Prevacid

Wayne H.
on 2/26/17 10:04 am
RNY on 02/08/17

I was prescribed Rabeprazole which is also a proton pump inhibitor.  3 months worth.

Not sure what the diff is between the two but mine was covered @80%

skinny_gigi
on 2/26/17 2:19 pm

Good to know! I may ask my dr. for something else after.  Apparently the pravacid fast tab is not covered by most insurance b/c there is a pill substitute that IS covered..my surgeon ordered the dissolvable kind so that's why...

Anyway, I got it will see what all the hype is about   I'm going in on Wednesday - so i'm not going to start complaining now!

RNY March 1, 2017 with Dr. Reed.

(deactivated member)
on 2/26/17 2:29 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

You can sometimes have your doctor write a note that you need the fast tabs for medical reasons and your insurance will reimburse you at their regular rate of coverage.  Mine was covered but a friend needed the note and then they covered it.

MC_Akeson
on 3/1/17 9:50 am - Ontario, Canada

Me too. I think Ottawa is giving it to all their patients for the first 6 months to help reduce acid and improve healing. I like because the pills are so small you can swallow the whole thing from day one. I was cutting mine in half just to make sure but it was giving me major cramps. The nurse assured me at my 1 week post-op meeting that I san swallow the whole pill without problems. Didn't have any cramping since then. My insurance covered the whole price. 

RNY: Jan. 31, 2017, Ottawa Civic with Dr. Amy Neville

5' 2"; HW (@ start of Optifast): 267 & 45.5% BF; SW: 247

Kathy1212
on 2/26/17 3:33 pm

I was prescribed it too, and it wasn't covered. I just picked up more today, and it came to $79.00 for one month's worth.  The pharmacist says the capsule type of prevacid is covered on my insurance, and I explained that I can't swallow capsules.  He said I could open the capsules and dump the contents into a spoon of apple sauce and take it that way, but I was afraid to try it that way so soon after surgery.  Next month though, I'll do it that way, to save the money.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

skinny_gigi
on 2/26/17 4:47 pm

$79 is a great price...I didn't realize drug prices where not all the same.  I was quoted $200 at shoppers and got them for $139 at the supermarket...

anyway, i agree I didn't chance it.

I called the insurance the other day and told them I cannot take the pills and they didn't seem to care.  LOL.

RNY March 1, 2017 with Dr. Reed.

Kathy1212
on 2/26/17 5:04 pm

I went to the Walmart Pharmacy; they generally have better prices.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Most Active
Recent Topics