Consumed with surgery and OH

Buffymom
on 2/25/17 7:25 am

I am in the same boat as you.  Found this site about a week ago, and I have been checking out posts a few times a day.  I think we are normal.. LOL

roxytrim
on 2/25/17 8:31 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

It's all good.  Might as well obsess wiith the journey insetad of food.  This site is a good tool all along your journey regardless of the phase you are in.

FozzieBear
on 2/25/17 8:51 am
RNY on 11/21/16

As you can see you are definitely not alone. I think the word obsessed actually falls a little short of describing my pre op approach to research and now 3 months post op I continue to read and learn here every day. For me it was important to feel prepared and educated about what I was getting myself into but I will add that as prepared as I felt there is a big difference between learning it and living it. As valuable as it is to learn from the people who are living the WLS lifestyle we each have to find our own individual path through all this and I think it's so important to remember that when we are trying to find our new normal. 

I understand the obsession. All the information about shakes, kitchen gadgets, vitamins, do this, don't do that.... it's a lot and it's a big adjustment but the absolute biggest change required is between your ears. If there is something to put time and energy into it's that. My complications have been virtually nonexistent but that hasn't meant it 's been smooth sailing in my head. The biggest battle for me is emotions vs logic. Those two so rarely see eye to eye. It's so easy to get caught up in the day to day, the scale and routine but the very best thing we can do for ourselves is take an impartial look from time to time at what we are accomplishing. Don't worry too much about what you'll be eating and drinking, that will sort itself out and there's no need to stock up on anything, the stores will be open after surgery too.

Keep reading, keep learning and keep in mind that your experience will be unique to you. 

RNY - Nov 21st 2016

HW 386 SW 309.8 CW 174.1

M1: 17 M2: 17.2 M3: 12.6 M4: 18.8 M5: 14.4 M6: 18.4 M7: 13.5 M8: 13.1 M9: 7.8

Christine

leeann73
on 2/25/17 10:52 am

That was me too. Completely natural I think. This is a super big deal and a major life change.  It is a good obsession to have. 

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

kamac
on 2/26/17 1:07 pm
VSG on 07/09/18

Yes! And let me say, you're definitely not crazy- you're meeting your surgeon in not too long, after all!

I'm in the early stages of the process, I skim this forum several times a day and am a voracious lurker. So far I've bought 4 Torani Sugar-Free syrups (and just ordered 2 more)- and I've been checking out the extracts at Bulk Barn...I figure I might as well get used to being as sugar-free as possible now, and I too want to make sure I know exactly what flavours I like well before I start on Optifast! Right now I'm a bit obsessed with researching protein powders. And don't get me started on the topic of plastic surgery! LOL

I think it's normal, and besides which, it's much better to be over-prepared than under-prepared. I can sympathize with the "am I totally nuts???" worrying, though. I'm sure I'll just get squirrellier and squirrellier the closer I get to the actual surgery!

Kara
Highest Weight: 420; Opti Starting Weight: 395; Surgery Weight: 371;
Current Weight: 322.1; Goal Weight: 160

"Find things beautiful as much as you can, most people find too little beautiful."
-Vincent Van Gogh

Most Active
Recent Topics