Question re Calcium

Susan B.
on 10/11/12 11:26 am - Canada
RNY on 02/17/12
Hi All,

A question-I was wandering the meet and greet page for the event and I found the page re nutritional supplements.  I see it is suggested for RNY you take 1500-2000mgs of Calcium citrate per day-I think I have not been taking enough-I thought we simply took double the "normal" dose.

Looking for clarification-Thanks

From Orientation at TWH to Surgical date~6 months 

Debbit
on 10/11/12 11:36 am - Windsor, Canada
RNY on 05/22/12
My doctor originally started me on 1500 mg per day (3 tablets) but he was so pleased with my bloodwork at my last visit that he dropped me down to 1000 mg per day.

JJ_
on 10/11/12 7:31 pm

Yes, 1500 to 2000 mg of Calcium citrate.  I take either the Citrical (6 pills per day) or the Citrical Petites (9 pills per day).  Your body can only absorb 500 to 600 mg of Calcium per intake, so I take one dose just before lunch, another mid-afternoon and the last dose just before supper.

Please note that the blood test shows your current level of calcium in your system, it DOES NOT show if it is from supplements, food intake or LEACHING FROM YOUR BONES to make up a deficit.  The only way to determine that is through a bone density test (baseline reading) and subsequent testing.

Please do not play around with your calcium intake.

Judy

Btrue2u
on 10/12/12 12:40 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 08/20/12
Agreeing with Judy here take the 1500 per day in 3 doses.    

20AUG12-8AM SURGERY AT ST.JOES IN TORONTO  W/ DR SMITH                        

Susan B.
on 10/15/12 3:39 pm - Canada
RNY on 02/17/12
Thanks everybody~~I thought that was the dose I just wanted to be sure.  I have become acustomed to my bones and would prefer to keep them in the proper shapes..  ;)

Cheers!

From Orientation at TWH to Surgical date~6 months 

Most Active
Recent Topics