Anyone cant have Sugar Substitute

Niki L.
on 11/6/12 10:46 pm - Canada
RNY on 10/15/12
I just dont seem to be able to eat it after just a few days on optifast i got hives and sick now anything Sugar Free just seems to give me hives and make me feel sick so is anyone using real sugar only 3 weeks out but looking ahead.

Btrue2u
on 11/6/12 10:49 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 08/20/12

Right here ....call your centre then will put you on a protein modified fast .....you will need to watch out for protein drinks and bars too not to mention anything nsa.  Best of luck   

20AUG12-8AM SURGERY AT ST.JOES IN TORONTO  W/ DR SMITH                        

Patm
on 11/6/12 11:09 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I was unable to add anything with sweeteners to opti. It gave me the runs. I only used instant coffee. You are having an extreme reaction. Call your centre

Niki L.
on 11/7/12 12:15 am - Canada
RNY on 10/15/12
I am 3 weeks postop and did opti for a week than put on the protein modified fast i was asking for after like if i where to make anything that calls for sugar

Cuter_w_Curves
on 11/7/12 12:45 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

*raises hand*

I am actually allergic to CORN... Go figure. So... I have a list of all the "sweeteners" I can't touch.

I'll share it here... It is long... Longer then I have shared but I want to give you some info.

Polyols produced by corn refiners include erythritol, maltitol, mannitol, sorbitol, and xylitol - SUGAR ALCOHOLS derived from corn - I try not to touch these.

More sugar alcohols:

Methanol
    Glycol
    Glycerol
    Erythritol
    Threitol
    Arabitol
    Xylitol
    Ribitol
    Mannitol
    Sorbitol
    Galactitol
    Iditol
    Inositol
    Volemitol
    Isomalt
    Maltitol
    Lactitol
    Polyglycitol

- expect bloating, gas, or bowel movement issues (no struggle... nor strain). Very common. The only one that typically doesn't cause DUMPING post bariatric surgery is erythritol (often derived from corn).

Splenda

Sucrolose

Maltodextrin

Aspertame - though it is my lowest reaction from a sweetener.

Realistically... You might have problems with the sugar alcohol ones, and/or corn based... but not another type of sugar alcohol if that makes sense. Some sugar alcohols are derived from corn so to understand WHICH is the issue... One has to rule corn in or out. It is actually a more common sensitivity/allergy then people know.

And those that don't have it, but are low fat often have xanthan gum to thicken them and it is is derived from corn too.

FYI Cyclodextrin is marketed as a fat binder in weight loss supplements... Also from corn.

Have you tried Stevia? I've only ever had an issue with bitter aftertaste there and if I stick to the white powders, or the liquids and go with less is more (liquids I add 1 drop at a time)... It works for me. There are actually protein powders made with stevia!

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

Niki L.
on 11/7/12 12:56 am - Canada
RNY on 10/15/12
Thank you so much for all that info wow i have not yet tried Stevia so i will go get some

Cuter_w_Curves
on 11/7/12 12:59 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

I love the flavoured liquid ones... and just remember... Less is more.

The flavoured ones I will add a drop or two per cup of water and flavour it. Nothing like Raspberry Chocolate flavoured water... You know?!

I get them at health food stores...

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

Most Active
Recent Topics