dumb question thread

poet_kelly
on 3/24/11 10:39 pm - OH
We did this quite a while ago but I thought it would be good to do it again.

No, I don't want to gripe about dumb questions people ask.  I'm going to say the only dumb question is the one we do not ask.

So here is the place to ask all the questions you've really wondered about but were embarrassed to ask.  I bet someone can answer them.  Maybe me, but if not, someone else.  Or lots of someone elses.  Ask away.

Kelly

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 3/24/11 10:40 pm - OH
And I have a question myself.

Why do our tastes change after surgery?  I know that is very common and mine sure did, although they went back to normal almost but not quite after several months.  But why does it happen?  After all, they did not operate on my taste buds!

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Pam T.
on 3/24/11 11:54 pm - Saginaw, MI
 The taste buds changing thing actually is based in biology. There are a few factors at play:

*** in the 2 weeks following surgery our taste buds are influenced by the anesthesia that remains in our system. For some people that goes away in a few days, for others it can linger for up to 14 days. It'll leave a metallic taste in your mouth.

*** in the first few months after surgery we're dealing with ketosis because of the dramatic decrease in carb intake. This is a bad thing for our body to be in for long periods of time because we're basically shedding fat cells without the body being able to use that stored fat as energy -- it is shed as toxins. Those toxins can cause the white filmy stuff to appear on the tongue, can be excreted in our breath and urine among other things.... so those toxins can interfere with how things taste to us.

*** before surgery we would eat so fast and not ever pay attention to the foods we gulped down. Remember how hard it was to learn how to chew, chew, chew? Now that we're truly tasting our foods, we realize that somethings never really tasted very good -- and some things taste delicious. We also have different tolerances because of how our body digests things, so we may have a psychological reaction to some foods. For instance, eggs sit really heavy in my pouch and make me feel ill -- so my "taste" for eggs has really diminished over the years and they don't seem to taste as good to me as they used to. So I believe the taste factor of eggs is effected directly by my physical reaction to the eggs once they're in my pouch. 

HTH
Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

poet_kelly
on 3/24/11 11:58 pm - OH
Do you think the thing about chewing more and slower is why stuff tasted so much sweeter?

I should have known you'd know.

Pam T.
on 3/25/11 12:15 am - Saginaw, MI
I think the whole chewing more and taking longer to eat is part of the reason foods are so much more intense. I think the other factor is that because we can only eat small amounts of food, we're really focused on eating higher quality foods - rather than just worrying about quantity. So we are paying closer attention to what we're eating, the flavor, the texture, the nutrient content, etc. Maybe that stuff was always overly sweet -- but since we gulped it down before, maybe we never really noticed it. 

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Lady Lithia
on 3/25/11 1:17 am
After my recent surgery (whi*****luded 48 hours of fasting) things were a LOT sweeter afterwards..... other surgeries where I only fasted 8 hours didn't do this, but the longer fast..... oh yeah, everything multiplied in sweet intensity..... I think in a way it's abstinence from those foods combined  with the anaesthesia.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Ambria
on 3/26/11 8:03 am
My taste buds changed after surgery - I almost 9 months out and they still are changed - i can't tolerate sweet things.  My sister wishes hers changed like mine...lol

Kim S.
on 3/24/11 10:47 pm - Helena, AL
I can't wait to see the answers to that one!  I've wondered that too!  After surgery I can still no longer stand egg salad, and it was one of my favorites.  I also now love sushi and bloody Mary's (not together) and I couldn't stand them before.

poet_kelly
on 3/24/11 10:48 pm - OH
I lost my taste for sweets for a long time though now I like them again.  Too bad for me, huh?

And  I always liked spicy food but now I love it and the spicier the better.  Spicier than I liked it before surgery.

Kelly

Hope V.
on 3/24/11 11:08 pm - MN
ok so here is mine dumb question. Why is it if I make a mistake and eat to much why do I feel that burning sensation in my every part of my body ? I mean I am glad that it makes me so miserable but I dont get it

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 302 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 223 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 290 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 148 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 223 views