Home from Procedure feeling sore :(

NueBelieve
on 1/18/08 11:26 pm - PA
Well I had my "Prodecure" yesterday and I feel alot worse then I thought I would. I did have a ride home but this morning I am so sore. My throat of course but also my neck because they had my head tilted back thoughout and also  below my breast area across there. When I cough I can barely do so without pain. Anyone In the ReStore trial experience this? I am also on liquids for 2 days and then very soft foods for 3 weeks. Thanks for your replies and advice...all is appreicated :)
(deactivated member)
on 1/19/08 3:13 am
I felt similar to what you're experiencing but I didn't have any neck pain that I can remember.  My throat was too sore to think about anything else..lol.  I felt the discomfort too right below the left breast...good news is it sounds like you actually did have the procedure!   You may want to double check your post op diet.   My booklet clearly states 2 days of clear liquids, then 2 weeks of full liquids (protein shakes).  I'd hate to see you put any pressure on those stitches.  I was told that they can very easily come out and you wouldn't even know it as it was happening.   You'll should feel much better tomorrow.  Good luck and keep us posted!! 
NueBelieve
on 1/19/08 3:35 am - PA
Yes You are right Its 2 weeks of full liquids then it says 3 weeks of soft or until I go for my fellow-up endoscope. Does it sound like I had it? Last night I woke up in the middle of the nite and actually had a hunger pang and began to whine. It made me think I didnt have it but today I am forcing myself to drink cuz I just dont want anything. Hopefully your right and I did have it. I am sticking to the post op diet to the T. How did you know you had it? Thanks for your reply :)
(deactivated member)
on 1/19/08 4:11 am

NueBelieve:  I don't actually KNOW that I had the procedure...I mean no one has verified that I did have it, but physically I feel different.  The amount of food needed to satisfy me is only a fraction of what it took before.  I'm guessing you did have it by what you are describing but you will know more soon by how much it takes to satisfy you.  Even a SF jello is satisfying for me most of the time (unless it's mealtime).

happy girl
on 1/19/08 1:14 pm
Lullaby,  I didn't ask the dietician about the protein shakes, but was wondering if they said ready make ones like slim fast are ok, the low carb is very good, alot of protein and low sugar, or do they want us to drink things like unjury etc? I am wondering if I am going to be ok to go back to work the next day?  I might need an extra day off with the additional pain.

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/08 9:25 pm
Reese- They did say that the ready made ones were ok.  I had a supply of slim fast all ready to go when I came home from the hospital.  (I had regular ones, not low carb/sugar).  When I analyzed just how much protein was in them-only like 10 or 11 grams, then I looked into something else.  I bought something called Maximum Protein from GNC in the chocolate flavor.  It was about $35 and lasted about 1 1/2 weeks.  Each scoop had like 22 grams of protein and then with the skim milk it ended up being 30 grams per shake.  It was really low carb obviously and it was DELICIOUS!!!!  I used the slim fast ready to drink when I was on the go, shopping, away from home etc.  Like I said, I don't know anything about the low carb ones, but I was very concerned about the sugar content in the slim fast.  I didn't want to start craving sugar again.  Keep in mind you need at least 60 grams of protein per day (post procedure) so just getting there is the important thing.  
Betsy C.
on 1/22/08 12:29 am - Efland, NC
I just came across a whey isolate protein powder that you add to individual sized water bottles.  It's called ProteinPak 2 Go.  Each pack has 10 grams and they come in interesting flavors.  I have tried the Pomegranate Fruit and it was pretty darned good and refreshing.  I realize 10 grams is not a lot, but if you add it to each bottle of water you drink, it could really up your protein intake over the day.  Anyway, just thought I would pass it along. Check out: http://www.designerwhey.com/samples/?gclid=CLf1hsShipECFR8LIgod1XfdAA Betsy

Lap RNY 5/7/03
I lost 50+ pounds of regained weight with hCG drops.

nannetteb
on 1/22/08 3:58 am - Fort Worth, TX
I'm having an endoscopy for the same clinical study here in Dallas, TX on Friday. I read on one of your post that it cost nothing, do they not charge your insurance for the initial endoscopy to determine the size of the stoma ? Just curious. Also once you did you initial endoscopy do they bring you back for another about 6 weeks later? I know we're not suppose to know if we have the actual procedure or not until the study is over, but do they actually do 2 endoscopies ? Thanks in advance, Nannette
(deactivated member)
on 1/22/08 4:49 am
Hi Nannette- Actually, yes-they do charge your insurance for the initial endoscopy.  I forgot about that because I didn't have to pay out of pocket!  Also, they will try and bill your insurance company for some of the procedure like the preops, the anesthesia, etc.  I think if for some reason you don't have insurance or if your insurance company denies the charges, then the sponsor will pay for it.  I'm pretty sure the only thing you would be responsible (out of pocket)  at the most is the initial endoscopy because not everyone qualifies for the procedure.  Once you're in the study, then you're covered.  Here is what my insurance company was billed (and they paid it): ECG Interpretation Report  $64 Diagnostic Radiology (Chest Xrays) $59 General Anesthesia $1752.30 I don't have the other bill from my first endoscopy to see how much that was. As far as the frequency of endocopies, you get your intital one to see if you qualify, then you get one 6 weeks after the actual procedure (surgery day) and then at 6 months when the study is done.  Hope that helps!
Betsy C.
on 1/22/08 7:57 am - Efland, NC
My study coordinator (Baltimore) told me the endoscopy was covered as part of the study.  So when I was checking in that morning and they asked me for my insurance card, I said "I'm part of the study" and she said oh, okay.  And that was it - no money paid, no insurance card produced by me.  She told me initially that the only out of pocket expense would be for the upper GI, which I was to have in my home town.   So I'm surprised to hear that it's different at your site, and that they filed for coverage through your insurance. 

Lap RNY 5/7/03
I lost 50+ pounds of regained weight with hCG drops.

Most Active
Recent Topics