I'm completely frustrated

Reddheadd7
on 4/1/11 7:20 am - CA
I'm really frustrated right now. The surgery center I'm going through has required me to see a therapist because of the results of my psycological evaluation. Tthe person I chose has never dealt with someone going through this process or surgery. I chose her because she specializes in eating disorders. I honestly don't know if I have one, I think I just like food and don't particularly like exercise (although I'm doing it now). Today I saw her for the 4th time and now I feel like she's trying to give me more hoops to jump through and I feel she doesn't really listen because I'm constantly repeating myself. I'm afraid to change therapists because I want the surgery done in June. Even this woman is trying to set it out further but I have reasons for June...summer vacation, kid is gone to grandmas. Perfect time for me... She's trying to say she has my best interest and wants to make sure I don't have any regrets later.  I get it but REALLY???? I've gone through this process twice already, I've been researching and preparing myself for 5 years! I think I know what I'm getting myself into...

Has anyone else had to do this? Maybe I just need to lie so she hears what she wants...I'm not a good liar...any suggestions or just support. Idk, I'm just bumed today.

lorilea
on 4/1/11 7:29 am - MN
My psych evaluation was one visit.  Met with a dr. for 20 minutes, took the MMPI test and was done.  I went to one the dr.'s that my surgeon's office recommended.  If your surgeon's office hasn't provided you with a list of recommended psychologists you may want to ask them.  You only need to meet the requirements that either your surgeon or your insurance company requires. 

That's just my experience though, it could be different in your area.  Best of luck.

Laura A.
on 4/1/11 7:40 am - Manteca, CA
I can feel you.....  I had a somewhat similar thing happen to me. 

My program required 5 sessions of a "Mindful Eating" group therapy class with the psychologist that would give us our approval for surgery.  We had many discussions within the group about the differences in binge-eating and over-eating.  From these 'discussions' I gleaned that the psychologist felt binge-eating was problematic...so when I went for my one-on-one pre-surgery evaluation I did tell her what she wanted to hear....that I was not a binge-eater....just an over-eater.

In reality...I'm sure I was BOTH  

I am now 5 years out and have been maintaining my weight loss, so I count myself a success....

Laura A.         5'3"  BW299/CW135

dkwilliams1
on 4/1/11 8:10 am - AK
my "nut" eval was an hour and a half, and ended with, "Oh my !!! Is that the real time? This is the longest session I'ne ever had..." I didn't know if he was joking or serious, but it made me nervous and scared I wouldn't be approved. He made me take written tests, then scored them in front of me, then lectured me while asking me more questions. I did get approved (thank God !!!). Here's my advice to you- the next time you go to see her, tell her exactly what you said, how you feel they're janking your chain and trying to make more hoops for you to jump through. Then, casually throw in the "intentional harrassment" and "infliction of physical and mental anguish" that your ATTORNEY suggested (you make them think you have one already, and have been talking with them)... this usually makes things start happening. Anytime you mention "Lawyer" people straighten up real quick. Hope this helps.

poet_kelly
on 4/1/11 8:22 am - OH
First, do you think some therapy - good therapy - would help you?  If so, find a new therapist.  I think that if you're in therapy and have  made some progress on the issues at hand, you should be able to have surgery in June, though they may want you to commit to continuing therapy afterward.  I'm not your surgery, of course, so I can't promise that.

If you really feel you don't need therapy, you can just say what you think she wants to hear.  But do you  know what that is?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

immafatgirl
on 4/1/11 11:33 am - KY
i saw a therapist, my bariatric team scheduled . it was about a 30 minute session and thats all ihave to do.. i was just myself and told them ive tried to lose weith . i just cant do it on my own any more and its made me depressed.. hat was it ... i met my surgeon today . but believe me , my weight has made me darn crazy.... i just hid most of it .. but i would straight up tell her . hey i need this surgery and i feel as though you are stalling my progress of having a fullfilled life .. stand up for your way of thinkin g.. i hate the slow journey ive been on also . but im well on my way .. good luck to you...
Most Active
Recent Topics