Pasta

Derek C.
on 10/3/13 1:38 am - North Bay , Canada

Stay away from pasta - it bulks up in your pouch quick and makes you feel crappy ... also it converts to sugars which you dont really want anyway 

Surgery Date - AUGUST 22, 2011 - Ran first 5KM Race - Oct 14, 2012 (28 min)  - Currently maintaining a healthy 190 lbs and training for my first half marathon in the summer of 2013

squidget
on 10/3/13 2:18 am

I attribute a lot of my weight gain to the amount of pasta I used to eat (almost every day!!). 

Almost seven months out, I still can't tolerate pasta at all.  It doesn't sit well and makes me nauseous.  Not worth it!  So, after eating pasta almost every day for YEARS, I can say that I've had pasta 2 or 3 times since surgery and I don't want it or even miss it.

I can tolerate a small amount of rice, but I also try to avoid it. 

Catw
on 10/3/13 3:35 am - Arnprior, Canada

I don't remember when I started, but I still have problems with pasta and rice.  Beside the complex carbs, it can be really dry so you have to add a lot of sauce to it (can add significant calories depending on the type).  If you would like a substitute for pasta, use spaghetti squash.  It's easier to digest, and goes great with either a white or red sauce.

Rice can be really dry as well, you could try ricing cauliflower, I've seen that on Youtube (someone posted it on here)  I think it was just that you microwave it, then put it through the food processor.  But don't quote me on that.

Cathy

Urbanlamb
on 10/3/13 6:59 am - Canada
On October 3, 2013 at 10:35 AM Pacific Time, Catw wrote:

I don't remember when I started, but I still have problems with pasta and rice.  Beside the complex carbs, it can be really dry so you have to add a lot of sauce to it (can add significant calories depending on the type).  If you would like a substitute for pasta, use spaghetti squash.  It's easier to digest, and goes great with either a white or red sauce.

Rice can be really dry as well, you could try ricing cauliflower, I've seen that on Youtube (someone posted it on here)  I think it was just that you microwave it, then put it through the food processor.  But don't quote me on that.

Cathy

^^^^^^^^

Yup...what she said.  Spaghetti squash is deelish and so is the caulifower rice.  Google recipes for them.

*hugs*

Referral Oct 2012~Orientation May 31/13 at Ottawa Civic~Dr.Dent assessment July 16~Nutritionist and Behaviorist Sept 17~ Ultrasound Oct 17~Second appointment with Nutritionist and Behaviorist Nov 6~Approval for RNY!!~BLADDER CANCER DISCOVERED~Currently undergoing treatment for cancer, plans switched from RNY to sleeve...~GOT DATE FOR SURGERY...AUGUST 18th, 2014 with Dr. Yelle*....February 7/17...2.5 years post up and doing great. Starting process for OHIP funded panniculectomy...

Arlio1207
on 10/3/13 6:27 am - Belleville , Canada
RNY on 04/04/13

I am 6 months out and still cant eat pasta. comes right back up. So i avoid it, maybe try a gluten free wheat pasta to start. I am not an expert by any means, but I have heard others try this as a first go. I did not, I tried veggie pasta.

Arlene enlightened

Referred June 26, 2012, Orientation Nov 7, Nurse Nov 19. Dietician and Psychologist Nov 21, Dietician #2 Jan 4, 2013, Final Nurse Jan 24, Meet surgeon Feb 20th, Pre Surgical class Mar 6th, Dr Glazier March 7, PATTS March 7, Surgery April 4th !!!!!

birdiegirl
on 10/3/13 9:24 am

I am similar to Pat....I wanted to maximize my weight loss - especially the first 6 mos to a year....so I avoided all pasta - rice - and other starchy items

Although it is difficult - you have to throw many of the standard good health and food canada pyramids out the window post wls......what might make perfect sense to the non pouched or sleeved world....is useless to us who have altered our insides...

I used to eat lots of fruit and had many veggie only dinners pre wls.....now, fruit is an occasional treat....veggies are a daily occurance...but I watch the sugar content of them and limit root veggies ( which I love)....to a few times per week....that is part of my balancing act post surgery and post 2 years

Now....at 4 plus years out....I will only have pasta if I am in a very good Italian restaurant - as a treat.....so I maybe eat pasta 6 times per year...

Everyone has to decide how they are going to play this out....after I ate my protein portion and a little green veg....I never had room for rice or pasta....the occasional spoonful of mashed potatoes....but as a rare treat....

highlandbear
on 10/3/13 11:04 am - Canada

I am almost 4 years out and I still have trouble with pasta. It does not sit well with me at all

Nerak
on 10/3/13 12:06 pm - Canada

When you are all talking about rice and pasta are you referring to white pasta and rice? What about whole grain pasta and rice? Please tell me! Nerak

Surgery date is Oct. 17th, 2013 in Ottawa. I was referred to the clinic in September 2012. The person performing my surgery is Dr Amy Neville. 

highlandbear
on 10/3/13 7:57 pm - Canada

It does not mater if it is white pasta whole grain pasta just does not sit well with me. It is just something you are going to have to try for yourself

kellybelly333
on 10/4/13 6:20 am - Toronto, Canada

I can eat a bit of whole wheat pasta, with a LOT of meat sauce and cheese. But I've only just really started doing this, as i've been getting a few more carbs in for my long runs during my training. It doesn't sit well, and bloats my belly....yet I seem to run like a champ the next day. It's not what it used to be for sure. And it has also come right back up on me too.

I agree with maximizing your weight loss with less starch for now.

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Most Active
Recent Topics