Food that works for travel

Kaylar
on 12/12/17 12:17 pm - Toronto, On

Hey all,

I'll be taking the train home to visit my family for Christmas, and will be be "en route" for about a day and half without access to a microwave or other means of heating up any food that I bring with me.

I would really rather not buy any of the over-priced train food, especially as whatever they have probably won't work very well for me, so I'm wondering what suggestions you all might have for what I can put into my little thermal bag. Snacks and cheese and yogurt for breakfast are easy enough, but lunch and dinner are a bit harder unless I make a bunch of wraps. D:

I'm on soft food and haven't run into any intolerances yet, but I don't like eggs.

Hope you're all doing well!

Kayla

Ginnny
on 12/12/17 12:45 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

I think for this trip you'll have to get out of the mind set of certain foods for certain meals. What about cottage cheese, tuna, nuts, beef jerky, protein bars, protein shakes. Well maybe not nuts as they aren't soft food, but you get the picture. Yogurt and cheese will work for lunch and dinner as well. if you are taking an ice pack throw in some deli meat. Not sure what you'd make your wraps out of? Stay away from the carbs. Baby Bel cheese, can you eat beans cold? I know people have eaten re-fried beans at the soft food stage.

Put some thought into it you'd be surprised what you can come up with.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

Kaylar
on 12/12/17 1:12 pm - Toronto, On

That makes sense. Thanks for sharing! Honestly wraps weren't really an option, they were just the only cold meal I could think of. XD

If I ever have to get one I just eat the protein out of it and throw the rest away, so in this case I'd just be putting some chicken in a Tupperware with a little of some kind of sauce. Which isn't a terrible option, but I figured I'd check if anyone had any other ideas.

Starnaenae
on 12/12/17 1:54 pm

You can make protein oatmeal and ask for ho****er, you can use premier shakes, veggies and hummus, nuts, yogurts, fruits, deli meats, cottage cheese. You gotta get creative!!

TWH: Referral May 2015 --> Orientation November 2015 --> Surgeon at TWH Nov 2016 --> Transferred to Guelph --> Surgeon Appt Dec 1 2016 --> Opti Start Dec 8 2016 --> Surgery Dec 22 2016 HW: 331 SW:302 GW: 170

Kaylar
on 12/12/17 2:18 pm - Toronto, On

Yeah, I'm getting that impression. XD

Thanks for the suggestions!!

(deactivated member)
on 12/12/17 4:32 pm

I bring a pbj on low carb bread ..I add unflavoured protein to pb and superseeds that are pulverized.. if I can buy milk I do .or I bring it in my coffee cup . I actually brought this to the hospital when I went to orientation and I bring it to every visit ...to the hospital or doctor that I go to ...it is my go to food.. I don't want to buy anything from the food courts or Tims.

Kaylar
on 12/12/17 5:11 pm - Toronto, On

Oh, that's a good idea. I'll look into the low carb bread, thanks!! :)

(deactivated member)
on 12/12/17 6:15 pm, edited 12/12/17 10:16 am

Low carb naturally made bread available at Longos by Dimphelmeirs .. it is good.. and good protein.. also Haddad has natural pitas high protein low carb.. I used them to roll my chicken and greens...

oneatatime
on 12/12/17 6:58 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

A lot of my ideas have been said! Hummus with Melba toast or another light cracker you can chew right down, tuna, protein bars would be my go to. Cottage cheese and babybel.

I am also not someone who says I have to eat certain things at particular mealtimes. As long as it works out throughout the day.

Will you have access to water or will you be bringing lots of bottled water? I would bring lots, but it gets heavy!

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great. Preparation is so key, and you're well on your way. :)

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

leeann73
on 12/14/17 2:38 am

Premier protein drinks, hummus, pepperettes, baby belle, protein bars if you can tolerate them at this stage. It won't be exciting but just remember that food is fuel.

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

Most Active
Recent Topics