Excited newbie here!

kamac
on 1/9/17 8:06 am
VSG on 07/09/18

I've been lurking for a while now, and joined up last month. Guess it's time for me to start posting!

I'm in the early days of this process- had my Orientation in December, Nurse Practitioner consult last week, and am scheduled for the dietician and social worker next month. I also have to see an Internist, and Psychologist, and possibly a Sleep Study (had one about a year and a half ago, might have to re-do so it's current). But...I was told that if everything goes smoothly, I'm looking at having WLS in late spring 2017!

I'm in Kingston, and keeping my fingers crossed that I can have the surgery here at Hotel Dieu, otherwise it would be either St Mike's (Toronto) or Toronto East General. I'm feeling really anxious about it all- "failing" an assessment along the way, the surgery itself- but also really excited and especially grateful to have this opportunity. My goal is to lose 200lbs- I'm 5'8" and currently 379, and am determined to be 179 in 2 years time.

Right now I'm working on being more consistent with walking on the treadmill, eliminating sweets and caffeine, eating slowly and mindfully, increasing my water intake, and not drinking during meals. I'm also a bit obsessive about researching plastic surgery- I know I'm going to need it, but I have to remember not to overwhelm myself, and focus on my lifestyle now and moving forward towards WLS approval.

Anyway, just thought I'd introduce myself. Reading the posts on the forum has been enormously helpful!

Kara
Highest Weight: 420; Opti Starting Weight: 395; Surgery Weight: 371;
Current Weight: 322.1; Goal Weight: 160

"Find things beautiful as much as you can, most people find too little beautiful."
-Vincent Van Gogh

crqvingchange
on 1/9/17 2:16 pm

Welcome Kamac.   Ask as many questions as you need to, we're all here to help if we can.  Join us on the What are you Eating thread.  We have pre-op on there too.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

kamac
on 1/11/17 4:35 pm
VSG on 07/09/18

Thank you! I'll check out the thread.

Kara

"Find things beautiful as much as you can, most people find too little beautiful."
-Vincent Van Gogh

roxytrim
on 1/9/17 2:48 pm - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Hi there.  Between all the good mental & physical prep you've done - especially posting on here...You are going to be in fine shape.  We will keep the looser's bench warm for you.

kamac
on 1/11/17 4:36 pm
VSG on 07/09/18

Hi roxytrim, thanks for the welcome!

Kara

-Vincent Van Gogh

Patm
on 1/9/17 5:35 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

You have taken the first step. The process gives you time to make positive changes and get ready for the changes about to happen. Good for you for making some of them now.

Good luck in the process.

kamac
on 1/11/17 4:40 pm
VSG on 07/09/18

Thanks, Patm. Change sure isn't easy, but reading all the posts here has shown me change is possible!

Kara

-Vincent Van Gogh

Manda32
on 1/10/17 7:31 pm

Welcome!!

Reading your post reminded me a lot of how I was feeling in the early days. It's all normal. I'm still pre-op, I have a surgical class this month, and my file will get sent to the surgical site.

I lurked on this site for a few months before I joined as well lol

I know its normal to worry that you may 'fail' but really everyone at the hospital, all these appointments we have to go through is to make you ready, and if it takes more time, or more appointments than others so be it. The nurse, doctor, social worker, dietitian, etc are all there to help you, not hinder you (although I'm sure at times, you may or may not feel that way).

For me its been an up and down for me. Mainly having to do a second follow up with the social worker, when I so badly just wanted to get approved. I was bummed that I had to have another follow up, but I did the work and I got approved. In the end its all in your best interest if you can keep that in mind.

I also started researching plastic's too in the beginning, I need to lose close to 200lbs so I know I will have some skin problems. I also realize, that I have no idea what areas will be my worst (I can assume), and if a miracle happened and it wasn't too bad, than I would have limited plastics. I can't afford to do endless plastic surgery, so whether its my stomach or arms, that are the problem, I'll have to pick which one bother's me the most, but won't know until I get there.

Nothing wrong with researching, and I know myself I can get obessive with information, but I think you'll find as you go along you'll ease up on it.

This forum has been so helpful and insightful. So if you have any questions please ask.! That's what were here for. I was nervous to post my first post, but that's why were all here to support each other as we go through this journey.

Good luck with your journey!

kamac
on 1/11/17 5:08 pm
VSG on 07/09/18

Hi Manda, thanks for the welcome! And congrats on your approval!

I agree the thorough approval process is all in our own best interests, and it helps me feel more trusting and confident in the process and the medical professionals. Surgery in and of itself makes me nervous, so it's good to know they want to make sure I'm healthy, and I appreciate they want to make sure we're ready mentally as well.

Skin is a weird thing, I guess it's not just the amount of weight lost but things like genetics and age can play a part too. I'm 41, and have gained and lost approx. 100lbs. not once but twice before in my life- gained and lost once in my 20s', and once in my 30's. Loose skin was a bit of problem after the first time, more of a problem after the second time. There's no doubt in my mind it will be a major problem for me once I lose all this weight again (permanently this time!)

Reading the posts here has been so helpful, it's a wonderful resource to have. Thanks again for the welcome, and I'll "see" you around!

Kara

-Vincent Van Gogh

Most Active
Recent Topics