Showers with drains???

Cinn
on 3/13/13 3:23 am - MI

I'm seeing a lot of people able to shower a few days after a TT or LBL. How on earth do you do so with drains? Any tips or tricks? I'd be so afraid of getting soap and shampoo in the wounds, too.

Vicki D.
on 3/13/13 3:32 am - Sweet Home, OR

I'm 5 days post TT and my surgeon said to tie a ribbon or shoelace around my neck and clip my drain (I only have 1) to it.

Vicki D.
emelar
on 3/13/13 3:33 am - TX

My doc didn't allow showers while the drains were in.  Sponge baths only.  As nice as a shower sounded, I think I would have been too nervous to get into a shower too soon anyway - afraid of passing out.

Vicki D.
on 3/13/13 4:01 am - Sweet Home, OR
On March 13, 2013 at 10:33 AM Pacific Time, emelar wrote:

My doc didn't allow showers while the drains were in.  Sponge baths only.  As nice as a shower sounded, I think I would have been too nervous to get into a shower too soon anyway - afraid of passing out.

I was afraid of passing out too, but hubby got in with me and washed me.  I am a bit spoiled but I'm so proud of him, he has been amazing.  And he was really hoping that I would do my breasts first ;).  On a serious note, my doctor did give the okay or I would have waited :).

Vicki D.
melizabeth
on 3/14/13 12:50 am - CA
I'm afraid of passing out too. In the doctor office on 3 day check when they removed my binder I nearly passed out, had to seat down quickly. My husband has offered to get in the shower with me after my drains are removed and I plan on taking him up on it.

Melizabeth

RYN 9/20/11--HW 211--CW120--Extended TT 3/7/13   

GOAL Weight 120 met 18 months post op

emelar
on 3/14/13 2:11 am - TX

One of those little helpful hints that they really don't stress enough - make sure you're laying down when you take your binder off and give yourself a few minutes to let your blood pressure normalize.  Like everything else, it becomes less of an issue as you get further out.  But the first week or two, you really need to be horizontal!

melizabeth
on 3/13/13 3:55 am - CA
I have a zipperef pouch that hangs around my neck that holds both drain containers and I keep my cell phone in it, which is really handy. No shower for me until drains are out (Monday), per doctors orders.

Melizabeth

RYN 9/20/11--HW 211--CW120--Extended TT 3/7/13   

GOAL Weight 120 met 18 months post op

jeterway
on 3/13/13 7:32 am
I wore a pair of loose underwear in the shower and pinned the drains to them. No rubbing in the drain area just let the water run over them and you should be fine.

bamabelle16
on 3/13/13 8:39 am
I used a lanyard around my neck and large safety pins. Worked like a charm. I did have a shower bench to use if I got tired and needed to sit a moment.
Kim S.
on 3/15/13 1:11 am - Helena, AL

I was allowed to shower the 2nd day after my surgery (LBL and BL).  I have a very large shower, so I put a shower stool in there.  I also had one of those name badge lanyards that I clipped my drains to--worked beautifully!  I only used the stool the first two days.  After that, I was able to stand in the shower to bathe. I did it late morning right before a re-dose of pain meds.

Most Active