NSV, SV and a change of heart!

DebColCam
on 7/4/12 5:00 am - Canada
Saw my referring NP today whom I trust with my life and we had a great chat. I shared all my fear with her re WLS and she set my mind at ease. So I am going to start the process and she tells me I can change my mind anytime. Also told me to quit reading all the internet horror stories, because it's never the whole story. So here I go HRRH has received my referral and I should hear about orientation date soon.

NSV reduce one of my diabetes meds today

SV today's weight 249.5

5 yrs of research Starting for the second time...Referral Sept 28/17. Orientation Guelph Sept 28/17. Nurse Oct 10/17. Dietician & Social worker Nov. 21/17

TM-Doingitforme
on 7/4/12 5:16 am - Canada
It is good that your NP was able to ease your fears, and you are making an informed decision about how you would like to proceed and understand that you always have options.  I admit that some of the stories were scary, but stepping back and looking at the whole picture and weighing the risks and rewards has helped me with my own decision to proceed with this surgery, it isn't something to leap into blindly.  Congratulations on being able to reduce one of your diabetes meds too!

Referral: May 13, 2012 | Orientation: July 16, 2012 HRRH  | RN, RD & SW: August 24, 2012  |  Surgeon - Dr. Huynh: July 21, 2012  & November 22, 2012 |  Internist - Dr. Glazer: September 21, 2012 &  November 19, 2012 | RNY Surgery: January 23, 2013 (HRRH)

Btrue2u
on 7/4/12 6:04 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 08/20/12
That is wonderful that you thought this through . That is the most important part of this whole process ...and the hardest.  Good luck to you on this journey ...where ever it takes you.  

20AUG12-8AM SURGERY AT ST.JOES IN TORONTO  W/ DR SMITH                        

gardeninggal
on 7/4/12 8:04 am - Midland, Canada
 Yeah for you Deb:

You did the best thing ever by sharing with her and you arrived at your own conclusion.  I hope you continue to be comfortable with all the information over the coming appointments.  I have found all of the people very open and helpful and it is stressed that you can change your mind at any point.  Good luck!

Nancy

DebColCam
on 7/4/12 8:44 am - Canada
Thanks Nancy! I will let you know when I have the orientation, your appts moved fairly quick. Transportation is a bit if a prob for me but my NP told me to ask if I can have some of my appt OTN. Just found out that can be done at Midland office if available through HRRH. That would take away some of my stress too!

5 yrs of research Starting for the second time...Referral Sept 28/17. Orientation Guelph Sept 28/17. Nurse Oct 10/17. Dietician & Social worker Nov. 21/17

(deactivated member)
on 7/4/12 9:31 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12
That's great Deb, I agree with what your doctor said that you can start the process and change your mind any time you want, although I am sure you won't want to.
Susan B.
on 7/4/12 10:26 am - Canada
RNY on 02/17/12
I have been really open about having wls-I have had a great number of people ask me about it.  What I have told people is get a referral, go to the classes, you can change your mind right up to the point of walking into the OR.  No one can force you to walk into the operating room to have the surgery if at that point you change your mind.

The worst case is you spend some time learning everything they will give you and you walk away with more information and able to better deal with your weight and eating.

There are horror stories to every procedure, there are side effects to everything.  I am 4 months out I have lost 90 lbs and I am off my cholesterol meds-my cholesterol is normal and my BP meds, my blood pressure is normal.  My knees and my back do not groan and moan with each movement, I am more able to move with energy. 

This is a lifestyle change, this is not a quick fix  You need to be prepared to make lifelong changes to maintain the new you.

I know for a fact there are far more horror stories to maintain a weight of 325 lbs (and probably more over time) than there will be with wls. 

Good Luck enjoy the journey sit back and enjoy the ride,

From Orientation at TWH to Surgical date~6 months 

DebColCam
on 7/4/12 12:51 pm - Canada
Ty Susan. I know the horror stories of staying obese for me too. I just need to think of my own dad. He lost a leg due to his diabetes and died at the age of 57. (diabetes/obesity) I'm going to be 42. I need to remember how he suffered. I want to live a healthy lifestyle.

Most Active
Recent Topics