eat more

ollieboysladybird
on 1/9/12 11:49 am - Canada
I really am having a hard time eating slow and I feel like I can eat so much more than it says I should....is it normal to feel hungry and not satisfied with the food you're eating....I should have one melba with my poached egg, but I know I could have 3 or 4 easily. Why shouldn't i?
Sarah

RNY
Surgery Date: December 19th 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

flyingwoman
on 1/9/12 12:10 pm, edited 1/9/12 12:10 am
Because you do not have full sensation in your gut back, and will not for a long time. You can VERY easily overfill, and that can mean pain and puking. Very not good.

Besides, part of the journey is learning to stop eating when you are sated, not when you are sensorily full. As you're likely not even feeling actual hunger, your sated quality isn't even up, you're just eating what will nutritionally take care of you.

Just because you can eat more doesn't mean you should eat more. You're working on that discipline now.

Best,

Mo

Starting BMI 69 w comorbidities | 55 of the weight lost above was pre-op.    
HaroldC
on 1/9/12 7:17 pm - Canada
My Surgery was 1 day after yours, DEC 20th. I have been doing great and following the TWH guide to the letter of the law....at least until last night.

Last night I had my measured portions of fish, peas and sweet potatoes all foods I have already tested with no problems. However last night I rushed through my dinner so I could get my son to his tutoring class. BIG MISTAKE!!!!

Within 5 minutes I was in sever pain in my stomach and back, followed about 15 minutes later by the addition of foamies and 20 minutes after that I began puking. It lasted about an hour but the memories will last forever. This was the most painful awful feeling and experience my body has ever been through.

For me it was a true wake up call that everything that the program outlines is done for a reason and I will continue to measure and weigh my potions, chew my food 40-60 times and most of all eat SLOW!

Eating slow is the toughest part but I force it by putting my utensils down and posting on the OH Forum.

Good luck.
Harold

SW 291  GW 199.9 CW 180 Surgery: TWH Dr. Penner Dec 20 2011
Celebrating life and opportunities for new beginings!!!

(deactivated member)
on 1/9/12 9:47 pm, edited 1/9/12 9:49 pm - Canada
Melba toast is something I can easily eat a whole package of. Why??? Slider food! I really have to do my best to stay away from slider foods because I never feel satisfied when I eat them and they're very easy to overeat. Melba toast, crackers, chips [even those pesky baked pita chips] are all things that go down WAY too easily.

If I want "bread" then I have a wrap - I can usually only manage half a wrap so I feel better about that. I know I wont overeat with those.

ETA: You asked why shouldnt you??? Weight regain! I really fear that if I continue to eat sliders that'll set me up for weight regain in the future. Part of this process is learning to make better choices.
Leanne1
on 1/9/12 11:18 pm - Newmarket, Canada
I agree with the above posters.

Don't you want to succeed?? Us "fat" people don't get this surgery to fail. It takes hard work and really paying attention to what we are stuffing into our mouths and we have to make the right choices.

I, by no means, am a perfect eater BUT I am pretty regimented with my foods, people actually call me the "food nazi"! This isn't to say that I don't "treat" myself, but I had to re-learn that too and it wasn't until I was a year out.

You really need to follow the guide from your hospital. This is about re-teaching yourself to eat slower, make better choices and being mindful of your new tummy. It takes time.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, people also say that since my surgery, my mouth has actually gotten bigger and I have learned not to be so quiet- more confidence

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

ollieboysladybird
on 1/10/12 4:29 am - Canada
birdiegirl
on 1/10/12 5:10 am

Hi Sara

Just my opinion - but I think you took Leanne's advice as a shot instead of the concern that I read...

- you are just 3 weeks out from surgery....and I think it was the rhetorical question you posed "Why shouldn't I..."    with reference to eating additional melba toast  in your original post that raised all kinds of red flags...

I was so frightened when I was an early post op of  1)  screwing this up  or  2)   harming myself....that I didn't question very much.....I just did what I was told...but that was my approach

Nerves were severed during your surgery - they take a long time to heal....your new pouch will not provide you with that full sensation until sometimes too late....measuring is a good idea so you don't eat too much and cause harm......the info you received from your Bariatric Centre likely mentions this....( I hope!)

In my experience on this forum - peoples noses get out of joint the quickest with early post ops eating incorrectly.....and this goes both ways......the newly post op is very sensitive to criticism and the experienced post op cant believe what they are reading.....a combustible combo

So - follow what your centre has instructed....and please measure your food and eat slowly....just like they say...

Barb

Karen M.
on 1/10/12 5:15 am - Mississauga, Canada
Very nicely said, Barb - you're spot on.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Mary A.
on 1/10/12 1:23 am
why shouldn't you..

simply because you don't need it and ALSO because those are bad eat pattern habits..if you could eat more crackers/carbs..you really should investigate or consider trying or adding more protein into your diet....

and yes it is normal at times to feel like you can consume more...resistance is the key and you need to figure out what will help you with that...getting up from the table quicker...and get moving..mot lingering around the food..not having the container/carton of melba toast out in plain view.

It's all about re-training your thoughts and habits.  I am almost 3 years post-op and I am still trying to keep myself in check...but sometimes I slip, the important part is that you realize the error and pick up and make tomorrow a better and more productive day.

A friend of mine on this board had a wonderful saying

"I eat to live, I no longer live to eat"

meaning simply that her world no longer revolves around food.

Are you keeping count of your calories??? maybe you need more calories..just remember that those calories should be from protein.

Is your liquid intake enough???? that helps....

Keeping busy and finding new interesting ways to spend your time, also helps..it helps us not obsess about food.

it's a life long change and the surgeons have given us this tool

"what we do or not do with it is up to us"

GOOD LUCK~!

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Karen M.
on 1/10/12 9:19 pm - Mississauga, Canada
Hi,

Sorry, I had to come back to this post because it's been bothering me. As someone who is almost 6 years out, at goal and maintaining beautifully, allow me to give you some friendly advice.

1.  Follow the rules.  Plain and simple.  They're there for a reason.
2.  Take this opportunity to reprogram your brain and eating habits.
3.  Your nerves have been cut and your insides rerouted - you're still healing, so no, you might not feel "full" at this point.  Don't risk your health.
4.  Try to take the advice of people who have "been there, done that" graciously and without malice.  Your response to Leanne was completely uncalled for - YOU asked for advice, SHE provided it. Plain and simple.

So.  There, I've said my piece, for what it's worth.  Good luck to you.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active
Recent Topics