I saw my surgen yesterday! Can someone give me an idea of the first few weeks post op

laisheavenbound
on 12/21/17 6:12 pm - Parksville BC, Canada
VSG on 09/17/18

did most of you go home same day or did anyone go home same day?

leeann73
on 12/22/17 4:41 am

I kept a log of my liquid intake and had 1 oz every 15 mins. I took two weeks off and worked from home for a week. The worst pain was from the gas. Walk, sip and toot. Hot towels from the nurse really helped and at home a heating pad was very helpful. I was never hungry. I followed the directions to a "t". Do that as long as you can as the minute you slip it is just really easy to keep on slipping. I have never really had physical "dumping". I am able to tolerate everything which is not as great as it sounds as I would love not have to use good old fashion will power. Lol. I wore stretchy pants and comfy tops for ever. Be kind to yourself. Get a lot of sleep and remember that your health is precious and worth the fight. Good luck to you. Oh, keep your hospital bag light. I stayed in their gowns the entire time. Hardly needed anything that I brought.

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

anabanana1976
on 12/28/17 12:57 pm
VSG on 11/21/17

I am in BC and I had surgery on Nov 21st. It was laparsocpic - so 5 small incisions. I stayed in hospital for 2 nights since my breathing would dip quite low while on anasthetics.. but I was able to go home POD#2.

At home I was fine..I felt discomfort, but did not need T3's or regular Tylenol.
I walked my dog 3 times a day and just followed my dr's orders as they were outlined.

My cons:
I could not tolerate the protein shakes, which, is vital for protein intake , so I made home made soups and added protein powder. I never reached my protein target in the first 3 weeks and I put so much pressure on myself to do so, it drove me nuts. I found out that it was OK to not meet your protein.. my surgeon was more wanting me to stat hydrated.

Bowels - I thought I was constipated because I was having a BM every 3-5 days. Nope! It's perfectly normal while on Clear Liquids or Full fluids or even pureed foods. Once I started eating more solids, the BM's came naturally. I beat myself up over this.. for no reason.

The Multivits/Iron - I couldn't stand the taste of any of the chewables or the iron liquid. I asked my dietician if i can switch to Pills- she said at 6 weeks. Then i asked her if I could take the patch (Patch MD), she said it doesnt meet some Canadian Guidelines they follow.. so anyways, I have not been taking my Multivits/Iron for the past 3 weeks.. with that said - I DO NOT recommend anyone do that. I have only done it as there is no alternative and I am really trying to get as much nutrition in food wise now. My surgeon is aware and I will start on pill form soon.

Hunger Pains are real. I started getting them this past week.. still working on that.. (waiting for a reply from my surgeons office..)

I weigh myself once a week. My first week post op I lost 14 lbs, then 3, then 2, then 0.4, hen 1.6 - give yourself patience to accept that any loss is a good thing! Something I am learning to accept.

Always remember, it is YOUR Journey. Not your surgeons or your dietitians. Speak up. Don't accept a non-chalant answer, and make choices that work for YOU.

When is your surgery?

Ana

Most Active
Recent Topics