OT -- Question for people who fly often

DallasBBWmom
on 4/11/11 10:34 pm - TX
My family leaves Thursday for a week in Disney World!  YAY!!!

Thankfully this year I am not worrying about fitting in the seat for once. That is a huge accomplishment for me.

I have once question that I can not seem to find the answer to online... Do medications have to be stored in the original bottle? Both me and my son take prescription medicines but I store them in a pill keeper and thow the bottles away. Would it make a difference if I check the meds vs keeping them in my carry on?

Thanks!!

Lori
laura_vermont
on 4/11/11 10:41 pm
I fly a few times a year.  I don't know the official stance -- but I always carry meds in their original prescription bottles.  Better safe than sorry.  Obviously, liquid meds, I leave in the bottle and declare at security.  I have not had any issues getting through.
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

MultiMom
on 4/11/11 10:57 pm - NH
I always have mine in a daily pill keeper in my carry-on and have never had a problem, internationally or domestic.

Have fun at Disney World!!!

Martha

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

cgnnala
on 4/11/11 11:24 pm
I used a pill planner as well. I took a list of my medications so TSA could see what I was taking should they ask, they never have. Liquid medications such as insulin I kept in the original bottles in a cooler, they would look at those. Keep meds in your carry on, the cold or heat in the belly of the plane is not good for meds and you are separated from them.

Referral date: December 9, 2010                   First appointment: January 17, 2011
Approved for surgery: February 23, 2011     Surgery date: March 14, 2011

Onederland: May 9, 2011  
                             Diabetes-GONE, HBP-GONE (no meds since 3/13)
turningpoint
on 4/11/11 11:40 pm, edited 4/11/11 11:41 pm
I would advise you keep them stored in their original contianer, although I do not believe you are required to.

Last year when boarding a cruise, the lady in front of me got stopped by a drug dog and was given quite a hard time.  If the pills had been in their original containers, she would have been quick to prove what they were and that they were hers, but with lose pills it took much longer to clear her. 
Emily
HW/SW/GW/CW
249/236/135/133.6  
OceanBluzs
on 4/12/11 2:16 am - LA
I travel several weeks a month for work and always keep my meds in a pill keeper .. in my laptop bag. I've never been questioned about them.

Carolyn

Carebearny1999
on 4/12/11 2:40 am, edited 4/12/11 2:41 am - Rochester, NY
official TSA stance is unless it's liquid it does NOT have to be in original bottles, however I keep mine in the original bottles to prevent the hassle!
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/index.shtm

http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/special_needs_memo.pdf

JudiJudi T
on 4/12/11 3:38 am
I travel with a pill keeper in my carry on .. never been questioned about it.  

Before/after pic in my profile.  
Surgery: Dec 2009, lost 100 lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics