Traveling with protein shakes?

SleeplessinAbitibi
on 12/17/12 10:15 pm - Canada
VSG on 10/23/12

Hi all...I am going on a cruise next week and I can't decide what to do about my protein shakes.  I need to drink one every day if I want to make the 80g of protein.  I'm looking at either packing 7 ready mix shakes or at pre-packaging 7 small baggies with the pre-measured powder.  I think the baggies would make more sense and take up way less room but I'm wondering if there is a particular reason why the powders are packed in such large containers? They seem to be packed in container large enough to hold as much air as product...so I wonder if it has something to do with the preserving of the powder?

Seems like such a stupid question I know...

Nathalie

“Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.” 

Nathalie_Can
on 12/17/12 10:24 pm

nothing is ever stupid and I took my Costco shakes in my checked baggage and had no problem whatsoever.  I have no idea for powder but I wanted to back-up my shake by getting a doc's note saying that for medical reasons, I needed them but didn't need the note...lol...I remember when I asked the question earlier this year that people were saying that they had no problem with having their powder in baggies....I know someone else will comment...

Have an amazing time!

Nathalie

~Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you really wanted!~    

crstalww
on 12/17/12 10:32 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 11/06/12
I was just thinking what if they refuse the baggies powder becauseits not in there original container and they have no clue what it is. I would be more safe then sorry and bring the already made ones as there labled and no confusion at all . Also what if they refuse the powder and your stuck with nothing? Have a blast on your trip

Orientation: July 23 2012       Dr Sullivan : August 16, 2012 Dietician, SW, RN, Sept 26, 2012    Dr Sullivan Oct 17, 2012 and pick up Optifast   PATTS: October 24, 2012         Surgery: November 6, 2012. Starting weight 277 surgery weight 268

Patm
on 12/17/12 10:42 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Pack the powders in your checked luggage and there should be no problem. When the powders are manufactured and put in containers they are light and airy. They actually take up the whole container. As they sit on the shelf they settle. It is the same with any kind of powder you buy. I have a container from GNC that you can put the powders and liquid in and shake them up. I use it at work to make my afternoon shake.

onmom
on 12/17/12 10:54 pm

the liquid might be a issue flying.

crstalww
on 12/17/12 11:41 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 11/06/12
I just thought of that .lol I wouldnt know what to bring either

Orientation: July 23 2012       Dr Sullivan : August 16, 2012 Dietician, SW, RN, Sept 26, 2012    Dr Sullivan Oct 17, 2012 and pick up Optifast   PATTS: October 24, 2012         Surgery: November 6, 2012. Starting weight 277 surgery weight 268

smiley_k
on 12/17/12 11:42 pm

I took shakes with me on vacation in my checked luggage. I made little sandwich baggies with different flavours and then put them in small freezer bags labelled what flavour. I took Peanut Butter M&M Shakes (Chocolate protein powder, with SF butterscotch pudding mix and PB2), White Chocolate Wonderful Shakes (Vanilla Protein Powder, with SF White Chocolate Pudding Mix and PB2) and Peanut Butter Banana Shakes (Vanilla Protein Powder, SF Banana Cream Pudding Powder and PB2). When I had them packaged in my freezer bag, I packed them into my two shaker bottles so to make sure nothing would spill and took this with me in my checked luggage. No problems at all and they were easy to prepare because all I needed to find was some milk and some ice.

I hope this helps and enjoy your cruise!

Katie  ♥     

HaroldC
on 12/17/12 11:45 pm - Canada

Where are you going?

Instead of packing protein, hwy not just buy some when you land?

SW 291  GW 199.9 CW 180 Surgery: TWH Dr. Penner Dec 20 2011
Celebrating life and opportunities for new beginings!!!

(deactivated member)
on 12/18/12 12:41 am - Straford, Canada

i take the powders repackaged in ziplocs.  if they ever ask me what it is i figure i'll lick a finger, stick it in the powder, then rub it all over my gums like cocaine and wait for the strip searching to begin!    

I repackage though.  I always check it in my luggage.  what some of the stores/restaurants have that I have found past security is a cheese/almond/grape/cracker platter that is a meal and as its all small bits it is easy to eat over time.  Good to take with you on the plane too.  

Have a grand trip!  

GD6
on 12/18/12 2:56 am - Hamilton, Canada

I have traveled to Europe a couple of times and put single portions of powder in ziploc sandwich bags and put them all inside a large ziploc bag.  I pack them in my suitcase and have never had any problems.  I also took protein bars and water enhancers in my luggage with no issue.

Yasmeen  (aka thread killer!)  

5'6.5" - HW 239.4 / SW 226.8 (Feb 5, 2010) / GW 120 (Jan 6, 2011) / LW 116.8 

Most Active
Recent Topics