PICKY POUCH

Niki L.
on 10/22/12 11:13 pm - Canada
RNY on 10/15/12
So my pouch is the boss of me if it dont like something man dose it let me know good thing it lets me know as soon as something is in my mouth and it dont like it it tells me .So far day 9 things have been good not much pain out walking lots and down 26lbs have not been sick yet but have had food not go down feels like my chest is splitting into two (cottage cheese is not my friend) foods are plain and not much of them cant wait for some more variety any tips on foods you ate please share ty Niki

Monica M.
on 10/22/12 11:20 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
i didn't eat much variety in the early days, mostly because i don't like to waste stuff, so if i opened a package of something, it was all i ate till i was done. Took me 3 - 4 days to finish a can of soup.

make sure you're chewing things well, (except for absolutely fluid things) the cottage cheese may have been a bit lumpy, try whirring it with a blender or something, it might go down better if its nice and smooth.

you said that your pouch lets you know "as soon as you put something in your mouth"... do you mean that as soon  as its in your tummy? if its letting you know when its in your mouth, then its in your head, rather than a pouch reaction. Unless i'm reading you too literally (i can be like that sometimes).

Keep at it.

twins4meplus1
on 10/22/12 11:22 pm - St Thomas, Canada
Sounds like maybe you are eating too fast or not chewing enough maybe. Put your utensils down between each bite and chew, chew, chew. You can add seasoning or flavour to your foods if you are getting bored.

Linda

London and Area Support Group Leader
http://www.london-wls-support-group.com/
Come join the Ontario Plastics Patients Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_Post_Plastics 
Come join the Ontario WLS Vets Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_WLS_Vets/
To get your discounted subscription to OH Magazine
Follow the link below and enter the promo code "Terrio11
http://www.obesityhelp.com/magazine/subscriptions.
html

OH certified WLS Support Group Leader

crstalww
on 10/22/12 11:23 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 11/06/12
Congrats Nikki on your weight loss. Whoop Whoop keep up the great work. I hope your pouch starts to relax and enjoy more variety of foods. Good thing is it lets you know better to know in your mouth then it go down and come back up. Keep it up

Orientation: July 23 2012       Dr Sullivan : August 16, 2012 Dietician, SW, RN, Sept 26, 2012    Dr Sullivan Oct 17, 2012 and pick up Optifast   PATTS: October 24, 2012         Surgery: November 6, 2012. Starting weight 277 surgery weight 268

(deactivated member)
on 10/22/12 11:26 pm, edited 10/23/12 12:40 am - Straford, Canada
 "You're not the boss of me" so rings in my ears from my daughter's toddler years!   Have you named your pouch?  Should be a bossy name from the sound of it, maybe AHNOLD for the Swartzneggar or Commissioner (Tom Selleck) or such?  

Greek youghurt and home made smoothies were my friends.  I would take a serving of broth, chicken or beef and heat it in the microwave, then stir in a scoop of unflavoured protein powder and drink it (made the mistake once of putting the powder in first then heating, like a baking soda volcano goes wrong).  Also oatmeal, oatbran and oatmeal were, and still are my comfort foods (I add a pinch of cinnamon, and a half a mashed up banana or mashed canned peach or pear).  When between pureed and solid I added hummus on cucs slices.  

Hope that helps!  Heal well!  

Mermaidz reminds me, if you make the oatmeal, cream of wheat or oatbran cereal with a tad more liquid than usual you don't need to add milk, soy milk etc and as a reult you get more of the iron and calcium from them (don't know why but adding them to these cereals has the effect of making the rin and calcium less available if at all available).
mermaidz
on 10/22/12 11:48 pm - Brampton, Canada
I really think we should clone Ian and send him out to the ladies who have just had their surgery.. Be great for the sake of the funky new diet

Add stuff to your food so it's not so bland. SF jams, small amts fresh fruit (low carb or low GI stuff)

I always made sure it was more on the liquid side.. Oatmeal and Gerta still don't always get along and she would sit just like you described. (except I was never afraid to vomit it back up. Cautiously with pillows pressed against my tummy so all the new "tubing" was safe)

Good on you for the weight loss though.. Very good@

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

dna
on 10/22/12 11:45 pm - Canada
Don't rush anything.  9 days out your pouch is still hurty and swollen and very very picky.  I ate oatmeal, greek yogurt, protein shakes and soups with no chunks I couldn't make into the consistency of applesauce.  Funny, cottage cheese was not my friend either. 

Good luck but again the best advice I have is to not be in a hurry to push foods. 

Feel better !

p.s. and I agree with Ian about your pouch needing a tough name ! lol
Referral:  August 2011  Information session:  November 2011
Nut/Psych/SW: Spring 2012  Surgeon Meet:  July 6, 2012  Surgery: August 30, 2012

P_Floyd
on 10/23/12 2:35 am - Canada
 Soup is your friend. Small portions, I used a ramkin for weeks. I agree with Monica, if food is putting you off while it's in your mouth, it has nothing to do with your pouch. I know it's not easy but hang in there and stay strong.

Long you live and high you fly 
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry 
And all you touch and all you see 
Is all your life will ever be.

DSOTM

Niki L.
on 10/23/12 3:28 am - Canada
RNY on 10/15/12
I am still not sure if my pouch is a boy or girl so need to find that out before i name it .As for the food i take a small bit than take a 2nd and just no way is it going to go down

(deactivated member)
on 10/23/12 8:23 am - Straford, Canada
 or you could just choose names like Al, Pat, etc. unisex names.  You can fill in the rest of the name when it grows a set or not...  
Most Active
Recent Topics