how much makes YOU full

scorpioboy33
on 5/18/12 3:22 am
I'm three weeks out....feeling alot better...but wonder if I'm eating too much....

I just had lunch...I'm on the soft diet....

I hate 3/4 cup of low fat cream soup and 4 crackers....

I actually probably easily could have ate a whole cup but did not...

is this too much? I just always worry pouch is messed up?

thanks guys
Rachel O.
on 5/18/12 3:34 am - Hamilton, Canada
RNY on 03/02/12
for me...and I am almost 3 months out...I can eat about 3/4 cup depending on what it is.  Soupe I always found tricky as it slides right down.
scorpioboy33
on 5/18/12 3:44 am
ok....it's so hard...I'm forever worried that it's not real stappled...however...I'm physco like that..ok so I should prob. not eat 3/4 of a cup yet....I'm gonna cut back to half than :)
thanks so much
AllaP
on 5/18/12 4:03 am - Vaughan, Canada
 Ask the dietitian. It's better to be sure. Also I always ask myself if I'm sutidfied with a measured ammount of food. Eat half a cup and ask yourself if you' want more. It works for me. 

Now at almost 8 months out sometimes I can eat 3 oz of dense protein and sometimes I can't finish 2 oz. But I learned to listen to my little stomach.

Alla.

scorpioboy33
on 5/18/12 4:13 am
thanks ala :)
highlandbear
on 5/18/12 5:32 am - Canada
 First remember you are still healing so you may not be able to tell when you are full. Soup is tricky  because it is a slider. One way you can tell if you are full is your nose will start to run. i know mine does and it happens to many people who have had surgery.  Your pouch is not messed up. I could always eat more soup than I could food and it still is that way for me. If you are worried talk to the clinic they are there for you and will answer your questions

(deactivated member)
on 5/18/12 11:20 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12
I am not post op so I can not give you any advise but I just wanted to congratulate you on your wanting to be so conscientious  with you food plan. That is just fab I hope I have the same dedication if I ever make it to the bench.
Susan B.
on 5/18/12 2:22 pm - Canada
RNY on 02/17/12
I am 3 months out-my nose never runs so that is not a sign of being full.  I by now can tell when I have had enough-if I don't stop right then I will be very uncomfortable for about an hour or so after.

I had a follow up with the dietitian and she said at 2 months I should be aiming for one cup of food. However as everyone else has said sometimes I can eat more (rarely) more often than not I can eat less. 

The big trick really is to eat very slowly and be very mindful of eating. Do nothing other than eat when you are eating so you pay attention to how you are feeling.  You will eventually sort out what it feels like to be full.

I think at the point you are at prob 1/2 - 3/4 cup would be enough.  However if its a dense or dry (like white chicken) it would probably be less. 

If you aim for 3 main "meals" and 2-3 small snacks as well as your water.  At 3 weeks a snack could be a 1/2 cup of yogurt-the Greek no fat stuff is great! Just add some flavouring or sweetener.

It sounds like you are doing what you are supposed to be doing so congrats!!

From Orientation at TWH to Surgical date~6 months 

Most Active
Recent Topics