excercise and walking after surgery

scorpioboy33
on 4/26/12 7:00 am
Hi Guys...this is my last question for a while I promise...
how much excercise and walking did you do after gastric and how soon?
thanks so much
msheavyhearted
on 4/26/12 7:11 am - Marathon, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/02/12
I started walking as soon as I left the hospital. I made sure I got at least 1/2 hour a day. It was February so I just walked (slowly!) around the malls.

At two weeks post op I started walking 5 km/day and have continued that as a minimum most days since. Usually I'm around 9 Km - but that's really my main form of exercise.
Want to join the CRAZY TransCanada Challenge?? Just message me. Here's a link to the rules: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/on/4570778/REPOST-The-CRAZY-TransCanada-Challenge-Rules/

slim115
on 4/26/12 7:11 am - peterborough, Canada
 walking 30 mins day is a good start...
Opti Weight-386lbs.............Surgery Weight- 355 lbs...........Goal Weight- 200lbs        
Dianadcr
on 4/26/12 7:29 am - Canada
The day after I got home I started walking for half an hour a day. I was quite tired but could do it. At eight weeks out and after consulting my centre I went back to the gym and started spinning and weight bearing classes. I feel so good and strong. Exercise is really an essentialn and powerful component.
  Diana

Beth1970
on 4/26/12 7:38 am - Canada
RNY on 10/11/12
I hope it's not your last question! They've turned in to great threads for pre-ops like me!

scorpioboy33
on 4/26/12 7:50 am
thanks buddy :)
cheeky_monkey
on 4/26/12 7:57 am - Ottawa ON, Canada
I have to agree with Beth.....keep those questions coming
Referral:  April 2011 <> OrientationOttawa July 15, 2011  <> Nurse:  April 16, 2012 <> Abdominal Ultrasound:  May 2, 2012 <> Behaviourist/Dietitian:  May 8, 2012 <> Education Class: July 11, 2012 <> Meet the Surgeon: July 31, 2012 <> Surgery Date: August 27, 2012

JJ_
on 4/26/12 9:21 am
It depends on how you feel.  The 30 minutes per day can be split into 6 - 5 minute strolls.  It is more important that you do move as opposed to lying around and the gas building up.

Judy
savasana
on 4/26/12 12:22 pm - St. Thomas, Canada
RNY on 03/06/12
 Everybody is very different.  I was exhausted for the first two weeks and I did walking spurts in ten minute intervals.  After that I started to feel great really quite quickly and I've since added in biking, yoga, and swimming.  I'm seven weeks out and I exercise in one form or another every day on top of having returned to work.  I would have already begun resistence training with weights but I can't find my bloody running shoes for the gym!  I was cleared for weights at the six week mark.   While I am tired, I also sleep great because of it.

You will be able to tell what you an handle for sure, just be certain that no matter how crappy you feel initially that you do get some walking in.

Blu-Diva
on 4/26/12 2:28 pm - Hamilton, Canada
 I'm pre op and need all the questions, do stop.
Your questions are bang right on.

Surgery date May 7 / 2012
Highest 312 lbs - Pre Op 297lbs - now 199 lbs
I know now that my location was never my destination.

Blu-Diva      

Most Active
Recent Topics