Surgery in Guelph vs TWH

TDotDana
on 11/29/16 6:25 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 01/23/17

So I got my appt today to see Dr Reid in Guelph.

There are a few things that are different from TWH

•  I already have a lap band - that has to be removed - at TWH they were going to remove it, and do the RNY all at the same time
    • In Guelph - this is going to requite 2 surgeries - one to remove - then a few weeks later - I have the RNY done
      •    Not sure how I feel about this - it really wasn't my plan
  • I should get my surgery in Mid Jan to remove - then Early Feb for RNY - which is great 
    •    I called TWH - they are booking late March right now for surgeries
      •    They did put me on the waiting list for a Jan/Feb cancellation - really only want the 1 surgery if I can 
  • Guelph does not endorse Optifast
    •    They said I could still do Slimtime if I wanted to - however they normally use Carnation Instant Breakfast with protein added

It was so much info to process over the phone - I was really stuck on what to do - do I go with one surgery or do I start the process asap.

I am more than ready for this surgery - it really comes down to surgeries and time away from work

So - long story short - I am going through with Guelph - and on the wait list for THW

Would love to hear from anyone who went through Guelph - and any advice you may have

HW - 283lbs (1991)** LW - 206lbs (2014)**CW 265lbs **Slimband - March 8, 2013 ** 275lbs @ Preop Diet**  261lbs on surgery day**Referral TWH - Feb'16**Orientation TWH - May 11/16**Psychologist TWH (Dr Wnuk) - June 24/16 ** Social Work (Anna Wallwork) - July 20/16 **Nurse (Wei Wang) - July 25/16 ** Nutrition Class (Lorraine Gougeon) - Aug 15/16    Endoscopy TWH - Aug 18/16  Dietician (Laura Scott) - Sept 15/16 Surgeon Dr Okrainek Nov 18/16 ** PreOP @ TWN Jan 9/17 *** RNY & Lap Band Removal Surgery @ TWH Jan 23/17 w/ Dr Urbach

ready-4-new-start
on 11/30/16 4:42 am - Canada

I know when we are going through this process it feels so long and we get inpatient want the surgery asap and be on our way to new and healthier lifestyle.. If I was in your shoes I would do the one surgery.. it's a lot to put ur body through two surgeries in a short time. I had my surgery april 11 2016, unfortunately I had some  complications had emergency surgery nov 13 and it's taking a toll on my body this time. So from my experience I would think about the one surgery and the future if u do run into complications need surgery. 

Referral received at hrrh Nov6/14, orientation March23/15, surgery April 11/16

Teena D.
on 11/30/16 8:16 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

Good luck with everything! I'm hoping I will be able to go through Guelph too, but I think I have to have my appointment with the TWH surgeon first.

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

TDotDana
on 11/30/16 3:09 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 01/23/17

Call the general TWH # and ask for Sandra Robinson - the extension I had for her does not work - but they will transfer you - she is the manager of the program - and is super nice and helpful.

She told me yesterday they are still looking for people to go to Guelph - so if that's what you want to do - don't waste your time seeing the surgeon at TWH - because you have to do ai all over again in Guleph

HW - 283lbs (1991)** LW - 206lbs (2014)**CW 265lbs **Slimband - March 8, 2013 ** 275lbs @ Preop Diet**  261lbs on surgery day**Referral TWH - Feb'16**Orientation TWH - May 11/16**Psychologist TWH (Dr Wnuk) - June 24/16 ** Social Work (Anna Wallwork) - July 20/16 **Nurse (Wei Wang) - July 25/16 ** Nutrition Class (Lorraine Gougeon) - Aug 15/16    Endoscopy TWH - Aug 18/16  Dietician (Laura Scott) - Sept 15/16 Surgeon Dr Okrainek Nov 18/16 ** PreOP @ TWN Jan 9/17 *** RNY & Lap Band Removal Surgery @ TWH Jan 23/17 w/ Dr Urbach

Teena D.
on 11/30/16 4:00 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

I called today and was told I have to see the TEH surgeon before I can be referred to Guelph. But I will call Sandra. 

Thanks

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

TDotDana
on 11/30/16 4:02 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 01/23/17

Worth a try ?

Good luck and keep us posted ?

fromfattohealthy
on 12/5/16 6:57 am - Canada

Fellow Lapbander...having my band removed and a revision (like you, I want this in ONE surgery, but will take what I can get)

I have only had my orientation, my next appointment is in January where they will be deciding on whether they are putting me through the entire program, or booking me straight to surgery. I have already completed all the required medical testing. Do you think its worth a try calling to see if I have get into Guelph? I am not trying to skip the process, but having so many complications with my band (lots of stuck episodes and being unable to eat properly) I am already using shakes as meal replacements as I can't get any foods down in the mornings (I have not had a recent fill, but definitely feel like my band is tighter) 

Everyone's experience is so different, so I know some people do get in sooner rather than later, but it seems not matter what there is absolutely a wait!

TDotDana
on 12/5/16 8:50 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 01/23/17

Same happened to me - I had my band over 3 years - then one morning - nothing would go down - not even water - Slimband said this was completely normal  however I had to fight to get it loosened.

I just got a call from TWH - 5 mins ago - they have a Jan date for me - so I only have to go through 1 surgery - I am super excited!!

Guelph is worth a try - however I would still tell TWH that you want to be on their cancellation list - just my opinion - that's what I did - and so far it has worked in my favour!

I agree - 1 surgery is better than 2 - especially so close together - for someone who doesn't work - it may not be as big of a deal - but for me  - it would have been an nightmare.

Good luck - and keep me posted!

fromfattohealthy
on 12/5/16 9:56 am - Canada

this is AMAZING news!

I can just imagine how excited you are to get that thing out! Please keep me updated with your progress!

I have not been referred to a hospital, I wonder if I should wait until my appointment in January. I just wish this process didn't take so long for people with failed bands, the quality of life SUCKS!!

TDotDana
on 12/5/16 6:47 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 01/23/17

I am SOOOO excited!

I have been told by people on here - that all surgeries in Toronto will be done at TWH now for some reason - not sure if that is correct or not - but Guelph typically had a faster turn around time if you look at their stats - Guelph will always require 2 surgeries if you are removing the band - so keep that in mind.

I think you need to at least wait until you get your orientation date - I really don't know how you would switch to a Guelph - I think it depends on where you live - but once you are in the system - then I think you can switch if you want.

Compared to some people on here - mine was a fairly fast process - my orientation was in May - and Surgery in January.

I was always calling and asking for cancellations - so that helped me a lot.

The fact that you have the band - means you already know how to eat etc...  so you should go through the stages fairly quickly like I did - I didn't have to repeat any.  

I had already had a sleep study done - so that was one thing I didn't have to do - but I did have to do the scope test - so they could assess if the band had done any damage - luckily it had not.

Most Active
Recent Topics