Help, opti and constipation, a little graphique sorry!

BrigitteD
on 5/4/12 12:40 am - Sumerstown, Canada
So I'm on day 16 of opti, I'M SO CONSTIPATED I'M GOING TO DIE!  Metemusil is not working.  I fell like I have to go all the time and thennothing comes out.  I've been traying to call the clinic no answer no call back.  Is there anything else I can take.  Even stool softers (old prescription from when I was pregnant with the twins)  that I had cleard with the nurse are not working anymore!

Highs weigh   241                                      Referal: November, 2010
Before opti     231                                      Surgery date: May 10, 2012
After opti        220                                           

debralight
on 5/4/12 12:54 am - Canada
The clinic at Humber back when  I had my surgery said take MOM every hour on the hour til you go..
Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

(deactivated member)
on 5/4/12 12:55 am
RNY on 04/13/12
 Hi
MILK OF MAGNESIUM 
WORKS WITHEN 4hours that's what the Ottawa clinic says to use. Good luck
Kelly
niceeyes72
on 5/4/12 5:30 am - Cornwall, Canada
RNY on 03/23/12
Hi Kelly! So glad to see you on here!!!! I hope things are better for you now!!!

I agree with you Milk of Mag works wonders!!!!!

No issues for me now that i have included All Bran Buds in my protein smoothie!!! 

Tam
Highest Weight: 365lbs
Clinic Weight: 325lbs
Clinic goal:190 lbs
Current Weight: 176.4lbs
My goal:165lbs
Surgery: Dr. Yelle Ottawa on March 23, 2012

(deactivated member)
on 5/4/12 12:59 am, edited 5/4/12 1:00 am - Canada
Milk of Magnesia works well as do Glycerin Suppositories. I would suggest easing up on the Metamucil because it's a fiber and can actually make the situation worse. You need something that'll draw water to the intestines to soften up what's stuck.

And if all else fails....enema time!
Monica M.
on 5/4/12 1:03 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
take Milk of Magnesia.

If that doesn't work, use a suppository, or an enema

Good luck.  I had a horrible time with constipation too.

Gabygee
on 5/4/12 1:48 am - Canada
They are all correct - you have now made very solid what should be soft in consistency - I'm sorry to tell you when it DOES come out, it's gonna be huge and hard as a rock.

Do yourself a favour - get someone to go to the pharmacy for you, and purchase Ducosate Sodium or Ducosate Calcium. They are heavy-duty stool softeners.
"COLACE" is one of the brand-names - but be aware it is dosed for children, so you would have to get the pharmacist to describe how to widen the dose for you.

Anything bran or fiber-related will only make it bigger at this point, and that's not a good idea.
You need to make it liquid, in order to get it out.

You must drink A LOT, in order to have enough liquid in your mmebranes for the stool to get softened - and that will apply after the surgery too.

This is very tough, it was one of the worst parts of this whole experience for me. It was like giving birth every 5 days.
Worst comes to worst, they can remove it manually in Emerg - but that would be if all else fails.

Good luck.

BrigitteD
on 5/4/12 2:11 am - Sumerstown, Canada
The sodium docusate that was the prescription I was talking about.  I took 4 last night and still nothing.  Hubby is gone to get some milk of magnesia at the pharmacy.  Delivering twins was not has painful as this. 

Highs weigh   241                                      Referal: November, 2010
Before opti     231                                      Surgery date: May 10, 2012
After opti        220                                           

Brenda T.
on 5/4/12 5:31 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
Yum that does taste good, like cheesecake.  Thanks :)

Brenda             Visit my profile for timelines                         My  is Monica M.

Brenda T.
on 5/4/12 2:37 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
Yikes sorry you are having this problem... was it ok the first 16 days? I'm on day 9 and mine is loose.
Have you tried the crystal like that has fiber in it? it might give you a nudge with something else.
Hope all clears up soon for you.

Brenda             Visit my profile for timelines                         My  is Monica M.

Most Active
Recent Topics