How much can I exercise!

BrigitteD
on 6/26/12 4:13 am - Sumerstown, Canada
So I'm about 6 weeks out and I decided that tomorrow is the day that I'm going to join the gym again!  This time I have high hopes!  I so need time to myself that it not just about loosing weight.  It's about getting out of the house and having time to myself.  Exercising at home will never happened between the 2 year old twins and my 5 year old daughter!  So I'm taking time for myself and doing thinks for me for 2 hours a day.  I deserve that much! 

Question is how much can I push  (cardio) and how much weight  should I be lifting, just for toning! 

Highs weigh   241                                      Referal: November, 2010
Before opti     231                                      Surgery date: May 10, 2012
After opti        220                                           

Catw
on 6/26/12 4:29 am - Arnprior, Canada
Each one of us is different.  I'd start off slow, and gradually build up.  I do eliptical and wieght lifting.  For Eliptical, I started of with a low resistance for 20 minutes, and as it got easier I gradually increased the resistance and am now at 10 (started last October).  And I change around the program too.  You may not get a full 2 hours in the first little bit, but being out will help.

I have a buddy who does more workouts that I do, so I get him to help me along with advise.  And he pushes when I need pushing.  So if you can find a buddy to keep you motived it helps a lot.

Cathy

BrigitteD
on 6/26/12 7:59 am - Sumerstown, Canada
I will remember you when I need pushing and you can push all you whant lol.  Great idea about changing ariund my program!

Before opti     231                                      Surgery date: May 10, 2012
After opti        220                                           

Monica M.
on 6/26/12 4:51 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
start slowly, it reduces the risk of injury, which could set you back in your fitness momentum.

Good for you for taking time to yourself!!!

listen to your body, it will tell you when you're doing too much. Make sure you do lots of stretching after exercise, (when your muscles are warm).

BrigitteD
on 6/26/12 8:02 am - Sumerstown, Canada
Hi Monica, I was never one to do warm up's but your totally right I will keep you in mid tomorrow.  Stretching and listening to my body 10-4  rubber ducky lol!

After opti        220                                           

flyingwoman
on 6/26/12 6:42 am
I would start with cardio, and wait to do weight lifting for another couple of weeks. I was told two months before any kind of weight lifting activity. For the cardio, I nwas told just to ramp up reasonably and monitor how I was feeling.

Also, aim to chase your exercise with your protein shake. It helps keeps your body building muscle after your workout. And remember to hydrate!
BrigitteD
on 6/26/12 7:54 am - Sumerstown, Canada
That's a great idea, I will start with cardio and laps in the pool!  I will wait a few weeks to introduce the weights!  Thanks!

After opti        220                                           

Rachelle N.
on 6/26/12 7:46 am
I'm only two weeks out so I am not there yet to offer advise but I just wanted to let you know that I think it's great you're taking time for yourself! Have fun and enjoy your time out.
BrigitteD
on 6/26/12 7:56 am - Sumerstown, Canada
Time for myself is probably one of the hardest things I need to do to be successful with this surgery.  But I'm committed to myself for once in my life!

After opti        220                                           

niceeyes72
on 6/26/12 8:24 am - Cornwall, Canada
RNY on 03/23/12
Sounds like you've got some great advice there...So, go and enjoy some YOU time!!!

Tam
Highest Weight: 365lbs
Clinic Weight: 325lbs
Clinic goal:190 lbs
Current Weight: 176.4lbs
My goal:165lbs
Surgery: Dr. Yelle Ottawa on March 23, 2012

Most Active
Recent Topics