Newbie poll: what makes a high/good protein food?

Cleopatra_Nik
on 4/8/11 1:48 am - Baltimore, MD

Folks that are more than six months out...while I can't dictate anything, I'd say I'm MOST interested in hearing from those less than six months out.

What do you think makes a food high protein? Were you given any parameters? Do you have any parameters of your own that you use? 

In short, when looking at a food and deciding whether you will eat it, what factors do you use to determine if it is a good protein source?

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

emilychristo12
on 4/8/11 1:59 am - TX
 The test that I was given for a good "protein meal" is that it should have at least 20 grams of protein total and less that 250 calories.  I just went today and got some unflavored whey protein powder so I can add it to my soups.  Hopes this is useful :-)
  "If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters. This struggle may be a moral one; or it may be a physical one; or it may be both moral and physical; but it must be a struggle."  
-Frederick Douglass

Cleopatra_Nik
on 4/8/11 2:03 am - Baltimore, MD
Are you only talking about protein powder though? I'm interested in how you judge foods as well.

What do look at to see if a food product is high protein? Sorry if that's what you meant. I couldn't tell. :)

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

emilychristo12
on 4/8/11 2:09 am - TX
 That was just the general rule...so it would all add up to at least 20 grams of protein.  You don't have to apologize for asking more questions :-)  

Also, I'm still new at this but my general rule is what it has alway been.  I try to look at more than just the protein. I want protein with a decent level of carbs, fat and fiber.  This probably has roots in my Weigh****chers history.
  "If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters. This struggle may be a moral one; or it may be a physical one; or it may be both moral and physical; but it must be a struggle."  
-Frederick Douglass

Cleopatra_Nik
on 4/8/11 2:14 am - Baltimore, MD
Oh yes, I understand wanting a good balance of nutrients, but I find that sometimes folks eat copious amounts of certan foods in the name of protein, when said foods are actually primarily sources of carbs or fat. So I thought I'd ask what parameters people use to judge. Just to see where folks heads are on the subject of protein.

happyhealing
on 4/8/11 2:19 am

Fish, Meat, Cheese, and Eggs, I try to eat those first.  If they dont sound good, I go for the Premier protein drink or bar. 

Cleopatra_Nik
on 4/8/11 2:22 am - Baltimore, MD
Yes but what MAKES those good protein choices. Like if you had a choice between one kind of fish or another, do you have a way of determining if one is a better choice from a protein standpoint?

tressie007
on 4/8/11 2:26 am
I'd really like to chat with you. I enjoy all your tips and posts they are really,really,helpful. You have made a wonderful transformation. I am almost 6 months out and having an emotional whirlwind I guess.
happyhealing
on 4/8/11 2:24 am
Well fish is healthier and I look at the package for the protein grams.  One small piece of talapia has almost 14 grams, I've been eating that every day.  The parameters given were in my booklet, it just said to take into account protein, carbs, sugar, and calories, and to be mindful of them.  I eat cheese that is high in protein, low in calories.  I think that answers your ?
Cleopatra_Nik
on 4/8/11 2:25 am - Baltimore, MD
Yes it does! Thanks. I'm working on doing some basic information about protein on my blog and I'm wondering how newer folks approach protein choices. It's important for me to understand that before I can hope to help anyone make a good or better choice.

Thanks for answering!

Most Active
Recent Topics