Hair loss!!

Jo0710
on 4/26/17 5:15 am

I've been having hair loss for almost a month now and this mornings shower ended up with a huge hair chunk that came out. I always get my hair bleached ombré style (once every 3 months) and I'm actually going in tomorrow for highlights for the summer weather. I'm beginning to think I just need to cover it in a brown tone (natural) and just cover my roots when I go grey but I really like lighter hair. Plus should I be cutting it shorter?

What are some things I can do or take to help my hair?

RNY Jan 16/17 Surgery @ St. Mikes with Dr. Rotstein. Pre-Surgery -20lbs & Optifast -15lbs. Year 1 Loss after RNY: 131lbs

**Half the woman I was**

White Dove
on 4/26/17 6:23 am - Warren, OH

There is nothing you can take or do to stop the fallout.

Bleaching won't make it worse and brown color won't make it better.

The hair loss that occurs after surgery is because the hair follicles go to sleep when the body is put to sleep for surgery. That changes the cycle of hair loss and regrowth.

Typically hair loss starts after month three and ends by month nine.

A shorter cut can make it easier to deal with. Keeping up your protein and vitamins and keeping your scalp healthy provides a good "garden" for the new growth.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

oneatatime
on 4/27/17 10:07 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

It's more likely the weight loss that causes the hair to fall out, not the surgery.

Hair loss with weight loss is called "telogen effluvium." The stress to one's system from sudden or excessive weight loss can throw hair follicles into their resting phase. This is when many hairs are shed.

fromfattohealthy
on 4/26/17 6:52 am - Canada

I am not post op yet, but I have researched everything. I have heard that Nioxin products are very good, also doing a gentle scalp massage.

Bleaching is hard on the hair, so maybe reconsider that or speak to your hairdresser :)

5'0 - SW - 240LBS | Lap Band - August 2015| Revision Band to RNY Surgery - May 16, 2017| Opti-fast - 9lbs | G.W - 150LBS | CW - 165LBS |

Linda M.
on 4/26/17 6:53 am, edited 4/25/17 11:54 pm - Orillia, Canada

I have read numerous members' posts and the predictable 3 week stall, and the 3 month hair loss seems pretty typical - although some experience more than others. Although I'm only 5 weeks out, I spoke to my hairdresser and told her that I had the surgery so she would be aware of the potential hair loss. She has had other clients and she explained that all experienced some hair loss of varying degrees. I've been growing my hair a bit longer from a bob and agreed that if my hair did start falling out, we would go back to the shorter, chin length style. To know that it is short-term is a good thing. During my sister-in-law's divorce, due to stress, her hair came out in clumps and it literally took years to grow back. If it's only for a few months - as shocking as it might be - I think I can handle it. At least my face will look slimmer - lol.

Good luck. Your hairdresser will be able to help you with your decisions.

Orientation: June 29th, 2016, Surgery March 22, 2017. Pre-surgery: 16 lbs, (Size 2x, 18/20), M1: 19 lbs. (Size 1x, 16/18), M2: 13 lbs. (Size 16, XL) M3: 10 lbs. (Size 14/16, large). M4: 6 lbs. (Size 14, large/medium). M5: 10 lbs. (Size 14, solid medium - lol), M6: 9 lbs. (Size 12, medium). M7: 8 lbs. (Size 10/12 and small/medium). M8: 7 lbs. (Size 10 and small/medium). M9: 2 lbs. (Size 8/10 - small/medium). Lost 100 lbs by Month 9! M10: 5 lbs. M11: 4 lbs. One year: 6 lbs. Total 111 lbs. lost!

Jo0710
on 4/26/17 7:05 am

My hair is ombre right now and a dirty blond/brown colour but because of the nice weather coming I'd like it blonder (my hair is naturally brown). I'm going to a new hair dresser so I just messaged her and told her about my hair loss and not to be alarmed. We will try it tomorrow and see what happens. I'm going to call Windsor to see what I can take aka biotin or whatever it is to help.

It's been getting worse over the month and today was crazy. It actually was alarming to me to pull a chunk out and then brush my hair and having to empty out my hair brush right after losing that much. My hubby doesn't want me to cut it but if I take off 1-2 inches it may help (hopefully). It's not super long - probably 1-2 inches past my shoulders right now. I've been trying to find pictures of cuts I like that are trendy for thin hair.

RNY Jan 16/17 Surgery @ St. Mikes with Dr. Rotstein. Pre-Surgery -20lbs & Optifast -15lbs. Year 1 Loss after RNY: 131lbs

**Half the woman I was**

White Dove
on 4/26/17 8:16 am - Warren, OH

Biotin will not help with your hair loss on your head, but can give you an excellent growth of facial and body hair. I had to shave my legs twice a day when taking it and get full face waxings.

I finally figured out what was causing it, quit the biotin and the hair stopped growing.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Jo0710
on 4/26/17 8:23 am

Yikes! No thank you!!!

**Half the woman I was**

(deactivated member)
on 4/28/17 2:30 pm
VSG on 12/28/16

So glad I just read this. Waiting for someone at the pharmacy. Having the same issue and have Biotin in my buggy. Putting it back now! I have enough issues without looking like a Neanderthal woman.

Most Active
Recent Topics