3 weeks post op - eating questions (Surgery was at TWH so I am on their plan)

Kathy1212
on 2/13/17 4:40 pm

Tomorrow is my 2 week surgiversary and I am jealous of you all.  I so know I had surgery.  I was in major pain for over a week and a half and it has only gone down to discomfort levels over these past few days, (thank God).

It takes me about 3-4 hours to drink 1 premier protein, and I have to wake up early and stay up late in order to get my water in.  I do it though, as I don't want to get dehydrated.

I had a medicine cup (30 ml) of cream of mushroom soup yesterday and it made me feel nauseated.  The day before I had an espresso cup (approx 40 ml) of very milky cream of wheat and was able to tolerate that well. Today I tried half an espresso cup of fat free cottage cheese and it was yummy!  It took me an hour and a half to eat it and I felt very full after.

I went grocery shopping today and it was nice to get out.  I did a lot of walking up and down every aisle, and backtracking, and it took about an hour. I  should have worn my pedometer, lol.  I felt good but was very tired when I came home, and my back was aching. Other than that walk, I've just been walking around the house.  We have so much snow I'm afraid to walk outside.

It's funny, as I was worried I'd get head hunger from seeing my old trigger foods.  I didn't even notice them until I was at the check out counter, and saw some chocolate and M&M's with almonds (my old favorite).  Instead of wanting them, I felt a huge surge of revulsion from just looking at them.  I was angry at them for having so much power over me for so long. I should have been angry at myself but wasn't, so I guess that's healthy, lol.

I am really looking forward to starting the pureed foods in 3 days.  I can't wait to try the baked ricotta and the refried beans. In the meantime, I'm really happy I was able to  tolerate the cottage cheese.  I bought some cream of chicken and cream of celery soup too, to try.  Hopefully it will go down better than the cream of mushroom; yuck, lol.

Oh, for weight, I lost 23 Ibs during 3 weeks of Opti and 9.8 Ibs my first week post op.  I'll weigh myself tomorrow for my 2 week post op.  TDotDana, you're doing great!  So are the rest of you.  

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

TDotDana
on 2/13/17 8:15 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 01/23/17

sounds like you are on the right track - sorry you are having some difficulties - i am sure they are only temporary - keep up the great progress!

HW - 283lbs (1991)** LW - 206lbs (2014)**CW 265lbs **Slimband - March 8, 2013 ** 275lbs @ Preop Diet**  261lbs on surgery day**Referral TWH - Feb'16**Orientation TWH - May 11/16**Psychologist TWH (Dr Wnuk) - June 24/16 ** Social Work (Anna Wallwork) - July 20/16 **Nurse (Wei Wang) - July 25/16 ** Nutrition Class (Lorraine Gougeon) - Aug 15/16    Endoscopy TWH - Aug 18/16  Dietician (Laura Scott) - Sept 15/16 Surgeon Dr Okrainek Nov 18/16 ** PreOP @ TWN Jan 9/17 *** RNY & Lap Band Removal Surgery @ TWH Jan 23/17 w/ Dr Urbach

theprodg
on 2/15/17 8:11 am

My 3 week post op anniversary is tomorrow and my story is very similar. I did full liquids for the first 2 weeks then started puree on Sunday. But truthfully haven't really done too much actual puree. I've had salmon, poached eggs, lasagne filling (no noodles) and thick soups. I eat slowly, every 30-60 seconds or so, but have no problem getting in 3oz of salmon and a couple of sweet potato fries or 1 cup of soup. I don't eat very often, generally just 3 meals a day, so I'm still struggling to get in all my protein and even all my fluids, but I can take large mouthfuls and have felt zero discomfort or the feeling of anything being stuck. I'm kind of merging the soft foods/puree stage as well, since I seem to be tolerating food so well.

My weight dropped 11 pounds on optifast and then another 15 since surgery, but no movement in the last week or so. I was prepared for the stall, but I'm still pretty impatient to get to my bikini bod LOL. I will be going to my first follow up appt at TWH on March 8 and have a number of questions for then but so far I think I'm doing okay. I took no pain meds since leaving the hospital and all the gas pains were gone within a week, so I've had no trouble sleeping or lifting. The nausea isn't very bad, sometimes first thing in the morning but that's it. I don't crave foods like I used to so that's good but I do feel slight hunger pains at night if I haven't eaten in a while.

Claire

October 21, 2015 Orientation class March 7, 2016 Social work March 7, 2016 Nurse practitioner May 31, 2016 Nutrition class August 29, 2016 Nutritionist September 6, 2016 Psychology November 18, 2016 Surgeon (TWH) December 9, 2016 - Surgeon (Guelph) January 13, 2017 - pre-op appointment January 26, 2017 surgery RNY

TDotDana
on 2/17/17 11:52 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 01/23/17

Our stories are very similar indeed.

My follow up is March 8th at TWH in the afternoon - so maybe we will see each other there.

I get dizzy/nauseous if I have been sitting or laying down too long - and get up - but only last a few seconds.

Mornings seem to be the worse - I feel like I have been run over by a truck when I wake up - but to be honest - I think it has been getting better this past week.

Good luck - and our bikini bods will be here before we know it :)

HW - 283lbs (1991)** LW - 206lbs (2014)**CW 265lbs **Slimband - March 8, 2013 ** 275lbs @ Preop Diet**  261lbs on surgery day**Referral TWH - Feb'16**Orientation TWH - May 11/16**Psychologist TWH (Dr Wnuk) - June 24/16 ** Social Work (Anna Wallwork) - July 20/16 **Nurse (Wei Wang) - July 25/16 ** Nutrition Class (Lorraine Gougeon) - Aug 15/16    Endoscopy TWH - Aug 18/16  Dietician (Laura Scott) - Sept 15/16 Surgeon Dr Okrainek Nov 18/16 ** PreOP @ TWN Jan 9/17 *** RNY & Lap Band Removal Surgery @ TWH Jan 23/17 w/ Dr Urbach

MC_Akeson
on 2/18/17 8:17 am - Ontario, Canada

I'm so glad to see others have had a stall when they introduced puree! I lost 7 pounds my first week post-op when I was on full fluids and only 5 in the last 12 days. I figured it would take a few days for my system to get used to food again but I  find 12 days is a little long. I'm also impatient to get into my little swimsuit   Some days I'm just tempted to go back to full fluids all day but I know I can't do that for the rest of my life and it's important to get back to regular food. Hopefully, things will start going down a little faster and a little sooner for all of us!

RNY: Jan. 31, 2017, Ottawa Civic with Dr. Amy Neville

5' 2"; HW (@ start of Optifast): 267 & 45.5% BF; SW: 247

Er1n
on 2/19/17 1:41 pm
RNY on 10/24/16

3 week stall!! Soooo normal and happens to most. Hang in there. Keep working your plan!!

Most Active
Recent Topics