wrong food choices 3 months post

ollieboysladybird
on 3/16/12 11:15 am - Canada
I'm now craving breads and sweets and I admit I've given into them several times now. I feel like a terrible person but still just can't help myself. Anyone else go through these craving issues?

I feel like such a failure!
Sarah

RNY
Surgery Date: December 19th 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Dianadcr
on 3/16/12 11:23 am - Canada
I am two months out and I've been eating way too many grapes. To me that's like my candy. It scares me too because I feel like I'm returning to some of my bad habits.
  Diana

ollieboysladybird
on 3/16/12 11:26 am - Canada
grapes has been something I have been eating also...like you said like candy...really I guess I've had 1 cupcake and 2 lemon bars and that was over a one month period and none of them I ate in one sitting but did go back and finish them at another meal time.

my quantities are not that bad and I am still loosing and keeping active but I'm just feeling really horrible lately because I am now craving all the things I would salivate and easily devour before that got me in the mess of obesity I was in!

I just need to start over I think and really resist temptation and just stop buying this crap that I am putting in my body!

Sarah

RNY
Surgery Date: December 19th 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

(deactivated member)
on 3/16/12 12:16 pm - Toronto, Canada
 You're not a failure...you're a work in progress!  Permanent change is hard and sometimes its two steps forward, one step back for a while.  I'm just over two months out and I'm not having too much difficulty with temptation at this point...but I have been freaked out by how much more I can suddenly eat at one time. Now that the initial post-op swelling and healing have passed, I realize how much this new lifestyle is about choices!  We have to be responsible for everything we put in our mouths and that's the hardest part.

I'm wondering if you are eating enough protein?  I keep reading how eating more protein seems to quell cravings for carbs.  It's worth a try.
JennR
on 3/16/12 12:36 pm
Excellent reply! I like the idea of being a work in progress.

The plain and simple fact is all those behaviours that caused you to still be overweight are still part of you. They did surgery on your stomach, they didn't do anything to really change the way you behave. You have to learn better coping mechanisms to deal with the times when you are craving foods you know you shouldn't be eating. Drink a couple of glasses of water, find something else to do, it's all still a matter of will power.

twins4meplus1
on 3/16/12 12:31 pm - St Thomas, Canada
Tomorrow is a new day. Start over, stick to your plan and move on. The honeymoon phase is so very short so take advantage of it. Onward and downward. Stay away from the simple carbs as much as possible because the more you eat the more you will crave them.

Linda

London and Area Support Group Leader
http://www.london-wls-support-group.com/
Come join the Ontario Plastics Patients Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_Post_Plastics 
Come join the Ontario WLS Vets Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_WLS_Vets/
To get your discounted subscription to OH Magazine
Follow the link below and enter the promo code "Terrio11
http://www.obesityhelp.com/magazine/subscriptions.
html

OH certified WLS Support Group Leader

PatXYZ
on 3/16/12 8:15 pm
There is evidence to suggest that sweets cravings can be curbed with higher protein intake. I don't know how many grams of protein you're getting a day, but you could try increasing it and see if it helps with your cravings.
350Ann180
on 3/16/12 11:00 pm - St. Williams, Canada
VSG on 05/02/12
I had a session with a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist and this is what she sugggested for cravings.

1) Identify the craving - is there something causing it?  Are you stressed. lonely, angry, frustrated?  What can you do to feel better that doesn't involve food (bubble bath, long walk, play with the dog etc)  I am an emotional eater and this is how I get the "happy" feeling I am looking for.

2) Make up cue cards and have them in all your vulnerable places (don't forget to put one in your purse!)  On each card write several reasons why you want to lose the weight - different reasons on each card.  When a craving strikes - pull out a card and read why you are making the healthier choices.  Then picture your healthier and smaller self enjoying your happy place.

Just a few thoughts - hope you find your answers,  Stay strong!

Patm
on 3/16/12 11:36 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12
Your suggestions are really good. I am also an emotional eater. I think most of us are. My son was recently in the hospital. It made me confront how in the past I would have eaten to make myself feel better. I have been keeping a journal and I find writing down my feeling when I feel cravings helps. It makes me confront why I want to eat. I guess just part of the journey

Leanne1
on 3/16/12 11:09 pm - Newmarket, Canada
I used to find the more protein I ate, the fuller I felt for a longer period of time. I still do the same thing ... Protein ALWAYS first and I can't usually eat much of other stuff.

Are you tracking your foods? Try using the formula 40% protein, 30% carbs and 30% fats everyday.

I aimed for 100-120g protein, 40-60g carbs and 50ish g fats everyday. I still aim for at least 100g protein everyday, I try to get up to 100g carbs (for being 18months out) and I don't really watch my fats.

You can do it slow and steady....
Most Active
Recent Topics