2 days drive it would be air fair

Megan M.
on 9/30/11 2:28 am - Canada
Your pre-op will be arranged for the morning of the day before surgery.  Hopefully your surgery won't be on a Monday b/c your pre-op would be on Friday and you'd be stuck down east over the weekend (which may or may not be a bad thing depending on your point of view!)  When they called to give me my surgery date, Krista said she would arrange the pre-op for the day before.  If it ends up being different, get back in touch with Krista.

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

Megan M.
on 9/30/11 2:30 am - Canada
Then, when you book your flights, you need to account for a few days in the area for after the surgery.  We went down on Wednesday, surgery on Friday, out of hospital Monday morning, headed to TO on Tuesday afternoon, and flew home Wednesday afternoon (but I really could have flown home on Tuesday evening.)

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

Robin H.
on 9/30/11 2:54 am - Thunder Bay, Canada
Thanks megan great info.  Where did you stay or your travel partner while in Hamilton?
Robin

Megan M.
on 9/30/11 3:46 am - Canada
We stayed at the Crowne Plaza downtown.  The rooms are beautiful - hospital rate was around $100/night, but that might be less now that summer is over.  It's less than 15 minute walk to the hospital, and a cab ride is under $7.  We rented a car for the week - it was cheaper for us to do that than to find our way to and from Hamilton - rental for a week is less than 2 days pre and 2 days post.  Enterprise has the best rates.  We wanted the vehicle so we could go to Niagara on the Lake and to some wineries.  If you could arrange for you and your mom to have surgery at the same time, you could share those expenses and maximize your travel grant.

maxlake
on 9/30/11 2:59 am - Canada
Ok Kiddo....get the scoop and share....what is patts...these short forms are killing me...Love Mom xxxooo

Robin H.
on 9/30/11 3:06 am - Thunder Bay, Canada
pre admission testing and teaching i believe

Megan M.
on 9/30/11 3:48 am - Canada
I think that's right.  Mine took about an hour and a half, but I have heard from others who took several hours.  You see 4 or 5 different people for different things - someone will do blood, someone else will get your weight and height, you'll talk to an anesthesiologist, and I can't remember what else.  It's in and out, in and out of the waiting room the whole time you're there, with waiting in between each phase.

Most Active
Recent Topics