RNY at Humber tomorrow

Linda B.
on 2/14/17 5:45 am

Have been reading everyone posts and they are very informative so thank you to everyone whom took the time to share their journey.

Tomorrow at Humber I will have RNY by Dr. Klein in the morning.

Any suggests for the hospital stay?    

Kathy1212
on 2/14/17 6:10 am

Congratulations on your surgery tomorrow!  Are you excited?

I had surgery on Feb. 1st, and I found the Biotene dry mouth spray invaluable because after surgery, my mouth was super dry. 

I wasn't allowed to use the gas-x that I brought because the nurse said it would only make matters worse.

The dry shampoo was a good idea BUT the brand I bought had a strong perfume smell and I didn't know it until I tried it.  I only did one spray in the hospital bathroom and decided it was too strong; I didn't want to irritate the other patients.  If you can find a fragrance free dry shampoo, it would really help.

I brought a book to read, to distract myself, and when my friend visited after surgery she brought my laptop and phone, and those were so important to distract myself, especially at night when I couldn't sleep.  If you bring yours, earbuds help so you won't disturb other patients.

Loose pants with a draw string waist were great; pants with an elastic waist band were not.

I think the most important thing though, was a travel pillow to hold against my tummy when I walked or moved. If I had to do it over, I'd make sure I had a binder, but the pharmacies near me didn't have any.

Good luck; you'll be on the loser's bench in no time!

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Linda B.
on 2/14/17 6:33 am

Thank you Kathy.  Hope everything is well with you. How was the few days after surgery for you?

Kathy1212
on 2/14/17 2:05 pm

Everything is great, thanks!  I'm so happy I did this.  My Mom commented today that she couldn't believe how fast my face has slimmed down. That was nice to hear.

The first few days after surgery were rough for me but I'm sure they'll be fine for you because I'm in the minority with that; most people say they just have some discomfort, not pain.  I had pain but I think it was because I could not tolerate the full dose of painkillers without becoming so lightheaded that I almost passed out while walking and two nurses had to hold me up against the wall until I could walk again. They had to cut me down to  a half dose, so my pain wasn't managed. They kept me an extra night, so I spent 3 days in the hospital.

I'm sure your surgery will go well and you'll have a great recovery.  Sending warm thoughts and prayers.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Mahalo F.
on 2/14/17 6:47 am, edited 2/13/17 10:50 pm

Congratulations!

Woo hoo! Very exciting!   

In preparation for your hospital stay?

Where loose fitting bottoms.  Mine were elastic waist and were loose & comfortable enough.  Bring a house coat to wear so that you can walk up & down the corridors.

Bring your phone & charger... Lip balm because it is very dry in hospital.  I showered and washed my hair the morning of surgery and went home the following day at noon.

I would go with bare essentials. I did not invest in an abdominal binder and did not need one.

The pain & antinausea meds kept me quite sedated.  The lack of sleep the night before made me sleep most of my operative day.  At one point, I remember struggling to text my family that everything had gone well.

Our mantra here at OH???

SIP ? WALK ? TOOT? REST ? REPEAT?

Get up and going when they give you the green light.  I was up and walking every hour until I went to bed.

Remember to do as you are told and follow the rules...

Good luck

Sending you lots of positive vibes and healing!

Take care & keep in touch   

Sandra.  

Mahalo.  

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

IN THE END WE ONLY REGRET CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE.

Linda B.
on 2/14/17 6:52 am

Mahalo F.,  Thank you so much for responding, greatly appreciated.

Linda B.
on 2/14/17 7:54 am

Thank you so much.

MicheleA
on 2/14/17 7:27 am

Good luck tomorrow. I had surgery at HRH on Jan 30th at around 2:30 pm. I was released the next day around 6:30 pm.  I brought my ipod, ear buds and a few magazines but did not use any of it. The pain meds kept me sleepy. You get NO sleep the first night. Literally almost every hour they are coming into your room to take blood, check your vitals or I was asking for more pain meds etc. So on day 2, I was happy to grab an hour of sleep here and there. I did bring and use a face cloth, toothbrush and deodorant. that was pretty much it. They provided a large housecoat type thing I wore as I walked the halls. As everyone else has mentioned, bring comfy clothes to go home in.

For me personally the first two days were very painful and extremely uncomfortable. On the 3rd day, things settled and I felt so much better. From that point forward, it got easier every day,

Linda B.
on 2/14/17 7:56 am

Thank you so much for the reply.

Dandy71
on 2/14/17 5:50 pm

Hi Michele, I was reading your post and realize that we had our surgeries on the same day.  I think I went before you at 12pm. Dr. Starr did mine. How are you recovering?

Most Active
Recent Topics