Running my longest race tomorrow

Heathergetbetter
on 11/17/12 7:12 am - Trenton, ON, Canada
RNY on 05/02/12

Hi all,

I have run 8 km twice in anticipation of tomorrow's 7.5km "Fat Assed Trail Run". The difference is that this is at a ski hill and I've just recently got past my 5km run. I'm nervous and felt like crying while I was standing in line to pick up my race packet. All these runners were talking "run talk" "how'd you do in the county marathon,? " numbers were flying. I felt so alone and out of place.

My first race was the zombie race, and I finished in about the middle of the group. This is my second race and it's a whole different thing.

Then I was burning some garbage and got splashed by an exploding lighter that I forgot was in it. I burned off my eyebrows and part of my eyelashes on my left side of my face. I got a big swollen red eyelid/brow and it HURTS.

I doubt I'll be able to run up the ski hill. There are 2 major hills. I'll try, but I'll probably have to walk part way up at least one of them. I know to be a good runner I have to love hills. I've read the signs in the running stores, "I eat hills for breakfast" , "there are those who love hills and there are those who lose..."

I'm just rambling on, expressing my self doubts. I just had a delish dinner of x-lean ground beef, pasta sauce and a few tortelini stuffed with chicken and bacon. (carbs before the race) I should be happy but I'm filled with a sense of doom. My face hurts. Thanks for listening.

Dr Ref: Sept 9th '10, Dr. Follow up (file lost in bulk transfer) Aug '11Pre-surg Asmt Ottawa: Dec 9th '11File Transf to HRH -another bulk transf Bypass class: Feb 2 '12 Surgeon Consult: Feb 8 '12    Dietician: Feb 8 '12   Soc Wrkr: Feb 8 '12 Nurse: Feb 8 '12 Internist: Mar 9 '12  Surgeon: Apr 4 '12 Opti:Apr 18 '12 SURGERY: May 2 '12    
highlandbear
on 11/17/12 7:36 am - Canada

Believe in yourself. You can do it. Just remember you are doing this for you and if you come in last does it matter. No just finish the race.

Heathergetbetter
on 11/17/12 8:06 am - Trenton, ON, Canada
RNY on 05/02/12

Thank you. I will finish.

Dr Ref: Sept 9th '10, Dr. Follow up (file lost in bulk transfer) Aug '11Pre-surg Asmt Ottawa: Dec 9th '11File Transf to HRH -another bulk transf Bypass class: Feb 2 '12 Surgeon Consult: Feb 8 '12    Dietician: Feb 8 '12   Soc Wrkr: Feb 8 '12 Nurse: Feb 8 '12 Internist: Mar 9 '12  Surgeon: Apr 4 '12 Opti:Apr 18 '12 SURGERY: May 2 '12    
NorthernStar
on 11/17/12 7:41 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

FIrst off, sorry about your burn. Hope that heals quickly for you.

Good luck on your race! Believe in yourself, you will do a fabulous job. Can you imagine, a 7.5 km race?! That is an amazing accomplishment, and you've already run 8km twice. You can DO IT!!

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Heathergetbetter
on 11/17/12 8:08 am - Trenton, ON, Canada
RNY on 05/02/12

I might have the "fat-est ass" on the fat assed trail run, but I will still try. You're right, 8 months ago I couldn't run more than a minute, then surgery 6 months ago and look at me now.

(deactivated member)
on 11/17/12 7:49 am - Straford, Canada

you burned your eyebows off?  You're lucky you didn't loose some eyesight!  I managed a propane company for a while another life time ago and you learn to respect, well actually, fear flammable liquids!  blush

To quote my daughter, back the vega bus up!  You were obese, probably morbidly so, when?  And you have run a zombie race and now doing a 7.5km?  You should be seriously proud, even if you look all gimpy with no eyebrows and a half an eyelash!  

Can't wait to hear how you do!  You go GIRL!  Whoot!!!  

Heathergetbetter
on 11/17/12 8:12 am - Trenton, ON, Canada
RNY on 05/02/12

Thanks for putting it into perspective Ian. I was morbidly obese 6 months ago. I will take my gimpy self to the race tomorrow and do my *******ready know I'm different than most of the runners there, now I will look the part too.lol

I don't know how I got so lucky with the flaming debris that hit my face. My hat and coat were burned, but my eye is ok. If I wasn't wearing my toque, I would have lost the thinning head hair too. lol I can pencil in an eyebrow if the swelling goes down. The other runners are going to be zipping past my slow ass so fast they won't notice the lack of eylashes.

macrobug1
on 11/17/12 9:03 am

Good Luck with the race!

Are you using anything for the burn?  If you can get hold of some flamazin it is wonderful for burns.  Most likely will have to see someone for it - prescription

Heathergetbetter
on 11/17/12 9:15 pm - Trenton, ON, Canada
RNY on 05/02/12

Thanks. I've been using Avon cracked heel relief cream. It has some lydocaine for numbing. I woke up this morning and it looks much better. I've used flamazine on people with serious burns. It's good stuff.

macrobug1
on 11/17/12 11:15 pm

Oh yes!  My clinic fridge is well stocked with the stuff...summer campers tend to require it :)

Most Active
Recent Topics