The 5 most important questions to ask yourself when evaluating a food choice

Cleopatra_Nik
on 4/19/11 8:57 am - Baltimore, MD
I see a lot of posts asking when/if it is ok to eat certain foods. How bad is this food? Should I never eat that food?

We all answer from what our surgeon's told us or from personal experience, but the MOST valuable tool you can give yourself for the long run is the aptitude to investigate food choices. I cover that a lot on Bariatric Foodie...how to determine what's a good and a not-so-good choice.

In my estimation here are the 5 MOST important questions to ask when considering a food:

#1 - How's the protein on this food?

All foods have nutritional values. For foods in grocery stores, you can tell the nutritional value from the Nutrition Facts label. Most restaurants have their nutrition information posted somewhere. In my state it is fast becoming the law in many counties to have it right on the menu. The first two things you should look at are the calories and the protein. A GOOD protein choice has about a gram of protein for every 10 calories. That's not to say if it doesn't you shouldn't eat it. But if it strays too far away from that ratio you need to ask yourself...

#2 - What nutritional value does it give to me?

Is the food high in fiber and whole grains if it is a carb. Is it packed with beneficial fats? What does the food "bring to the table?" Newbies, especially, your pouch space is prime real estate. If it isn't bringing good nutrition, it needs to stay the HELL where it's at!

#3 - Will the amount I can eat meet the criteria of a good, balanced meal

Sure you can only eat three loaded nachos. But it's still not a good idea, especially since those three nachos will not give you good protein, fiber, or nutrients AND will keep you full for a long time. This is the realization I had to come to about peanut butter. The stuff keeps me sated for HOURS. But for what? 200 calories and 7g of protein? I coulda had a protein shake!

#4 - Is this food likely to make me dump?

For some of you that should be question #1 or #2. For me it's #4 because if I've gone through the first three, I've weeded out dumping prospects. The important point here is sugar is sneaky. It operates under many different names. And even the natural kinds can make you sick at first. The ONLY way to know what you are eating is to read the label!

#5 - Will eating this food make me react in such a way that will impede my progress?

Will you beat yourself up about the choice, leading to more bad choices. Will you beat yourself up about the choice, leading to not eating? Some foods we just need to leave alone. It's like that old boyfriend or girlfriend who is no good for you. Yes, you get a few moments of pleasure from being with them but is it worth the lifetime of painful memories? Not so much.

There are a good many more things you should consider when considering food. And yes, I am aware this is a lot to think about but that's the point. Think about what you are about to put into your mouth. If you give yourself a few moments to ponder it, you most likely can thwart even the strongest cravings urging you to make bad decisions.

Food for thought.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

CarolineM
on 4/19/11 9:08 am

HW 400   SW 355    CW 178   GW 180           5'10"

babybooo828
on 4/19/11 9:48 am
 Thanks for sharing this. I find it very helpful and insightful!

Most Active
Recent Topics