Divorce rate after weight loss surgery--75% is this true???

waitinggame
on 10/20/08 12:29 pm - Bowie, MD
Hi. I was just told by a friend that there is a 75% divorce rate among weight loss surgery patients. Is there any truth to this?? Now everytime my husband irritates me, I say jokingly, "76%, 77%...". I can see reasons why that would be the case and since the divorce rate is like 60% among the general population, I don't know why I am all that surprised. Just shocked me a little.

Have a good night!

Denise
Dave Chambers
on 10/20/08 12:32 pm - Mira Loma, CA
Divorce is not unheard of for post ops, but normally are based upon issues that had gone on PRIOR to surgery. Don't believe every rumor you hear--there are plenty in regards to RNY.   I have not seen or heard of any studies to validate the 75% rate your "friend" stated. Ask your friend for his or her source of information. Doubt if they can come up with one. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Launa N.
on 10/20/08 12:42 pm - Fort Hood, TX
I don't believe I know a single person who got divorced post WLS.  I know it happens but I just can't buy 75%.

Beginning 265/surgery 255/goal 140/ low 122/ current 158!!!
Post RNY 12/6/07, Post Abdominiopasty/Hernia repair 3/4/09

vortexbanding
on 10/20/08 12:42 pm - New Orleans, LA
 I'd like to see the publication which cites this number.
Lady Lithia
on 10/20/08 1:19 pm
From everything I've heard on the topic, the divorce rate post-WLS is not significantly different for the general divorce rate.

Good marriages stay good.
Bad marriages get worse.

I think that one of the variables, however, is that some folks who are overweight lack a high self-esteem, and some really do end up with the first person who can tolerate them (or whom they can tolerate)... feeling like they better snap up the first one interested because they won't get a better chance. Once they've lost the weight and begun to feel worthwhile, they might realize that their spouse or sig.ot. is really a total slimeball, and it's off with the slime, and on with some better catch.

I'm glad I have a very good marriage. It's not perfect, but it's pretty darn close.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

AmyBeth :)
on 10/20/08 2:04 pm - Fort Smith, AR
Yeah well I can offset that number cause I am getting married 1-10-09!

AB
waitinggame
on 10/20/08 3:42 pm - Bowie, MD
Well, I didn't press her for her source--I just thought it was interesting if there is any truth to it. She is getting divorced, so perhaps her perception is a bit skewed. Like I said, I can see why it might happen with scenarios as mentioned above and with jealousy issues arising like the ones I read about on a another thread on here a while back. Hopefully hubby and I will stay the course--he's a good guy, but then again he is still a guy!
blueeyesblinkin
on 10/20/08 4:54 pm - BFE, NE
I was never married but broke off a 9 yr relationship with my so a week ago.  Like someone else posted, I would agree that if the relationship was going downhill pre-op (in which mine was), it only gets worse because the changes just complicate things.
doreenh
on 10/20/08 6:59 pm - Meredith, NH
I think it's true that if your marriage was rocky before the surgery, it gets worse.  There are so many issues that you deal with. However if your marriage was good, I think it gets so much better.  I know my husband loved and married me thin, he loved me just as much as I got heavy and made sure I knew that the weight wasn't' an issue for him (because it was such an issue for me),now that I'm thin again, he still loves me the same, we just have more fun!

Kimberly H.
on 10/20/08 9:02 pm - FL

I'm not sure about the 75%, but I am 9 months postop and my husband walked out a month ago.  It has absolutely nothing to do with the surgery.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 199 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 256 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 265 views