Stalls and weight loss

Muddymark
on 10/30/11 10:12 am
Hi,
Just wondering other peoples experience with the amount of weight loss and stalls early out of surgery.  I am 4 weeks out and only down 14 pounds, no weight loss since day 14.  I read lots about stalls and so forth.  I am getting in my protein and my water and not seeing a big difference in inches either.  I am eating the right amount and hoping that eventually I will lose something.  Is has to happen right?

StevesGal
on 10/30/11 10:16 am, edited 10/30/11 10:17 am - Hamilton, Canada
Yes, everyone has at least one stall, usually more as time passes, so don't worry about it.  It's just your body adjusting to the big change it's going thru, and trying to hold on to the fat stores.  Just keep doing it right and eventually you're body will realize you're not starving it and start releasing the fat stores.

It's different for everyone - I didn't have my first stall until about 6 1/2 weeks out, and it lasted about 4 weeks.  But since then I've been losing consistently.

It's not all about the scale, so stay off it (or at least, don't take it to heart).  Stay on track, keep your eyes on the prize, and you'll do fine. 

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.

lovin_life
on 10/30/11 10:34 am - Canada
hi there!
I stalled from 2 weeks post op until 5 weeks post op.. It was hell.. and then I stalled again at 7 weeks out.. But now I'm 2 months and 3 weeks post op and I'm down 54lbs..Keep your head up and put the scale away..I put my scale away after my first stall and now I only weigh myself once a week.. I find when I do this I get more excited because there is more change in a week.. Dont worry.. the scale will move again..

Referral sent to Guelph: April 2010        Second app (Nut/ Nurse): Jan. 31st/ 11
Orientation: September 16th, 2010        Surgery information class: May 10th/ 11          
Sleep Study: No sleep apnea                 Surgeon (Dr.Reed): July 19th/ 11     
H-pylori: Negative                                   PATTS: August 12th/ 11
(Nut/SW/Nurse): Dec.9th/10                     Surgery: August 18th/ 11                 
smiley_k
on 10/30/11 10:55 am
I had a stall in the first two months and from what I've read, they are completely normal. I think I've finally figured out my body that I loose steadily, stall for a few weeks (but loose inches), then start loosing pretty good again. In my opinion, I think it's just my body adjusting. I find that weighing in only once a week, although incredibly challenging because especially for that first few weeks for me, to see it going down everyday was excellent motivation and kept me positive through eating liquid and pureed foods, is really helpful. Also, taking your measurements. Sometime I'll be stuck but I'll take my measurements and find that I've lost inches. Maybe if you haven't already, you could take your measurements and compare every few weeks.  
Katie  ♥     

Leslie W.
on 10/30/11 11:52 am - Cobourg, Canada
I had my surgery Oct 11. The firt 2 weeks lost 16lbs. This last week I have stalled and will be lucky to be done a lb. Trying to keep positive. surrounding myself with my support group and friends. This will pass we just have to hang in there.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Jennifer D.
on 10/30/11 12:50 pm

My strategy is to weigh on my anniversary each month. I can pretty much guarantee I'll go down. Here is a great explanation about early stalls.

The following explanation is courtesy of Diana Cox.

Our bodies use glycogen for short term energy storage. Glycogen is not very soluble, but it is stored in our muscles for quick energy -- one pound of glycogen requires 4 lbs of water to keep it soluble, and the average glycogen storage capacity is about 2 lbs. So, when you are not getting in enough food, your body turns first to stored glycogen, which is easy to break down for energy. And when you use up 2 lbs of glycogen, you also lose 8 lbs of water that was used to store it -- voila -- the "easy" 10 lbs that most people lose in the first week of a diet.

As you stay in caloric deficit, however, your body starts to realize that this is not a short term problem. You start mobilizing fat from your adipose tissue and burning fat for energy. But your body also realizes that fat can't be used for short bursts of energy -- like, to outrun a sabertooth tiger. So, it starts converting some of the fat into glycogen, and rebuilding the glycogen stores. And as it puts back the 2 lbs of glycogen into the muscle, 8 lbs of water has to be stored with it to keep it soluble. So, even though you might still be LOSING energy content to your body, your weight will not go down or you might even GAIN for a while as you retain water to dissolve the glycogen that is being reformed and stored

Jennifer
          Thank you Cheri and Holly!
       Think twice, cut once! I've had 3 surgeries now, RNY, VSG and DS .
                                Ask me about the DS or visit dsfacts.com
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
2011 - Full DS-August 24th
                HW 311   SW 306  CW 235  GW 150
(deactivated member)
on 10/30/11 3:09 pm - Canada
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing that Jennifer
Monica M.
on 10/30/11 9:39 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
someone just posted a chart about the expected rate of weight loss. Try not to sweat it, tho i know its frustrating. It's impossible not to lose, that close to surgery. the challenge comes as you get closer to your goal weight.

laura S.
on 10/30/11 11:23 pm - London, Canada
I was stuck from 1-1/2 weeks to 4 weeks.  When I saw the nurse/dietician for my 4 week appointment I had only lost 13 pounds.  I was so upset!!!  Then in week five I lost 11 pounds all at once!  Don't worry about it.  Your body is just trying to figure things out and it will catch up!!!

All the best,

Laura

Muddymark
on 10/31/11 3:09 am
 Thanks , 
Your mind really keeps playing tricks with you.  Saying things like "this is probably like all the other failures."  Glad to hear stories of encouragement.  

Most Active
Recent Topics