New here, and looking for help and advice.

Mary72
on 10/27/12 6:50 am

Hi everyone!  I am new to the group and thinking about doing WLS.  I have struggled for most of my life with weight issues.  More importantly i am concerned because i have a fatty liver, hypothyroid disorder, and anxiety.  I know it isn't an easy decision, and alot of research needs to take place about the different proceedures before you can commit to surgery, but i would love to hear about anyones experiences good or bad.  I live in the Kitchener/waterloo area, and would really like more info about possible side effects people have had, surgery wait times, or anything you think is important for me to know.  Thanks so much, Mary

(deactivated member)
on 10/27/12 9:18 am - Straford, Canada

Mary if I were you I'd just stick around here for a while and watch the fireworks!  And anything you see you want more info on just ask or in the top right hand blueish bar you'll find the word "search", click on it and a box drops down, type in your subject and you'll see the posts that relate to that subject.  

If you apply for WLS in Ontario chances are you have struggled with weight for a long time, you have a fatty liver and thyroid issues are common.  Anxiety is also common, though not uniform.  I guess we could say "we hear ya"!  and really understand it!  Enjoy the ride!  

gimpymom
on 10/27/12 9:27 am

Welcome aboard and you certainly came to the right place to get some answers.  WLS is definitely something you want to research well before jumping in....that being said I am 10 weeks out (meaning my surgery was 10 weeks ago) and I'm loving it! I too had a fatty liver so no biggie there. I did have a post op complication and needed to go back for more surgery to fix the leak and I had a gastrostomy tube for another month. That came out late Sept. and I feel wonderful now and am seeing better weight loss results as I can move more freely  now without the tube. This was the right decision for me and I can tell you this site has helped me sooooo much with the information etc that it offers.  It is wonderful knowing that there are others out there going through the same things you are.....kinda like a big family of support backing you up. 

I hope you continue to use this site there are no questions considered dumb--so ask away...Johanna

referral  Nov 23, 2011 orientation Dec 16   PATT Aug 9 OR DATE Aug. 20, 2012 ACHIEVED CLINIC GOAL Feb. 2013

Leslie W.
on 10/27/12 9:35 am - Cobourg, Canada

Welcome to OH!

Sorry I am east of you. I would look for a support group in your area. I am sure you can find one here. It was the best thing I did while waiting for orientation. I got to meet lots of great people in various stages of the process. learned the good and the bad. I am just 1 yr out and loving it. No more high blood pressure/cholesterol. No more sleep apnea. My blood work could not have been more prefect.

Wait times do vay but expect at least a 14-16 month wait from time of referral, I would suggest getting your referral in now. You can take the time to learn more and make your final decision. This way it wont delay things any further.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
JJ_
on 10/27/12 9:36 am

Welcome to the forum.  Speak with your family doctor and ask for a referral to the Ontario Bariatric Registry.  That will kick start the process for surgery.  The Ontario Registry will send your application to the nearest Bariatric Centre.  That centre will send you an invitation to an Orientation Session.  You will hear about the process and what the surgery is like and the changes you would need to make.  Then you can decide if you want to continue. 

Please get the ball rolling ASAP.  It can take some time between referral and the orientation session, plenty of time to be here and read about everyone`s personal journey.  You can withdraw at any time if you find that it is not for you.

Good luck!

Judy in Ottawa

(deactivated member)
on 10/27/12 10:03 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12

You have got lots of great advise, so I will just way Welcome.

gardeninggal
on 10/27/12 12:11 pm - Midland, Canada

Hi Mary and welcome to OH.  

It has been an excellent experience for me on this site and have learned so much.  I am 7 weeks post-op and am now blood pressure medication free and boy I am so pleased as I didn't think it would happen so quickly.  I am on a med for hypothyroid too but it is only .25 mcg and time will tell how that goes.  I wish you well on your journey.angry

Monica M.
on 10/27/12 12:31 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

welcome to the forum, Mary. You've already gotten so much good advice, i'll just say that i'm glad you're here.

msheavyhearted
on 10/27/12 10:31 pm - Marathon, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/02/12

Hi Mary and welcome!

I agree with the others. Get your referral in now. You don't have to make a decision right away about getting surgery and you can use the wait time to research, research, research. As Ian said, stick around for a bit and read the posts and you'll learn tons. When I first joined I went back as far as I could and read every single post. It was time consuming but VERY helpful!

Just to let you know about me: I'm almost 9 months post op, am down nearly 150 lbs (from a high of 319) and have had zero issues. Wait... that's not completely true. I found out last week that my B12 is dropping so my doc and I decided it was time to start supplementing with a monthly shot. (This is very common for those who get RNY bypass.) Someone told me they'd find it annoying to have to get a shot every month. I say it's WAY less annoying than carrying around 150 extra pounds. Bring on the needle, I say!

Want to join the CRAZY TransCanada Challenge?? Just message me. Here's a link to the rules: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/on/4570778/REPOST-The-CRAZY-TransCanada-Challenge-Rules/

Niki L.
on 10/28/12 1:18 am - Canada
RNY on 10/15/12
Welcome Mary this is a great board and lots of great people hope you get all the info you are looking for Niki

Most Active
Recent Topics