question about scar after arm surgery

appleone1
on 1/12/13 6:04 am - houston, TX

hello was wondering has anyone had surgery years ago from an arm lift or pictures does the long line from are arm to our armpit ever go away i no not completely but less visible. i guess my scar looks like a keyloid could be cause black people skins tend to keloid.. was wondering ?? ive been applying vitamin e.. just wondering if surgeon could have used better stitches? I think i just got screwed all the way around on my arm surgery i should have done more research.. AND ARE u suppose to still wear your garments after 2 months out of surgery so your arms can get back in shape? just had surgery in nov how long before arms start to get back to normal?

kathkeb
on 1/12/13 6:55 am

I am 2 years and 6 weeks out from my brachioplasty and my scars are almost invisible now.

if my arms are reached up above my head and bent down (like a triceps stretch) you can barely see it

I can feel the line with my fingers for about the lower 1/3 of the scar line --- the 2/3 from my armpit to my bicep are can't be felt or seen

with my arms down at my sides, the last 2 or 3 inches above my elbow are visible ---- and acceptable to me

I never wore 'garments' --- no compression, just long-sleeved shirts to keep my wounds covered for the first few weeks.

I also did not put anything on my incisions --- I tried cocoa butter at one point and it itched like crazy -- so I stopped that.

My doctor advised that I just give it time -- and by 1 year out, the scars were greatly reduced -- and now, as I said, they are barely visible

Kath

bamabelle16
on 1/12/13 9:50 am
I had my arms done the end of Aug. I never wore any garment on them. I did not have swelling. I was at my goal weight when I had my surgery. I use scar away silicone strips nightly. After showering, I rub on baby oil or Palmer's cocoa butter. I am also getting massage therapy on the scars. I avoided the sun and kept my arms covered. My scars are slowly fading and becoming less red/pink and raised. I expect most of the fading will be done in a year's time. I think I have a little keloid. I prefer to have the scars to the flags. I work out and now it shows in my arms! Keep taking care of them and they will gradually get better.
jeterway
on 1/12/13 10:13 am
I use a product called kela cote. It is a silicone based product. Expensive but works well. A little bit goes a long way. I order mine at amazon.com.

acbbrown
on 1/13/13 4:30 am - Granada Hills, CA

I wore compression garments for my arms for 4 weeks and that was it. I use a good lotion on the scars now and when I can remember, I put "scar guard" on them - it's a silicone/cortisone liquid that coats the scar - i use it instead of silicone strips which people say are usually pretty good for scar treatment (if I didnt have my whole body to deal with, id use them). 

I feel like my arms are back to normal after surgery on 11/16 - my scars are still pretty pink and a little raised, but I have total range of motion, and no pain/swelling issues with my arms. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

sonnieN
on 1/14/13 12:44 am, edited 1/14/13 12:45 am - grand rapids, MI

You can barely see my scars. I'm 1/2 black but don't scar bad at all and have never had keloids. How are the other incisions from other surgeries. Are they more faded? I just don't scar bad and from the moment I cam out of surgery the line of my incision was very small and light in color. My surgeon didn't use external stitches but internal ones and surgical glue (on all my incisions, LBL, Thighs & BL/BA) Depending on what they look like you can talk to someone about a scar revision. Not sure if that will make a difference or your body is just more prone to having the keloids like you said, unfortunately some people no matter how good the surgeon will end up w/ not great looking scars.

Oh, I think I did wear my compression sleeves up until 2 months out. Maybe even longer but only at night later on once I came home form work if I felt like they were swelling. Whatever makes you feel more comfortable. My Dr wanted me to wear them for at least 6 weeks but said when I went back to work @ 4 weeks I could just wear them at night. I tried that for a few days but went back to full time since it felt better and kept the swelling to a minimum.

Most Active