weight lo ss before the surgery

megan cruz
on 5/2/11 2:22 pm - CO
So, my surgeon said he would like for me to loose 15-20 lbs. before the surgery. i havent lost anything yet. now i dont have my surgery date either. im kinda worried that he wont perform the surgery unless i loose the weight. please, give advice wise ones
LJ1972
on 5/2/11 2:39 pm - FL
My surgeon didn't give me a specific amount to lose, but my insurance has a 6mth diet requirement. If you don't have a nutritionist to talk to, use google to find how many calories you should be taking in for your height and weight - then get those calories from lean proteins (go ahead and start protein shakes) , veggies (lots) and a serving or so of fruit.
Also, if your doctor has cleared you for exercise, even starting out slowly is better than nothing.

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

immafatgirl
on 5/2/11 2:54 pm - KY
u have to lose wight to shrink ur  liver . if not they wont do it
Lady Lithia
on 5/2/11 3:28 pm
What I would do, if I was preparing for this surgery, is

a) stop drinking with your meals or for thirty minutes afterwards
b) replace one meal with a protein shake, or even just a No Sugar Added Carnation Instant Breakfast added to milk.
c) stop eating the "white" stuff..... white sugar, white flour, white rice, white potatos.. (and foods with those in them)
d) make small protein forward meals, with 1/2 cup veggies and four to six ounces of lean meats

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

rlw99
on 5/2/11 10:32 pm - Oakland, CA
I second what Lady Lithia said.

lee12197
on 5/2/11 11:25 pm
RNY on 02/28/11 with
I had to lose 15-20 lbs as well. My first surgery date was spose to be jan 31st. However when i went in in the middle of jan i had only lost 11 lbs. They rescheduled my surgery for feb 28th. I was so upset i cried right there in the office...The surgeon explained to me that one of the reasons he was doing this is he was worried about my stomach being too large for him to manuver with the tools he needed to, and if that happened they would either have to switch to an open surgery or it would take them a lot longer to do the surgery. His diet regime consisted of me eating 2 eggs and a piece of dry toast for breakfast, and a lean cusine healthy choice etc etc for lunch and dinner. I was not allowed to have the ones that were all pasta however. Once i started being honest and really sticking to that plan i lost 41 lbs from the middle of jan to feb 28th. He told me i didnt even have to worry about exercise but i did do moderate exercising...2-3 days on the treadmil a week

Most Active
Recent Topics