TMI: question about periods after WLS

skabets112
on 3/22/11 5:15 am
so question for the ladies out there. I've had two periods since my surgery (it was about 2.5 months ago, Jan 11th). But my periods have been SUPER heavy the last two times. I feel like I'm bleeding to death (a little exageration, but it's been significantly heavier than before). I go through a "regular" tampon and a pad about every hour at my heaviest. Just wondering if this is normal, or if I shoudl think about talking to my doctor about this.

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me"  Phil 4:13

Katari
on 3/22/11 5:17 am - OR
The first  three of four I had after surgery were pretty heavy as well, they returned to (almost) normal about 6 months post-op.
Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

skabets112
on 3/22/11 5:19 am
gotcha, thanks Katie. I'll keep an eye on them, and make sure they don't get too heavy for too long.

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me"  Phil 4:13

hkailey
on 3/22/11 5:21 am
If you are going through a pad and a tampon within an hour...I would go see the doctor. Cannot be to cautious!
kipz303
on 3/22/11 5:48 am
I was the same way for the first 3-4 cycles.  I also had A LOT of blood clots in the mix. (tmi and eew but ya) Things are back to 'normal' now but I do notice since there's 110 lbs gone I can feel every little bitty cramp...word of note: midol makes a tylenol based product (NSAID free) and it works WONDERS on cramps.

RNY - August 13, 2010

LBL - October 29, 2012

a total of 271 lbs lost!!

flyingwoman
on 3/22/11 5:53 am
Very normal. Excess fat stores estrogen. Rapid weight loss releases it. More estrogen exerted can mean havier bleeding.
Liz J.
on 3/22/11 9:27 am - Woonsocket, RI

Great info! Thanks
Shelli W.
on 3/22/11 5:58 am
The same thing happened to me. The heavier flow also meant more intense cramps. The only thing that ever worked for me was Motrin and since we can't take it anymore, my periods were rough. The doc finally just put me on the pill to lessen the flow and the intensity of my cramps. My husband has a vasectomy ages ago so the only reason for the pill is regulating my periods. It's working so far. Good luck.
What progress, you ask, have I made? I have begun to be a friend to myself. Hecato, Greek philosopher        

2nd_Chance_Chick
on 3/22/11 7:32 am
On March 22, 2011 at 12:58 PM Pacific Time, Shelli W. wrote:
The same thing happened to me. The heavier flow also meant more intense cramps. The only thing that ever worked for me was Motrin and since we can't take it anymore, my periods were rough. The doc finally just put me on the pill to lessen the flow and the intensity of my cramps. My husband has a vasectomy ages ago so the only reason for the pill is regulating my periods. It's working so far. Good luck.
I had a tubal done years ago. I take BC pills for cramping because sometimes I just want to growl because they hurt soooo much. I use to vomit the first to days of my cycle and NOTHING helped. My daughter is now going through the exact same thing. Mine would stop me in my tracks and I could'nt work the first two days unless I started on a weeked.

My child is going through the same and can't work her first two days. Thank goodness that this is exused because it's in our medical records.

I know what i'm doing,I have it all planned-plans to give you the future you hope for.Jeremiah 29:11(The Message)

With God's Will, I was approved!

MELMEL308
on 3/22/11 9:00 am - PA
I haven't had surgery yet, and i am learning so much through this site.  I have always relyed on Ibprofin for cramps, headaches, and aches... When you have the bypass surgery, you can't take it anymore?
This is news to me.
                            ~Melanie~
"Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a beautiful butterfly"