Struggling

yssirhc
on 2/23/12 1:45 pm - Canada
I am preop and my family knows my choice having a hard time telling my peers. know why :( the woman awork alk so much know if should say anything or not. want to tell some poeple want to end up the topic of the workplace as some poeple are rather mean ad jdgmental. any suggestions struggling :( why am so scared to tell them?
TBIYTC
on 2/23/12 1:51 pm - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 02/29/12
It is your decision whether or not to tell anyone.  Some of us tell everyone, and some of us only tell a select few.  What to say to those you haven't told when you end up losing a lot of weight? "I'm watching what I eat and exercising" - which isn't a lie.  It is your life, not theirs!

TBIYTC-The Best Is Yet To Come Referral-Mar 2011   Surgery Feb 29th, 2012

yssirhc
on 2/23/12 2:18 pm - Canada
Don't want to end up the topic of my workplace
ToNewBeginnings
on 2/23/12 9:14 pm
I totally get that. I didn't want it to be "you know,...the girl who had a gastric bypass who works in (    ). I didn't want it to become my identity. I also didn't want to be discussing it every time I was in the lunch room. There's a lot of work to do, concentrating on yourself and  I didn't want other peoples unsolicited opinions. 

...People will know somethings up or they will believe you are sick.

When asked I would say "I am getting help from my Doctor". That normally ends the conversation. For those that persist I would tell them that "I'm keeping it private for now".

If you say you are "dieting and exercising" it's not a lie but it does make those who are endlessly trying to lose weight feel like they are failures.
stewartjackie
on 2/23/12 2:31 pm - Pickering, Canada
I have only told some people, and that has worked great for me. Some people are very judgmental, and it just isn't worth it. The people I haven't told, when they notice my weight loss, I just say that I weigh and measure everything, drink more water and am getting more exercise, which is the truth.
If in doubt, don't tell anyone at work, just what I said above...you can always change that later.

Monica M.
on 2/23/12 7:25 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
It's definitely a private choice, whether you tell them or not. You might want to avoid the judgment of your peers, which is a very real thing.

For a long time, i was embarrassed to say that i was having surgery. I expected people to tell me i had taken the easy way out. I was embarrassed to admit that i had gotten THAT fat, to need something like this to help me.

I hate to say this, but once you have the surgery, you WILL be the talk of your workplace, whether you tell them or not. Your incredible weight loss will have everyone talking.

You'll get attention. You seem like the kind of person who likes to keep things private, and that's ok (i'm kind of the same way). But you will get lots of attention once you start losing weight, and your appearance starts changing.

Best of luck.

MisterDiminishing
on 2/23/12 8:55 pm - Windsor, Canada
Sometimes coworkers can surprise you with their open mindedness. Most of mine were very accepting and in a couple cases very inquisitive and supportive. My boss has been awesome. Yes there are also one or two neanderthols in the crowd but that is life eh?

the44plan
on 2/23/12 10:33 pm - Lake Huron
RNY on 07/13/12
I so feel for you.  I am also in the same boat.  I work at nuclear power plant with 95% men being tradesmen, contractors, and industrial workers... The cafeteria usually has around 300 people at all times sitting and looking at everyone walk by.  Being a minority mean you already stand out.. Most times I already feel like fish in a bubble.. lol..   EEEEEEEEE..  
But you know, this will not stop me.  I will have to put up a good face and get through it.    !!!!  Im trying not to think about it. 
Referral: Oct 2011   Surgery Date: HRRH July 13th (Friday) 2012        
Tammie

ToNewBeginnings
on 2/23/12 10:56 pm
Men normally won't ask about your weight and what you are doing. I bet you will feel great when you are the "hottie" walking around.
TraceyM45
on 2/23/12 10:57 pm
I have been going through this since surgery.  I have two jobs, the one I work at and have been for the last 8 years is small so I did tell them and all but one of the co workers is supportive, the other doesn't say anything negative to my face but sometimes you can't hide your "judgement attitude" but frankly I don't care. 

My second job I've been at for less than a year and at first it wasn't really mentioned, a couple of the guys asked me if I had lost weight and I just said yes, but recently everyone is asking so I said I am eating well, exercising and following a post surgical program from  my doctor.  Most people are supportive with positive comments I've only had one person ask me if I am "sick or something"-made me laugh.   I don't go into detail unless I am comfortable with the person I am talking to, if they want to know about the surger for personal choice I give them the website.

it is your life, your health and your decision not theirs.

Good luck,

Tracey 

Most Active
Recent Topics