...And the magic bathing suit number is...

Cleopatra_Nik
on 4/28/11 9:07 pm, edited 4/28/11 9:09 pm - Baltimore, MD
Darn my camera!!! When I want it to use flash...no flash. When I don't want it to use fla**** whites everything out. But if you COULD see the picture (it's just not worth the effort of trying to post it) you would see that the size of the bathing suit is...

A 2x or 18/20.

My point in doing this is NOT to complain or brag. Clothing size is immaterial to me (pun intended). My point is that our size is made up of a bunch of different factors, clothing size being one of them.

I'm at the point in MY journey where I really don't care what size the label says. If it looks good on me it looks good. The way companies design clothes is kinda whack but I can't let that alter my reality. When I saw this suit I thought, "that's so cute! I think it'll fit me!" I was all in it and practicing slinky poses before my mom pointed out that it was hers. And it was sort of a wow moment for me. Because I didn't freak out. In fact I simply continued posing in the mirror ;)

For most other clothes (that are sanely sized) I wear between a 10 and a 12 or a size large (if I want tops that hug a bit I get mediums as is the t-shirt you see in my avatar AND the jacket). But this bathing suit goes to show that clothing size is TRULY just a number.

One more note...I TOTALLY stole this suit from my mom (and yes it does fit her too. It's like the SIsterhood of the traveling smokin hot bathing suit). But don't tell her!!!! Shhhhhh!

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

Steen16
on 4/28/11 9:26 pm - Cape Coral, FL
I am so with you on the whole size thing right now. I'm, in most brands, a 14 and sometimes a 12 in pants, and a large on top. But the bathing suit industry is whacked with their sizes! My boobs completely fell out of a 14 and there is no way those are sized right on top. My mom and I had a too many laughs last weekend when I tried new ones on. At one point she was laughing so hard she had to sit back down as I stood there with my arms up and a tankini half off strangling me. I have yet to find a suit, though. I was truly thinking of going to Lane Bryant to get one just so it fits on top! And you know, I didn't feel a bit bad about that even though I swore I'd never step foot back into that store.
Highest ever: 297
Pre-Op: 272 (height: 5' 7")
As of November 3rd: 159 (6 BELOW goal!!!!)
Goal: 165 
Pants size: 10  Shirt size: M

DisneyLover
on 4/28/11 10:53 pm - WI
try Lands End.  They have some nice suits.  I am going to replace my large one with another from them.  They have a huge selection.

Sarah

laura_vermont
on 4/28/11 10:42 pm
  Thank you for the morning smile, ladies!  I need to get just a new tankini top -- my now non-existant "girls" need to be covered adequately. 

Yes, size is just a number - and a pretty random one.  I have clothes in my closet from size 4 to 10. 
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

Mara C.
on 4/29/11 1:35 am - Millbury, MA
I don't know if you are suffering from the same "non-existant girls" I am or not... but I now feel flat as a board.  I found a tankini at VS that is made using the same "miraculous" bra that I now NEED.  And I got it the other day (make you look two cup sizes larger).. OMG LOVE IT!!!  Here's the info if you are interested: http://www.victoriassecret.com/ss/Satellite?ProductID=126543 7423757&c=Page&cid=1300105508610&pagename=vsdWrapper

I decided to get a plain black swim shirt somewhere else since theirs are too short.
              LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat      RNY Maintenance

"Create your day"
Susank505
on 4/28/11 11:07 pm - Mt. Pleasant, MI
Bathing suit???? 

I haven't owned one in YEARS????   MAYBE this year..... maybe. 
~Susan~    HT 5'6"
HW 278 / PRE-OP 270 / SW 260 / CW 197/ GW 150

WOOHOOO!!!!  I AM 60.8% TO MY GOAL WEIGHT!!!!!
"Be the change you want to see in the World" - Ghandi

(deactivated member)
on 4/28/11 11:25 pm - NJ
I may shopping in Justice or PS with my daughter for a bathing suit this year....all the "grown up" tops are meant for girls that have boobies; mine are smaller than my 9 year old's....although she tells me mine are "longer" than hers.

Anyone know of any mix and match bathing suits that come in very small tops?  My bottom could be between a 0 and 4, depending on the cut.

From one extreme to the other - in 2008 I was bursting out of a 16/18, now I can't find one that fits!
SweetGatorGirl
on 4/28/11 11:45 pm - Gainesville, FL
I was looking at Target the other day and they have very cute mix/match separates.  Try there.
HW 252/SW 243/GW 135/CW 146                

(deactivated member)
on 4/28/11 11:56 pm - NJ
Thanks - you know, even though I have been able to shop everywhere for a while, I still forget I am not limited to one store (like Lane Bryant) anymore.  Crazy, isn't it?

TheButterflye
on 4/29/11 12:16 am - Prince Georges County, MD
 @ "longer"!! Oh how I wish I couldn't relate! LOL  

Most Active
Recent Topics