food issue

leeann73
on 3/21/17 9:34 am

I posted this on another forum so sorry for the double post if you read more than one forum:

I have made the ricotta bake twice. The first time was last week and I was able to eat it with no problem(it makes 4 servings). I made it this week - I ate it for lunch and dinner no problem on Sunday; I had it for dinner last night and lunch today (just now) and both of these last two times it has not sat well - I cannot finish the portion and I have pain in my pouch pretty quickly after the 2nd or 3rd bite. Maybe I am eating too fast or not chewing enough? Is it possible that the pouch is picky? not happy about this - it is sitting in the middle of my throat right now and I am sucking on a mint to keep it down .... wish I could drink some water ...

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

Tracks
on 3/21/17 10:03 am - Halton Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/25/17

I'm not much help, the only thing I can tell you is that the dietitian had said that in most cases food intolerance is actually eating technique. As you mentioned, are you eating faster, not chewing enough?

I had my surgery a month before you and I still feel nothing in my pouch. I feel like I can eat as much as I want, as fast as I want. I can't feel food going in or out. I understand this is from the cut nerves and takes some time before feeling comes back. Could it be you're nerves are starting to heal?

I hear you about the water. I'd love some, not to wash the food down, but to clean the inside of my mouth when I eat. It's a hard habit!

HW: 335 SW: 310 CW: 287

Kathy1212
on 3/21/17 12:15 pm

The ricotta bake gave me a lot of pain the first time I tried it. The second time, I added way more sauce to make it less dense and it was easier, but I still had pain a few hours later. I had to go back on liquids for 2 more weeks and haven't tried the Ricotta bake again yet, but may make some next week.

If you ate it as a left over and had pain, perhaps it dried out a bit or got dense when you reheated it? Try adding more sauce to see if it helps, and concentrate on eating slowly.

So far I'm having the best luck with pureed chicken. I make faux wings, lol; pureed chicken, with a tbsp low sugar ketchup 1 tbsp splenda brown sugar, 4 tbsp Skyr yogurt, puree it, then eat it with a bit of low cal ranch dressing and hot sauce. To die for and so easy on the pouch, despite the hot sauce.

Today I tried a pureed stuffed green pepper that my Mom made. It had ground pork and about a tbsp of rice in mine (I asked her to leave the rice out but she said it needed at least some rice, lol). I added a quarter cup of low carb low sugar tomato basil sauce on it to make it moist enough to puree, and yum! Delish.

I bought a mug warmer and it's the best thing I ever did; it keeps my food warm-hot the entire time it takes me to eat, and it takes me ages to eat, lol.

The water thing is hard for me too. On my plan I'm actually allowed water with purees; it's not until the soft food stage where I have to wait half an hour after eating, but I've been doing it now anyway, to get into the habit. The only time I don't is when I use too much hot sauce and need a small sip to soothe my mouth, lol.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Leslie W.
on 3/21/17 4:15 pm - Cobourg, Canada

You will find that one day a food works then the next time you just put it in your mouth and you'll know nope not going to go down. If you find a little.dry and got stuck a little sip OK. Just not too much as don't want it coming back up. Leave the bake for.awhile and try again in a few weeks. Even 5 yr out I still.encounter some in tolerances that don't make sense.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Most Active
Recent Topics