Newbie Questions

gonna_B_thinner
on 6/11/13 3:18 am

First I want to say I have been following this site for a few weeks to chicken to sign up.  I love how everyone tries to help answer questions for the newer members who are not as far along as them.  I have gotten lots of info and find this site very helpful answering questions I didn't know I had lol.  Well hers a bit about me I have known several people who have had a gastric bypass and every one of them have lost over 100 lbs.  It took me a long time to decide to go ahead with my own journey.....the reason I finally decided to go ahead is: since Christmas I have been having a lot of back pain and my legs have been bothering me more than normal.  I had to start taking pain pills for my back almost daily.  I got to thinking I can't keep living like this......then I thought I need to loose weight....and what wouldn't I do get weight off.  I had made my decision....I want to get gastric bypass.....I want to live life not just waste it......I have been to my family doctor and have gotten referred for the surgery they have received confirmation that I am on the list and my name sent to Guelph.  The two questions I have are 1. how long from the doctor's appointment for referral did you get your orientation date?  (do they give you a few weeks to make sure you can get time off work)  2.  Has anyone on here had a Vertical c-section then gastric bypass?  Does having had the c-section before make it more difficult for the surgeon?  And was the recovery similar?   Thank you so much for helping. 

2by4
on 6/11/13 3:48 am

Welcome!

To help answer a few of your questions....

Guelph is known to be notoriously slow at processing paperwork.  In fact, sometimes they just lose it.  Despite being in constant touch with Guelph, after 11 months (and still no action) I asked to have my file transferred to HRRH - then things happened quickly.  Orientation was within a week....and after a multitude of appointments and scheduling conflicts, I had surgery 6 months later.

There will be lots of notice for you.  You will have to do the OptiFast stage, which is a minimum of two weeks before surgery - - so, they schedule all this into the big plan for you.  Not to worry... with each step along the way you will be inquiring about dates and you'll have plenty of time to notify your employer.  In the meantime, save up your pennies!

I have had multiple abdominal surgeries - that is not a concern at all.  The doctors do this procedure laprascopically, so there is no open wound....just 5 small "stab-like" incisions.

Compared to a C-Section, the recovery is much easier.  There are no muscles cut through.  And, there's no demanding baby waking you up and needing to be carried.  It's not a "walk in the park" by any means, but the pain is very manageable.  

VBG: Dr. Abawi (Bowmanville) Jun-2004.   Weight Loss:  237 ⬇ 164 = 73 pounds loss in first year.
Bariatric Network Registry:  19-Aug-2011                               Orientation at HRRH:  17-Aug-2012
Consult with Dr. Hagen (HRRH): 29-Aug-2012              Doctor ordered Gastroscopy:  10-Oct-2012
Meetings with  Nurse,  Vampire,  Registered Dietician  and  Social Worker  (HRRH):  24-Oct-2012
Consult with Internist Dr Glazer:  29-Oct-2012          Ordered Cardiac Ultrasound 12-Nov-2012
Met with Dr. Hagen: 12-Nov-2012    Surgery date 19-Feb-2013     (07- Jan-2013 date revised)
Pre-Admission Tests:  10-Jan-2013     Started OptiFast: 14-Jan-2013     Starting Weight:  233
Conversion Surgery VBG ➜ RnY with Dr. Hagen:  28-Jan-2013          Weight day of Surgery:  216

gonna_B_thinner
on 6/11/13 4:22 am

Thank you for your reply I guess I just wish I new where I am on the waiting list.....in the mean time I have been doing my homework.....I have printed off tons of stuff that I have found helpful or may need later on, I have started taking Biotin for my hair cause it's thin now so I am trying to build it up, I am also keeping labels from foods of items with lots of protein so I can ask if they are ok when I see the Nut,.     

Lorieliz
on 6/11/13 4:54 am - Canada

Here is a link to the "Bible" at St. Joe's. There may be a few tweaks at Guelph, that you will find out in plenty of time, but this is very comprehensive.

http://www.stjoes.ca/media/PatientED/U-Z/PD%206000%20Bariatr ic%20Surgery%20-%20Gastric%20Bypass%20February%2029%202012.p df

Have a look.

Referral St. Joe's, Hamilton - Surgery May 28, 013 

ToNewBeginnings
on 6/11/13 6:01 am

Thanks for that link. I went through Joe's in 2010 and it's interesting to see their "bible" has improved. 

gonna_B_thinner
on 6/11/13 6:52 am

Thanks that's great I started to look through it and found some good stuff and started printing off pages that I might need to go back to.....some are  the same as pages I have printed from other sites.....i have a large binder that I am keeping all my info in.   I like the binder cause if I am not near the internet I can look stuff up just whenever.  I have been highlighting stuff too so I don't have to read everything again only the important stuff.  I have already switched to decaf coffee and no creamer just 2 percent milk.......I don't drink soft drinks much so that's not going to be a big deal cutting them out......I am doing the little changes now so it won't be as big a deal later.  

Monica M.
on 6/11/13 5:21 am - Penetanguishene, Canada

Welcome! thanks for being brave enough to join us!

I won't answer your questions about timing, that's individual to which program you go through.

I just want to address your question about being notified in enough time to "see if you can get the time off work". You can't be denied time off for surgery. You can tell your employer how long you need to be off for.

gonna_B_thinner
on 6/11/13 7:07 am

Thanks Monica for the warm welcome.  I have been watching the post for a couple of weeks since I found this site and I find it great.  I am sure that there will be more questions about stuff but I'll wait a bit......I am glad I joined.  It makes me feel like I am doing something to get farther at least by asking questions. 

michellealana
on 6/11/13 7:08 am

Interesting you bring this up...... our Personnel policy at work ststes the following right in it: Employees are not entitkled to personal emergency leave for medically unnecessary cosmetic surgery unrelated to an illness or injury. Sick time will not be paid out for any reason other than sick leave.    I dont really want to tell anyone what I am having done, so I am going to choose not to be bothered fighting it and just use my holidays to cover my time off......

Referral sent: October 17, 2012  Info Session: February 13, 2013  NP: March 13, 2013

Dietitian/SW: March 25, 2013    Abdominal Ultrasound/ECHO: March 26, 2013  Second Dietitian: April 24, 2013

Transfer to OWMC: May 10, 2013 Call from Clinic: May 21, 2013  Pre-Surg Class: June 26, 2013

Surgeon/PATTS: June 26, 2013 Call for surgery, July 2, 2013

Surgery July 25, 2013 Dr Neville Ottawa Civic 

Monica M.
on 6/11/13 7:15 am - Penetanguishene, Canada

its a medically necessary procedure. If it were unnecessary, then OHIP would not be paying for it. They'll pay for your sick time if you get your gallbladder out. They'll pay for your sick time if you have a hysterectomy. they'll pay for your knee surgery, your back surgery, your breast reduction. They'll pay for your sick time if you have WLS. End of story, no fighting involved. Obesity is an illness, that is corrected (in this case) by surgery.

Most Active
Recent Topics