Beginning my journey and have lots of questions

Nikkismom
on 4/22/12 2:55 pm - Toronto, Canada

Hello friends,
Tomorrow I have my first 3 hour appointment and I am not sure what to expect. It is possible that I might not be accepted as a candidate because of other health problems that require me to take Prednisone daily and Methotrexate weekly.
Anyway, should the doc agree to accept me I do have some questions that I would like to ask the pros, you people!
1. For how long might I lose my appetite?
2. Will I feel starving after it does return?
3. Will I lose my cravings for sugar?
4. Are there any support groups in the Toronto area?
5. How long is the wait from the first appointment to the actual procedure?
6. Are there any books or resources that I can access to answer my endless questions? I guess I have found an important one here .
Thanks!
Carol

JJ_
on 4/22/12 6:33 pm
Hi Carol,

Welcome to the OH Forum.  Do not worry about not being accepted for WLS due to taking certain medications.  You might be eligible for the VSG instead of the RNY,

1,  I did not lose my appetite really.  I found that I could be satisfied with eating a lot less than normal.  I plan to ensure that my nutritional needs are met.  So yes, you still need to diet and exercise, just the tool of WLS makes it much easier than all other attempts.

2.  I do not feel starving, mind you my intake is:  Breakfast - Snack - Lunch - Snack - Dinner - snack.  If I am at work I may forget to have a morning snack.  When I do snack I try to get either more protein or a veggie or fruit.  Protein makes you feel fuller.

3.  I enjoy Werther`s SF caramel candies from time to time.  I have not eaten a chocolate bar (old favourite) since surgery in December 2011.

4.  Yes, other folks from Toronto will pipe in about those.  (I`m in Ottawa).

5.  It depends on which hospital you are assigned to.  Please specify then others from there can let you know their experience.

6.  Since they do not operate on your brain, if you have any issues about food, there is a good book with Cognitive Behaviour Therapy called The Beck Diet Solution: Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person by Judith S. Beck.  I picked it up at my local library.  Another valuable tool is the SEARCH bar at the very top right of the computer screen.  However, it can get very boring around here if people are not asking questions and getting answers.

All the best on your journey.

Judy

The Beck Diet Solution: Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person

msheavyhearted
on 4/22/12 8:06 pm - Marathon, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/02/12
Hi and welcome. I'll try to answer some of your questions. Keep in mind I'm not yet quite three months post-op so some of your answers will be better answered by the vets. I agree with JJ about the VSG. Keep in mind, however, though refusal for surgery is very rare it can happen. You'll likely find out at your fist appointment whether or not your current health issues preclude you from having the surgery.

1. That depends on the person, really. I didn't have much of an appetite for the first four wkks post op but it has slowly returned. Remember, you still have to eat after surgery to provide your body with the nutrients it needs to function.

2. I don't ever feel like I'm "starving". My hunger came back relatively early at about 4 weeks post op but it's different than before. As it stands, I do feel "empty" when it's time to eat but it isn't uncomfortable and it's certainly nothing like before surgery. I know others who are further along say that hunger does increase the longer you are post op.

3. Although sugar hasn't lost all its appeal, I am much less dependent on it than before surgery. I believe this is part surgery (I don't feel well if I have too many grams of sugar) and mostly the brain change (I chose to severely limit the amount of sugar I eat because I want this surgery to work.)

4. Yes but I'm not in Toronto so I can't comment on where/when.

5. Depends on your centre. My surgery was 19 months from referral but that is a bit longer than most.

6. Definitely pick up "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies". I'm not a fan of the Dummies books as a general rule but this one provided a wealth of information. Just ignore the stuff related to the USA (insurance coverage, wait times, etc.) I also really liked "The Real Skinny on Weight Loss Surgery". Both were filled with indespensible information.

Good luck on your journey!

Thea 
Want to join the CRAZY TransCanada Challenge?? Just message me. Here's a link to the rules: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/on/4570778/REPOST-The-CRAZY-TransCanada-Challenge-Rules/

Nikkismom
on 4/23/12 7:04 am - Toronto, Canada
Thank you Thea. I have just returned from the large group information session. It was very good, however there was not too much more information provided that I hadn't discovered in my research. I am now awaiting my appointments for the next steps which should arrive in the next 3 to 6 weeks.
I guess my main concerns are; Will they accept me with a BMI of 38.8. I am borderline diabetic but not yet so. I also have an unusual autoimmune disorder which, amongst other things, has caused me months of blindness. I now have most of my sight back but do need to take Prednisone daily, which I'm told that is contraindicated postoperatively because of its harshness on my stomach. I guess everything will unravel throughout the process.
Your encouragement is very much appreciated. I am sure I will have more questions!
Carol

Referral April 2012, Surgery August 21, 2012
msheavyhearted
on 4/23/12 7:37 am - Marathon, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/02/12
Your weight is borderline as I believe the standard is a BMI of 40 unless you have obesity related co-morbidities in which case a BMI of 35 is adequate. It will be up to the team to decide if you fit the criteria or not.  I'm not sure if your pre-diabetes is considered enough. Is your auto-immune disorder related to weight or can it be exascerbated by obesity? If so, that should be enough to approve you. Other co-morbidities are sleep apnea and hypertension. There are others but they're slipping my mind right now.

As someone mentioned in an earlier post, a VSG can often be done when someone is dependent on drugs that irritate the stomach. Research has shown that this is great alternative to the RNY and many people are just as successful with it.

I wish you well. Keep us posted on your progress.

Thea
Want to join the CRAZY TransCanada Challenge?? Just message me. Here's a link to the rules: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/on/4570778/REPOST-The-CRAZY-TransCanada-Challenge-Rules/

Monica M.
on 4/22/12 9:24 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
1. For how long might I lose my appetite? it varies. Likely at least a month, maybe longer.
2. Will I feel starving after it does return?No, you'll get used to eating smaller meals. You might be very hungry, but feel satisfied with MUCH less
3. Will I lose my cravings for sugar?Nope. Maybe, but don't depend on it.
4. Are there any support groups in the Toronto area?yes, there are. I'm sure people will post about this, who know better.
5. How long is the wait from the first appointment to the actual procedure?Depends on which centre you're with.
6. Are there any books or resources that I can access to answer my endless questions? I guess I have found an important one here I liked WLS for dummies (Dummies books are on sale on amazon.ca right now, up to 50% off, i think). This forum is an awesome resource as well. But use your WLS team too, that's why they're there.

Welcome to OH!! glad to have you.

Patm
on 4/23/12 1:47 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12
For question 4. At your intake meeting they will give you information. You can contact [email protected] to get on the e-mail list. They are currently meeting twice a month. On the third Wednesday of the month they meet as one large group. On the first Wednesday they break up into people who have not had surgery and those under one year as one group and the second is for people over a year after surgery. This has worked out well since these two groups often have much different issues.
Last week at our meeting someone mentioned it should be manditory for people going for surgery to come to hte meeting to see what the issues are and what to prepare yourself for. Feel free to bring a spouse or suppert person. They can ask questions as well.
As for the drugs, your doctor would have told them on the referral. So they already know and have invited you to the intake meeting.

Leslie W.
on 4/23/12 8:02 am - Cobourg, Canada
Just wanted to say welcome to OH.
If you are goning through Western they do have a support group that meets monthly at the hospital.
I lost my appetite for about 5 months. Now I will feel hungry if I skip a meal, For sweets I am satisfied with a bite or 2 . At TWH it is about 4-6 months from orientation. It does vary from person to person with no real reason why.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Nikkismom
on 4/23/12 2:55 pm - Toronto, Canada
Thank you Leslie. I'm not sure but I think I am going through Humber River.
I am trying to do as much research as possible. Some concern about malabsorbtion of fats affecting some fat soluable vitamin absorption and calcium deficiency.  
Anyway, did you have any resistence from family and friends? I am "only" 230 lbs, with a BMI of 38.8 and many family/friends are telling me that I should just be happy with where I am.
I've decided just to not discuss it or tell anyone else!
I wish you continued success and will be sure to have more questions!
Carol
Most Active
Recent Topics