Rant/Embarrassing Problem

Favored2 BeMe
on 4/22/11 4:11 am - TX
HI all. I had surgery on the 19th of this month, was released to go home the next day, and thought everything went fine and was routine. Come to find out, they found a mass on my liver and had to biopsy it.  I didn't find any of that out until yesterday when someone from my surgeon's office called and told me I needed to go in for a CT scan.  Today I had someone at the hospital get me the results of my biopsy an I'm guessing everything is okay after reading over it.  Needless to say I'm ticked that I had a biopsy and no one informed me or my family. Well here's the problem... yesterday I had some soup broth and ended up having the runs really bad.  Then today the lady at the hospital gave me the liquid to drink for the CT and while I was waiting the hour for the liquid to run through my system, it happened again. I was embarrassed but I really just need to know if this is a normal reaction to having surgery. The only other people that I know who have had the surgery have been constipated, but never anything like this.

ibeanniebe
on 4/22/11 4:19 am - NM
Well its kinda like this.... liquids in means pretty much liquids out. The constipation part comes when you start eating solid food again. Sorry you had to find it out this way. Hopw it gets better soon.
Ann and the 'Bean'
Blogs mysecondhalfoflife.blogspot.com/ and amanicinsomniacsreadinglist.blogspot.com/

High/Surg/current/goal - 320/253/150/healthy - I am 5' 3" tall - Size 8 now! Past surgeon's goal now!

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/22/11 4:22 am
The liquid for CT scan gives me the runs. Every time. And my friend has that too. 
Not sure why... it just is. Not everyone reacts like that to that. But some of us do.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

theresam74
on 4/22/11 5:13 am
I had diarhea the first week after surgery. I'm sure it was from the liquids and a reaction to the stress of surgery.

PopeyesGirl
on 4/22/11 5:22 am - OH
Check to see if you are lactose intolerant. I changed things to lacaid with much more success in the "business" dept!

DeeNadj
on 4/22/11 5:55 am - Malmstrom AFB, MT
I'm sorry no one felt like the liver issue was something you needed to know. Um, it's YOUR liver, and what if (God forbid) you need some other procedure? Oh by the way... That's ridiculous.
Dee
RNY March 21, 2011!! I'm feeling great!!
Busy Mommy of 4, Proud USAF Wife, Quilter, and TRIATHLETE!!               
Price S.
on 4/22/11 6:04 am - Mills River, NC
Glad they saw it, glad it was nothing to be concerned over.
I think surgery can cause both runs and constipation.  Depending on you and your body.  You will be on more food soon and hopefully it will resolve.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Mary V.
on 4/22/11 7:07 am
I do believe that everyone is so different, but, then there are those that have the same issues... so it's rather hard to respond to this. I didn't have any problems with constipation,  or even the runs (except when I've eaten chocolate)...but overall  I've never had much of an issue with that area, so maybe I'm just lucky. I do know I've gotten the runs whenever I've eaten something I shouldn't like chocolate! and like most have stated already, it could just be related to the liquid they gave you. wish you the best.....hoping all goes smoothly for you, and most of all; welcome to the losers bench! this is one hellofa ride, but, oh so worth it! God bless you for making the best decision of your life with this surgery....it's only been a positive result for me thus far.
Mary V.'s new lifelong journey has begun!                    
bowknot
on 4/22/11 7:21 am
I had diarrhea while on liquids.  Things firmed up with I started eating solid foods.

Good luck on your journey!
chrissyemerald
on 4/22/11 7:47 am - Canada
 First week after surgery I had it too, no worries there. There's nothing solid in your system so it's going to come out in the same form lol.
Most Active
Recent Topics